Thrash Racer - my Banger Racing game project

Archie

Full time wrecker
Hello, this is an early prototype of the racing game I´m working on, and the start of my feature video series.
My original idea was to make a simulator of american demolition derby, but I found out about banger racing (on these forums actually) and decided to go more that way.
I´m working on a site for the game with more details on the features, but I´ll just copypaste some from the video description here;

Test Drive Eve Of Destruction/Driven To Destruction meets My Summer Car in this banger racing/destruction derby/life simulator/car building and thrashing game set up in 80´s UK.

You can follow the progress of this game on Twitter too now;
https://twitter.com/ThrashRacerGame

THRASH RACER

This is my racing game project that I´m working on. You can buy used cars from a scrapyard and repair them to work enough for banger racing.
Then travel to the race track and hope it makes it through the race weekend, and either scrap what´s left or use it as parts donor for your next race car.
You can also do side jobs to earn extra money, like work a car crusher at the scrapyard.
Compete in championship for different types of vehicles, and extra side events during the race weekends.
Everything on the cars is destructible, frames bend, every part can fall off down to just a driver seat (which can also fall off), liquids leak and soak the road, mechanical parts wear and give up.
You are always in control of your character, can walk around, work on your car and under it, and climb aboard behind the steering wheel, operate buttons and seatbelts in 1st person (+ some extra outside camera modes when driving). If you happen to break or roll your car during a race, you can crawl out and run behind the safety fence.
Also, try to avoid getting hit doing that because you are also destructible, and can end up hospitalized or dead.

Driving model is aimed at realism, with support for FFB racing wheels and H-shifters, but it´s also fully playable with a keyboard with some driving helpers.
This is an early prototype, I´ve been mostly working on the AI system and the racing itself so far, it´s missing things like any graphics at all and proper sounds.

Last edited:

The Very End

Weeked Smasher
Master Blaster
Looks can be deciving! As the video progressed I was more and more impressed by the damage system and how the collisions interactions was - they felt impactfull and believeable enough to feel very satisfactional. Impressive work!

Just a small warning, scope! Seems like you want to do a bit of everything, which is no critism - other than it will be very hard to pull it off. Then again, if it is a personal love project with no fixed time horizon (continous development), then that can work too, and be sort of the "goals in the horizon" to work towads / visions.

If it ever gets to a somewhat product that is going to be released, there are people here that probably could help you out / join in on the effort. Sam is the go-to guy for vehicles, while I might be able to make a track or two :)

Archie

Full time wrecker
Thanks!
I´ve built kind of a "semi-softbody" system, that combines rigged parts and joint systems with the commonly used vertex damage system.
It´s not real softbody simulation, that games like BeamNG and Insane utilize, but it gives more realistic collision and driving physics than just having a one big static collider like most racing games use that feels and looks like just two boxes hitting together.
Basically, the frame is made of several parts that are joined together that can flex and bend in collisions and bumps, with vertex damage added on top of that. This system took a long time to get working properly, but I´m pretty happy how it turned out.

I am aware that this project will take years to be finished. I have been focusing first on the core part that is the racing of course. :)
Most of the features I´ve listed are already working in the game, besides the open-world stuff. Some are de-activated and they all need work, but the base concepts are working already. :>
I am building a core that I can continue building from. First comes the racing, with one car model for testing all the features and simulated systems they will have, the AI system, driving and damage physics.
Then, I´ll continue working on the race event system, repairing mechanics, points and division system and such. Open-world aspects come after that.
My goal is to make a proper single-player career mode, like in the oldern days, but with the new possibilities that modern tech has opened.

Last edited:

Archie

Full time wrecker
Some updates to the AI system to make it more aggressive, now it attemps to ram anyone it "sees" on the sides.
Follow-ins are not active at the moment. Needs more balancing, but at least now every car doesn´t usually end up in a pile in the middle of the track :D

Archie

Full time wrecker
Many new updates!
I´ll list some here;
-Improved perfomance
-Physics overhaul to fix bugs with wheels and tire pressures
-Damper, spring and tire damage
-Accumulating metal fatigue to frame from smaller impacts
-Fixed steering, no more wobbling front wheels
-Solid axle and crude progressive leaf spring simulation
-Many updates for the AI
-Slightly new name

Most of these cannot be really seen here, but also a new video! Pls ignore the current "movie" tires that screech on dirt!

Oh and if you have one of these thingies, you can follow me on Twit too now;

Reactions: TT

kingmonty

This is some great stuff.
I can see this becoming a spiritual successor to D2D.

Once you sort out graphics, sounds, and environment, i'm sure myself and many others would love to see some D2D inspired events and game modes. Hearse races, figure 8 jump race, BATTLE MODE PLEASE LORD!!!!, and trailer races.

Good work, man!

kingmonty

Many new updates!
I´ll list some here;
-Improved perfomance
-Physics overhaul to fix bugs with wheels and tire pressures
-Damper, spring and tire damage
-Accumulating metal fatigue to frame from smaller impacts
-Fixed steering, no more wobbling front wheels
-Solid axle and crude progressive leaf spring simulation
-Many updates for the AI
-Slightly new name

Most of these cannot be really seen here, but also a new video! Pls ignore the current "movie" tires that screech on dirt!

Oh and if you have one of these thingies, you can follow me on Twit too now;
When the game is ready and it's super fun to play, i'd love to work with you for marketing!!

Archie

Full time wrecker
This is some great stuff.
I can see this becoming a spiritual successor to D2D.

Once you sort out graphics, sounds, and environment, i'm sure myself and many others would love to see some D2D inspired events and game modes. Hearse races, figure 8 jump race, BATTLE MODE PLEASE LORD!!!!, and trailer races.

Good work, man!
Thanks! I´m planning to have several "minigames" as side events that most of are based on actual races that were held along banger races, I don´t know if they are still today, might be.
I have some interesting technology for trailer races that I´ve been testing, but that is a future thing. :D

Currently I´m working on the character system and it´s interactions with the car, and repairing system between events.

I must say I never had D2D myself, so my experience of it is based on others playing it. :/
But I have some kind of a picture of the events in it. I don´t remember battle mode tho, what was it?

kingmonty

Thanks! I´m planning to have several "minigames" as side events that most of are based on actual races that were held along banger races, I don´t know if they are still today, might be.
I have some interesting technology for trailer races that I´ve been testing, but that is a future thing. :D

Currently I´m working on the character system and it´s interactions with the car, and repairing system between events.

I must say I never had D2D myself, so my experience of it is based on others playing it. :/
But I have some kind of a picture of the events in it. I don´t remember battle mode tho, what was it?
Ah man you have me so excited!!

Battle mode is set in large multiplayer maps, where each player has 5 lives and can smash, ram or shoot explosive chickens to destroy the other (2-4) players.
The large open map allows for high speed chases, handbrake turns and great jumps to happen, all while being shot at by an explosive, spinning chicken.

If the chicken does not hit the car, it continues to roll until it hits a solid object, and then detonates.
The car can only fire 1 chicken every 5 seconds.

If both cars are too close when the detonation happens, they both receive damage.

My family and I have been playing this game mode since I got the game in 2004 and it never fails to entertain for hours on end!

This is the only video I could find on it so far.

Archie

Full time wrecker
Oh yeah, I found the Chicken race video too, but wasn´t sure it was that. :D
I cannot promise net multiplayer, I haven´t really looked into it yet, don´t know if it is even possible with this game. :L
But I have some theory how it MAYBE could work, but don´t hold your breath on that.
Splitscreen multiplayer works already, tho.

I was playing (and modding) Insane for pc at that time (for some decades since 2001), it had some interesting game modes I might take inspiration from too.
I recommend trying that game out too if you haven´t, it can be found at least on GOG.

Also, some max speed testing and rolling, at least the driver should still be safe :)
crush.jpg

Last edited:

kingmonty

Oh yeah, I found the Chicken race video too, but wasn´t sure it was that. :D
I cannot promise net multiplayer, I haven´t really looked into it yet, don´t know if it is even possible with this game. :L
But I have some theory how it MAYBE could work, but don´t hold your breath on that.
Splitscreen multiplayer works already, tho.

I was playing (and modding) Insane for pc at that time (for some decades since 2001), it had some interesting game modes I might take inspiration from too.
I recommend trying that game out too if you haven´t, it can be found at least on GOG.

Also, some max speed testing and rolling, at least the driver should still be safe :)
View attachment 5717
I will absolutely will try Insane out!

It's great to see a developer who is so passionate about the genre of game he is creating!!

Can't wait to see what you post next ;)