Thrash Racer - my Banger Racing game project

Archie

Full time wrecker
I´ve been doing some experimentation on body on frame designs,
I´m attempting to make them behave differently from the unibody structures.
Lots of chassis flex and twisting for a softer ride, also behaves bit differently in crashes.

There are no springs or shocks installed on this car here, only flexing is from the frame :)

Archie

Full time wrecker
Experimenting some more on the body on frame chassis types, I attempted to simulate body mount bushings and what happens when they wear out to the point they break.
The body has some not-supposed-to-be-there movement and rotation on the frame for the play in the bushings, and starts slamming onto it on jumps. :D
The limits are set pretty extreme here so I could see what was happening.
Also, forgot that I set the tire pressures to 4 bars, made for a quite bouncy ride

Also, this :D

Last edited:

Archie

Full time wrecker
I did some experimenting how stretch limos with extra physical parts in the middle cope with the physics system, so far everything seems to be going smoothly! :)
The effects are a bit exaggerated here, the frame has the rigidity of jelly

It got stuck often on the test terrain :D

I tried to drive it out tho but it´s like

Last edited:
Reactions: TT

TT

Yee-ha!

Shaping up very nicely.

Gives me hope for the possibility of the somehow neglected offroad hearse racing genre.

Archie

Full time wrecker
Been doing some modelling again after a while, so the character can drive properly :)

Last edited:

Archie

Full time wrecker
Here´s a feature that I´m not sure will be modelled or made with textures,
depends on the perfomance cost I´ll get.
Modelled tire tread that dynamically wears out, allows visual simulation of flat spots too, by altering y and z scale :)

TT

Interesting idea.

For the flat spot at the bottom, one way to do it would be to just sink the tire down a half inch or so into the ground.

Compressing the tire is an interesting way to do it too.

Heh, trying to simulate simulate flat spots on other places that resulted from the car being parked too long on the same spot could be kind of tough.

When you get to calculating seat cushion dampening and compression for the driver, you know you're really getting hard core.

Archie

Full time wrecker
When you get to calculating seat cushion dampening and compression for the driver, you know you're really getting hard core.
Yep, that is coming :D

I´ll test when I get the races back what is the impact of all these calculations.
I had quite a lot of stuff going on in the earlier tests, like invidual cylinders firing simulated on all 20 cars, it still ran fine. :)

The current flat spot "simulation" makes visible flat spots on both sides of the tire, and alternates values of grip and wheel size during rotation (you see why this might get cpu heavy :D)
I was thinking locking the wheels during braking would produce flat spots, and tire wear would even out the differences.
Old tires that have sat a long time deforming is a funny idea too, I could do that since all the cars are bought from the scrapyard and they are all pretty used up. :D
I was thinking also the rubber could have hardened and cracked if they are really old, resulting in worse properties.

Last edited:

HighontheLived

The whole thing looks amazing and I feel like playing myself. However, I have a question, what happens to the cars at 4:15?
Is this the end of the route, or is the intelligence of the opponents crazy as a result of the crash?
I'm impressed

Archie

Full time wrecker
The whole thing looks amazing and I feel like playing myself. However, I have a question, what happens to the cars at 4:15?
Is this the end of the route, or is the intelligence of the opponents crazy as a result of the crash?
I'm impressed
Thanks!
If you mean the first video, and the cars all packing up in the same spot, it was probably just a crash in the corner and the early version of the AI had a habit of piling into each other :D
They actually tried to avoid the pileup, but every one of them saw and braked too late.
The player car in the first video is also driven by AI

It was better with the updated AI, sometimes they still got into massive pileups, but there were some actual good racing too, without a giant crash every few laps :D
I´m rebuilding the game logic system at the moment, races are not yet active, but I have the improved AI system to use as a base when I get there again.

Last edited: