St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
err said:
St. Jimmy said:
err said:
pepper with no upgrades - 3rd place best, very much up to luck
Got myself 2nd with upgrades. Still left behind about 14s after the first :p

Btw your Pepper is upgraded. My Pepper goes as fast as yours with full upgrades. You could've won that even.
It had no upgrades, with upgrades it quite easy to win.
Unupgraded Pepper doesn't accelerate after the first hairpin to 150kph before the next corner. It goes only to 130kph. If you've bought the parts anywhere in the career they might get bugged so you really have those even though you can buy them second time. I noticed this when I bought all the engine parts and my hp didn't raise at all.

For SunnyNewEngland:

That was with keyboard, automatic because keyboard and normal handling. I could do it with professional handling because it's easy to counter oversteering in "first person" so there's basically zero difference for me unless I screw up and drop to a very low speed.

SunnyNewEngland

Master Blaster
Team Bugbear Member
Thanks, St. Jimmy!

Since easing up on my nitrous ban I finished silver class, no problem. Fairgrass Cup was the only race that needed nitro, and I probably could have waited for a lucky race (in which the A.I. takes each other out).

I just minutes ago won gold in Fairgrass Challenge with no nitro! Personal favorites Whattahoo Wham, Brad's Sandrun, and Fincheley Timberdash, all gold, no nitrous.
Didn't know the Pepper could do this. Haven't gotten to the serious races yet, though.

This is all with X360 controller, manual transmission, and professional handling in a fully upgraded Pepper.

Thanks for the guidance and inspiration. I'll pray to you tonight, St. Jimmy! ;D

SunnyNewEngland

Master Blaster
Team Bugbear Member
St. Jimmy said:
SunnyNewEngland said:
St. Jimmy said:
If you can beat Glod Bay Challenge with pepper then you can beat everything. 4th place was max what I could get.
This is very impressive. My hat's off to you. I'm inspired to give it another effort with the Pepper.

Did you get gold in all the other races?
I tested 5 maps and I won those but that Bay Challenge I can't. AI doesn't make any mistake in that map and too much asphalt and straight road.
Important thing to remember is that Ai doesn't make mistakes if it is alone so you better be the first one after the first few corners or hope that other AI makes the leader to make a mistake.
I beat Bay Challenge! 3rd place only, so far, but now I don't think Bay Challenge is the hardest race.

I can't place top 3 in Finchley Challenge. This may actually be the most difficult race for the Pepper.

We all assumed Bay Challenge was the hardest but what say you, St. Jimmy? Is Finchley one of the 5 maps you tested before getting Gold on Bay Challenge? I think Finchley Challenge is the true test.

By the way, this all happened a couple months ago and I've been playing NextCarGame since. I can't blame anyone for lacking the drive for FlatOut these days. All these updates coming out this week... that new car... I cannot wait for online multiplayer!

I'm still curious how everyone else is doing, though! AltS7, RacerBest? JonasNL, I know you were grinding away in the Grinder! Did you win or has NextCarGame transported everyone to the next plateau?

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
I can't now remember but I'll check on weekend when I'm home. I remember that the Bay Challenge was the hardest one and I could beat other races. There were couple hard ones but I beat those more easily than Bay Challenge.

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
Finchley Challenge is also a hard one but I beat it before the Bay Challenge. First corner is pretty critical and you need to cut through it perfectly. Also the last corner shortcut jump can be a challenge sometimes.

SunnyNewEngland

Master Blaster
Team Bugbear Member
Thanks for checking that on the weekend and getting back to me with it.

I had no idea about that last corner shortcut jump. :-[ I should be able to win now with that bit of critical knowledge.

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
Really curious with the NCG! hopefully there will be sort of a storyline, or something unique that has not been done in the FO games!

SunnyNewEngland

Master Blaster
Team Bugbear Member
I got the credits to roll, baby!! I am a champeen! I took the Pepper to the limit!

I won gold in all the regular races and bonus races except for my 3 nemeses: Bay Challenge, Finchley Challenge, and Gravel Supersmash. But, I managed to place top 3 in each of those and so the credits rolled and I was the champeen.

Finally beat Finchley Challenge with some delightfully aggressive maneuvering and one outstanding save on the last corner shortcut jump where my front bumper snagged something on the lip causing me to spin 180 degrees in mid-air. I landed backwards at speed, kept rolling, yanked the wheel (analog stick) sideways to spin back around another 180 degrees, quickly looked back to position myself in front of Sue O'Neill who was whipping around the corner, took a hard hit to slow her down and bring myself back up to speed. Mashed the gas while Sue passed me in the straight and as she slowed into that critical first corner I continued to accelerate, slammed her from behind which drove her into the jersey barriers and slowed me to the precise speed needed for cutting that corner perfectly. It was so good I watched the replay like 5 times. :D
Still, only managed to get 3rd. I'll gloat more when I wring more gold out of the game.

Bigg.I

Hi guys, I am new there in community.
I have played so many racing games and simulators.
Your challenge interested me very much.
THERE IS MY RESULT:
Game Completed 100% with BULLET
Game Completed 100% with Pepper :) ( finally, it took me 1 week)
SETTINGS:
automatic gearbox, professional handling, keyboard used ;)

SunnyNewEngland

Master Blaster
Team Bugbear Member
Bigg.I said:
Hi guys, I am new there in community.
I have played so many racing games and simulators.
Your challenge interested me very much.
THERE IS MY RESULT:
Game Completed 100% with BULLET
Game Completed 100% with Pepper :) ( finally, it took me 1 week)
SETTINGS:
automatic gearbox, professional handling, keyboard used ;)
Nice work, Bigg.I. It's not so easy with the Pepper. Welcome to the forums.

SunnyNewEngland

Master Blaster
Team Bugbear Member
Cpt.Teewurst said:
i almost trough gold with the Grinder on Professional handling :p
That's pretty damn impressive, Cpt. Teewurst! The Grinder's a slippery son of a gun. Do you know what we call a big sandwich full of meat here in New England? A Grinder. You keep it up and show that minced meat pork and bacon sandwich on wheels who's its Captain!

K

KingOfTheCakes

I remember beating every gold and silver race once with a fully upgraded Grinder (back when I played this game constantly!). It was and still one of my favorite cars in the game.

don't know if there are still people playing flatout 1, but since i read this thread on sunday, i'm trying...

i took the blocker and made bronze without upgrades, silver with only few ones (most standard or nothing at all), only the fucking bay cup needed some more.
many gold tracks are way easier than that race so i tried it about a hundred times to just get a 3rd place by luck for trying gold with that low-upgraded car but didn't get it.
do you have problems there too or am i doing something wrong?

nevertheless i'm now in gold cup hunting medals with blocker, got half of the tracks already, let's see if i can get the hard ones you mentioned (finchley, bay and fairgrass challenge)

biggest prob i have with the blocker are the AI suicide bombers that push me off the track at any cost :mad:

got first in fairgrass challenge, first in finchley challenge which was a lucky one. katie wanted to pass me in last lap on that fast part but as i kept pushing her car we both crashed in the timber truck. we were far ahead so i could reset and win the race. 8)

bay challenge 2nd because i was too stupid to drive it clean to the end, crashed in second-to-last corner and lost my first place. :'(

hardest challenge in that blocker is gravel supersmash where i don't even get a 3rd rank til now.

but don't mistake me, i needed many attempts for that bay challenge (and also the other ones mentioned), never got it again to first place in lap 3 since that :-X crash...

SunnyNewEngland

Master Blaster
Team Bugbear Member
WorldofBay said:
don't know if there are still people playing flatout 1, but since i read this thread on sunday, i'm trying...

i took the blocker and made bronze without upgrades, silver with only few ones (most standard or nothing at all), only the fucking bay cup needed some more.
many gold tracks are way easier than that race so i tried it about a hundred times to just get a 3rd place by luck for trying gold with that low-upgraded car but didn't get it.
do you have problems there too or am i doing something wrong?

nevertheless i'm now in gold cup hunting medals with blocker, got half of the tracks already, let's see if i can get the hard ones you mentioned (finchley, bay and fairgrass challenge)

biggest prob i have with the blocker are the AI suicide bombers that push me off the track at any cost :mad:
reinstalled flatout after reading your post this weekend. started playing with the blocker.

bronze class was a breeze; gold in each race - no upgrades, no nitro.

now silver class is tough. so far i've got 2 1st place, 1 2nd, and the rest are 3rd, but i can't beat the fairgrass cup. i started using nitro, still can't beat it. i really, really would like to beat it without upgrades so i can see how far the blocker can go in gold class with no upgrades.

this is the great thing about wreckfest, we'll be upgrading and downgrading c class cars as we see fit, and taking them as far as we wish.

all right, you want to know about the fucking bay cup? i'll tell you about that fucker. :D
i restarted that race maybe 50 times getting, at best, 5th place several times. then i thought about it and remembered i was at such a deficit in my little old blocker that there can be no shame in taking shortcuts (not in the silver class races and especially not in the gold class). so i started cutting through the pit area - it runs parallel to the straight on which the start/finish line sits, just cut left a little sooner than you normally would and then use the ramp to jump over the barrier and back onto the track - and ended up coming in third, easily.

but i think this reveals the rubberbanding in flatout - which i continue to think is pleasantly subtle. in my previous 50 tries i'd gotten faster total times and had overall cleaner races when i came in 5th, but with the shortcut, a slower time and a sloppier race garnered me third. so maybe it unveils the strings being pulled in the background or maybe it just showcases the variable uniqueness of each race. either way the shortcut works.

so now i'm at a crossroads: do i buy a turbocharger to beat fairgrass cup or do i keep banging my head against the steering wheel while trying to win with no upgrades?
either way i need to shore up my other wins in silver class and turn all those 3rd place finished into 1sts. maybe i'll have such a time attempting that that i'll upgrade out of sheer frustration, because some of those 3rd place wins could easily have been 1st or 2nd, but some... i dunno, even getting 3rd was tough.

so that's that.
how did fairgrass cup treat you? i figure you'd upgraded a bit by then.. which upgrades do you think would be minimally sufficient?

hadn't played flatout in a while, so thanks for posting and bringing inspiration!

i upgraded first engine upgrade for the first pinewood and as i remember some tire upgrades later on.
loved it how the blocker jumps perfect on pinewood crashup.

after upgrading a turbocharger the blocker startet bugging. it was visually fully upgraded from that point (190 hp) but in the race it wans't. one time i saw a different strength of about ~170hp then again 190 all the time. but additional engine upgrades made it faster.
and i never used blocker before in any of my profiles, so no possibility of that type of bug.

i never used any cuts except on fairgrass cup. also i rarely used brakes since i made a "no brakes challenge" one day after which i was used to not braking at all.

i got to gold with turbocharger and first upgrade on many parts (not all and nowhere more than first) but i had the whole silver class on 1st then. gold class has some easy races but never underestimate them. if you lose control on that blocker after you bought some enigne upgrades on professional handling you may end up turning 720 degrees around before regaining control. especially on hayville. (which is the easiest map)

try whitefish lake and red pine river without brakes or nitro :D
then whattahoo town and hayville, too.
it's both possible with blocker but in one or two corners brakes are very useful.

i still have problems in gold class on gravel supersmash and bay challenge, both 2nd.

bonus class:
blocker is fastest car on super roundabout if fully upgraded, so no prob there. crash alley of course easy and circle of eight too.
i got a 1:22:51 in demolition sandpit which is quite luck and a 2:47:48 in super mud mayhem. so although blocker is a bad derby car already in bronze you can compete with gold and silver cars :p

SunnyNewEngland

Master Blaster
Team Bugbear Member
fairgrass cup proved to be impossible so i picked up a turbocharger. still couldn't beat fairgrass cup. for now i've put it down, i'll pick it back up when i'm feeling it. sometimes the mood isn't right for replaying the same track 50 times just to win by a hair. :p

i'll try the no brakes challenge when i get back to into it. downshifting is pretty effective in lieu of braking, so with that and controlled slides i should get far. nitro's a no-no in general; i used it on fairgrass cup to see if i could turn the tide and reach gold class without upgrades. wins with nitro aren't legit until the race is just about impossible, like the most difficult gold class races. shortcuts, on the other hand, i use without shame - they're risky enough and wear out my suspension. but maybe i haven't been hard enough on myself ! :D

"no brakes challenge" on keyboard is trying to win with only the three arrow keys left, right, up (driving backwards and resetting is sure allowed but i don't reset anyways if i don't have to)

it's not that hard, really, even if it's like i did with the only upgrades allowed tires and chassis. but no brakes challenge of course includes derbies ;)

i've tried it because i often heard people whining about the arcade flatout2 physics making driving so much easier than in flatout1. but in flatout2 it's impossible without brakes while flatout1 even supports it in derbies. also, every single tarmac race is a fullspeed track. not even no brakes but also no release.

KENT

St. Jimmy said:
OH YEAH I WON THE BAY CHALLENGE WITH PEPPER!
Thanks err for the vid. Took some hints and got myself first in the second lap thanks to the nitros and dirty manover. I got it recorded so I'll upload it tomorrow. All the other races are way more easier.
I'm play flatout!!How do you play ??