What are you playing?

I found myself picking up Dead Island from a Steam sale. Yes, even though Diablo III just came out and I haven't even played Mass Effect 3 yet... but something about it really appeals to me. Must be the cool eastern European vibe, where they take simulationism much further than in other territories. Like Stalker and also in some sense The Witcher. You can just tell they're from around there.

It is rather bugged on the PC and the movement is very clunky, but man, it's so oppressive. The first person melee works and as soon as there's more than one zombie on you and you can't remember how far the last checkpoint was - and you lose your weapons when you die - it's just intense. The hacky writing and acting fits the whole B-movie thing very well. Cool game, I'm happy it did well.

I really like Legend Of Grimrock, too, which has some of the same feel about it - relentless, unforgiving RPG action. Oh, and Dark Souls. Maybe I'm on a hard game phase, then.

RacerBest

Team Bugbear Member
Currently playing Dirt Showdown on PS3, which is fun but the crash physics could be better and needs more feel of speed. But overall it's very fun game.

On PC I play Need for Speed World everyday, I have been playing it since the release and I can't leave it. ;D

psychicparrot

Always look both ways before crossing the street.
Of course, I'm playing Ridge Racer: Unbounded ;) ... but also Driver: San Francisco. I really like the car physics in it and it's always fun jumping muscle cars over stuff (and as I VW Beetle fan I was really happy to find one to drive around in), but I'm not so sure about the game flow.. it feels kind of haphazard. The story is good enough, but there's just something about the game that doesn't gel with me and I can't put my finger on it... oh well, it's fun to play in short bursts at least!

The new Driver is my favorite car game from recent years. Certainly the only one I've actually completed, other than Ridge Racer Unbounded. Excited to see what they do next. I didn't think you could do a story in a driving game, but they really pulled it off.

RacerBest

Team Bugbear Member
Yes, the new Driver is amazing! Really, amazing achievement for a driving game: the best story I know in game! Also the online has nice game modes, handling is great and the carlist is not so typical. All kinds of funny cars.
Completed the story twice and then I have also done nice times to some challenges.

In classic car racing challenge I got to 7th place on world leaderboards (PS3). 8)

psychicparrot

Yeah I absolutely love the handling. The physics are beautiful. I think it's the freaky body floating stuff I don't like, although I do really appreciate that they tried to do something different. Great funky 70's tv show feel, though, isn't it?

psychicparrot

RacerBest - I tried Dirt Showdown and felt exactly the same. If they're going to go for the Flatout / Destruction crown you would think that they'd have made it a priority to give the most destructive experience possible.. I found the game really pretty and really well polished, but way too slow. Drifting wasn't much fun either. They had a decent drifting mechanic in Dirt3, but they actually seemed to have made it less intuitive in Showdown I thought. That franchise has just gone megabucks now, though, it seems. A lot of polish and flashy fireworky things but a bit of a hollow experience for me. That said, I'm not a fan of being shouted at by the game to upload my clips to YouTube because they're "Sick" and "Awesome" at the end of every race. It's just trying *too hard* to be cool when it would be much cooler if it stopped trying ;)

RacerBest

Team Bugbear Member
Yeah, I liked the Gymkhana more in Dirt 3 too.

BTW, who has played this awesome game on PS2 or Xbox: Driven to Destruction / Test Drive: Eve of Destruction

This is what I hoped Showdown to be. It's just epic. The game modes: everything from figure of eight to car soccer and crashing schoolbuses.. There's like over 20 game modes to chose from, each one is epic carnage. The driving feels perfect, not so arcade. There's even cockpit view and nice career mode. One of my favourite games. :)

John Burning

Create, destroy and dominate!
Team Bugbear Member
I'm playing in RRU and Driver: Parallel lines, such a great game! And sometimes in NFS: Hot Pursuit (2010).
By the way, the "Stuntman: Ignition" really interesting and cool, but... I bough my PS2 :-\

I just bought Alan Wake's American Nightmare from gog.com. It has a very promising start, but i've haven't had the time to play it for long (or any other game)..
I continued my Dead Island save too a while back, its nice game to play in short bits. I also like to go tactical with my friends in a mission of Arma II every now and then. And sooo many more.. but those are the most recent ones i guess..

KSFR

Bunnybear Says - Yappy happy whatever
RacerBest said:
On PC I play Need for Speed World everyday, I have been playing it since the release and I can't leave it. ;D
Same here, but i do not play it everyday anymore. login sometimes to do some races with my Lamborghini Countach 8)

Other games are...
Flatout 2 (about 5-8 hours a week)
Minecraft
Trackmania Nations Forever
Trackmania 2 Canyons

I find good games and stick with them :)

Tommi Tissari

Ye olde Bug!
At the moment i'm playing Max Payne 3 and Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. As a strategy game fan i'm eagerly waiting for the Gods & Kings explansion for CIV5.. 12 more days! ;D

I'm still so addicted to Star Wars: The Old Republic that I haven't had time to play anything else at home since it was released :) At work I've been recently playing NFS: The Run, Driver: San Francisco, Dirt Showdown and Tribes: Ascend. Loved Tribes 2 and was a bit disappointed that vehicles in Ascend are so weak that no one really uses them.

psychicparrot

Last week, I finished the two projects I was working on so had more time for games. Most of my game time was taken up by Little Racers Street (fun, top down xbox indie race game), Split Second and Kinect Sports (!) .. and a little RR:U, of course ;)

I keep getting tempted to buy NFS: The Run but I just can't decide.. what do you guys think of it? Is it worth a purchase?

Anguish

psychicparrot said:
I keep getting tempted to buy NFS: The Run but I just can't decide.. what do you guys think of it? Is it worth a purchase?
I don't think so, unless if you're a graphics whore (no offense). The gameplay's just...ridiculous, you'd better wait for this year's NFS Most Wanted instead.

RacerBest

Team Bugbear Member
The Run is boring. I played it much, because I wanted to like it, but it is not very good.