What are you playing?

Usmovers_02

Full time wrecker
Jukka Merikanto said:
Just came back to real world from this:

Great device and a day one purchase for me when they hit retail.
Does it deal with UI okay? I've heard you have to take it off to use menus.

Usmovers_02 said:
Does it deal with UI okay? I've heard you have to take it off to use menus.
I think it might need UI to be in 3D space to work correctly. Didn't see any examples of UI in the demos.

Purple44 said:
Does his mean Oculus Rift is being tested with the Next Car Game????
:-X

But I did test a racing game with it and it's really nice to be able to see your surroundings by just turning your head. There's also great feeling of height when driving uphill that you can't really achieve with regular monitor.

I get a dizzy feeling for just 5 mins of playing with it. Hope they can somehow prevent this in newer models. Resolution is also quite low in the development version.

M

Mopower

psychicparrot said:
RacerBest - I tried Dirt Showdown and felt exactly the same. If they're going to go for the Flatout / Destruction crown you would think that they'd have made it a priority to give the most destructive experience possible.. I found the game really pretty and really well polished, but way too slow. Drifting wasn't much fun either. They had a decent drifting mechanic in Dirt3, but they actually seemed to have made it less intuitive in Showdown I thought. That franchise has just gone megabucks now, though, it seems. A lot of polish and flashy fireworky things but a bit of a hollow experience for me. That said, I'm not a fan of being shouted at by the game to upload my clips to YouTube because they're "Sick" and "Awesome" at the end of every race. It's just trying *too hard* to be cool when it would be much cooler if it stopped trying ;)
They should've gone for a more sim demolition derby. SHould've been in mud, on a smaller course, giving you more feel of speed. They pretty much just F***ed the dog on that one making it way arcadish and putting lots of stupid cars in it. Half the cars they put in there would be out in one hit from that big wagon they got in the game. Kind of dumb to have a van be the best derby vehicle too :p

dave3d

Full time wrecker
Have been playing Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.
Fun as heck, in a mindless shooting way.
Great idea about the guy telling a story, and retelling it when caught in a lie, or forgets, so you get to play the same thing again, but differently.

Was trying to play Metro: Last Light, but have been SORELY disappointed with it.
I cant believe the same devs made both 2033 and Last Light.

But, I guess that is what happens when you get big, and publishers F you over, trying to push the game out, and making it a consolized piece of junk barely reminiscent of the couple excellent games the devs put out before it.
:(

69Imperial

fuk tha mods #yolo #smdmajatek
Master Blaster
Interstate '76, in it's 640X480 Glide glory. Game has the best damn soundtrack ever. It's gonna get a lot of plays in whatever 70's slotmag wearing shitbox I get as my first car.

dave3d

Full time wrecker
Been running through FlatOut 2. Again.
This must be the 20th time I have played the game.
Still as fun as the first time I played it.
:)

psychicparrot

Always look both ways before crossing the street.
Jukka .. me too! ;D

I can't actually stay in VR for more than 10-15 minutes, as I get really sick. I'm working on it, though. When I first got it I couldn't do more than 5, so I must be getting used to it. Of course, it depends on the game / demo / sim I'm playing too. The Heli Hell demo can make me green in less than 5 minutes!

I've been working on the 'ParrotCoaster', an Oculus rollercoaster ride.. sadly, progress has been a bit slow (still got a long todo list for it) but it's up there if you wanted to make yourself feel sick! http://www.riftenabled.com/admin/app/177 :)

Not really much point trying it if you don't have a Rift, tbh, guys. Sorry!

I've been working a bit on a VR racing game, too, but it's obviously a long way off yet. Give it another year or two and I may be able to show it!

I'm really looking forward to the HD versions of the headset, too. It's very low-res at the moment and everything looks pretty 'fuzzy' in VR... plus a LOT of people are having real trouble with VR/motion sickness. It's going to be the biggest problem they need to figure out before this goes mainstream.

That said, I do think there's a real future for it. It's amazing to be in the game. If they can get higher res and figure out ways to combat the sickness it'll be a hit for sure.

ratchet

Team Bugbear Member
psychicparrot said:
I can't actually stay in VR for more than 10-15 minutes, as I get really sick. I'm working on it, though. When I first got it I couldn't do more than 5, so I must be getting used to it. Of course, it depends on the game / demo / sim I'm playing too. The Heli Hell demo can make me green in less than 5 minutes!
Could the motion sickness caused by the Oculus Rift be due to its 1:1 head tracking (assuming it actually is 1:1?) and you not being used to it? I could see moving my head around quickly and getting sick because of not being used to how the Rift reacts to the sudden movements.

I really want CCP to develop their space combat proof of concept for the Rift into a full product when the HD version comes out. It looks really cool. The Rift could also replace TrackIR for racing games and flight sims.

I think the motion sickness mostly comes down to our controls not being suited for VR yet. The movement you get when playing an FPS with a controller or a keyboard plus mouse just doesn't translate well to the idea your brain has of actually being in the environment. You don't move like that in real life. At least for me, the Oculus demos with non-FPS movement (like the roller coaster) worked much better.

psychicparrot

Always look both ways before crossing the street.
Yeah head tracking seems to be OK. I find that if I stay still, I can look around all over the place for quite a while with no apparent signs of sickness.. it's once I start moving around or moving with the mouse that the problems start.

I've been trying it in a car and I'm finding it a lot harder than I expected to drive around the track. I find I want to look around and see where other cars are etc., but there isn't time when you drive at the speed of a regular racing game. It's great feeling as though you are in a racing car and you can look across and see the other drivers, but I also found it to be quite a sensory overload. Especially with motion sickness. I wonder if it would be more suited to longer track racing (nascar / oval tracks) .. I've been testing with small tracks and struggling with it. Perhaps longer, banked Nascar style tracks would be easier on the senses? Having a more 'stable' horizon may help, as short tracks mean you don't really get much of a horizon to settle down with.

ratchet

Team Bugbear Member
I've been playing Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers for a bit, and it seems that the decks are all weaker than the previous year's decks. Avacyn's Glory is really the only deck that I feel is powerful from the handful that I have tried. Sealed play was also quite disappointing. The biggest problem with the game mode is how limited the draft pool is and how there still are no dual lands. It just makes creating 3 colour decks not worth it, but my black/green deck is alright.

RacerBest

Team Bugbear Member
The long awaited Steam Summer sale is now on, and Steam store is impossible to reach at the moment because there is so much traffic there. :D