Wrext-Gen: Wreckfest coming to PS5 on June 1st 2021!

Janne Suur-Näkki

Administrator
Staff member

The critically acclaimed demolition racer Wreckfest is ready to wreck on PlayStation®5 starting June 1st, 2021!

The PlayStation®5 version offers the best Wreckfest experience on consoles ever and takes full advantage of the PlayStation®5's hardware power. Not only does the new version offer enhanced visuals such as dynamic dirt on vehicles, better textures, and improved visual effects. Additionally, it also runs with a wonderful 4K resolution at a smooth 60 frames per second. The multiplayer features 24 players now, for even more intense carnage on the race tracks.

Here is an overview of the added enhancements:

• Dynamic dirt on vehicles
• Improved shadows, particles, and environment lighting
• Higher resolution textures
• Increased amount of foliage
• Godrays
• New visual effects for skidmarks
• DualSense haptic effects
• Much faster loading times

Wreckfest is coming to PS5™ on June 1st, 2021, and will be available both digitally and as a retail box for $ 39.99 / € 39.99 / £ 34.99.
Owners of Wreckfest on PS4™ can upgrade to the enhanced version on PS5™ for $9.99 / € 9.99.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
And here a Q & A posted over at Wreckfest Discord from THQ Dev Zyddie:

Zyddie — Yesterday at 11:29 AM
1. Will the PS5 version have all previous patches?
 Yes, all previous patches are included.

2. Will the PS5 version come with all Season Pass content or will it be available separately?
 The Season Pass content will be available separately.

3. What if I own both Season Passes on PS4 and upgrade?
 Then you'll get both Season Passes for free on PS5 after your upgrade.

4. What happens to my progression if I upgrade from PS4 to PS5?
 We don’t have a solution for this right now but we are actively looking into options for this.

5. Will I be able to earn new/old achievements?
 Yes, you will be able to earn the same achievements like on PS4.

6. Will I be able to play with my friends on PS4?
 Yes this is possible, however the 24 player servers are exclusive to PS5.

7. Why do I have to pay for the upgrade?
 Because the PS5 version isn't just an "60 FPS" patch for the old game, it contains new data, new textures, new effects etc and also has full support for the PS5 DualSense controller.

8. What about the Xbox Serie S|X version?
 A similar Xbox Series S|X native version will launch later this year, also charged if you want to upgrade.

9. When do PC get these upgrades as well otherwise they are covering what we are seeing as well.
 The PC version will be upgraded later in 2021.

Omeyocan

And here a Q & A posted over at Wreckfest Discord from THQ Dev Zyddie:

Zyddie — Yesterday at 11:29 AM
1. Will the PS5 version have all previous patches?
 Yes, all previous patches are included.

2. Will the PS5 version come with all Season Pass content or will it be available separately?
 The Season Pass content will be available separately.

3. What if I own both Season Passes on PS4 and upgrade?
 Then you'll get both Season Passes for free on PS5 after your upgrade.

4. What happens to my progression if I upgrade from PS4 to PS5?
 We don’t have a solution for this right now but we are actively looking into options for this.

5. Will I be able to earn new/old achievements?
 Yes, you will be able to earn the same achievements like on PS4.

6. Will I be able to play with my friends on PS4?
 Yes this is possible, however the 24 player servers are exclusive to PS5.

7. Why do I have to pay for the upgrade?
 Because the PS5 version isn't just an "60 FPS" patch for the old game, it contains new data, new textures, new effects etc and also has full support for the PS5 DualSense controller.

 A similar Xbox Series S|X native version will launch later this year, also charged if you want to upgrade.

9. When do PC get these upgrades as well otherwise they are covering what we are seeing as well.
 The PC version will be upgraded later in 2021.
As for the question #4, basicaly it means that I will have to again play the game from the beginning in carreer mode etc until you find a solution to transfer all my progression/achievements from the PS4 version and of course all my DLC car packs too.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
I did Career mode a second time when we got the Aug 2019 console port back to the PC. But i still had my stock cars in the garage. So got do Career again with different set of cars. :)

Buy one the Season passes for PS5 and do Career again with some the DLC cars?

Hmm, maybe Bugbear could redo career mode a bit and use some the new tracks that been added to Wreckfest?

Last edited:

MrSmithPVFC

The Xbox version scheduled for later this year, will the Series S get 60fps 1080p this time?

Blofse

Question - if I own the ps4 complete edition, will that include the ps5 upgrade or does that still require an additional £10 to upgrade?

Soulburn

Lots of people bitching about this being $10, usually from those that don't understand the underlying beauty of this game and it's community.
Ya'll can FOAD. Keep up the great work Bugbear!!

Omeyocan

Here a pic of the new dust feature that coming to the PS5 and then to PC later this year. :)

Nice picture !
More of a suggestion, it would be great to also add some new songs to the game and improve the engines sounds to be more realistic. Can you do that ?

Cegon

Nice picture !
More of a suggestion, it would be great to also add some new songs to the game and improve the engines sounds to be more realistic. Can you do that ?
I'd like to see an update to the engine SFX that makes them sound more throaty, not necessarily more realistic. Couple weeks ago I installed Burnout Paradise for nostalgia reasons (the original, not the remaster). Ended up not really playing it because of the cartoonish physics, but the engine SFX in that game are mad, serious roar from the V8s and L6s and explosive backfiring pops, makes Wreckfest's engine SFX feel really outdated.

Music licensing is complicated and expensive so I completely understand if we don't get any new music.

Omeyocan

I'd like to see an update to the engine SFX that makes them sound more throaty, not necessarily more realistic. Couple weeks ago I installed Burnout Paradise for nostalgia reasons (the original, not the remaster). Ended up not really playing it because of the cartoonish physics, but the engine SFX in that game are mad, serious roar from the V8s and L6s and explosive backfiring pops, makes Wreckfest's engine SFX feel really outdated.

Music licensing is complicated and expensive so I completely understand if we don't get any new music.
I completely agree with you on the outdated engines sounds of Wreckfest. I wish it had more robust and realistic sounds like Project CARS 1,2 and 3. Other than that I feel Wreckfest as the perfect racing game for me.

Soulburn

I'd love to see the "house" music get changed up. While it is quite good and has aged well, something new would be worth the investment I think. Vehicle sounds upgrade would be a no brainer.