24-car Multiplayer Returns!

T

Team Bugbear

Hey all y’all!

So… What’s up?

Well, first of all, Wreckfest enjoys Multiplayer Mayhem Week sale on Steam and tags our game with a -30% discount! If you love the madness and chaos that Wreckfest is all about, we wouldn’t mind at all if you recommend it to your friends, for as we all know, nothing beats ramming your buddies off the road and throwing your head back in villainous laughter. Multiplayer Mayhem Week lasts until Sunday 2.11. so there’s still a few days before this window for brighter tomorrow, this golden opportunity expires.

Speaking of multiplayer, we managed to get the network code much more stable, resulting in less lag. As a very welcome side effect, this improves the responsiveness of your car, making it easier to handle those tight corners and swift swerves.
But that’s not all, oh no. Since the network code is now much robust, we are reintroducing 24-car multiplayer! That’s right, folks! 24 simultaneous cars, duking it out, no moves barred!

To be honest, we’re really happy of how Wreckfest’s multiplayer is shaping up! The multiplayer races, packed with tight and dirty situations and crashing cars, are really fun, and the work we’ve put into making the crashes more visceral really shows and feels. You can also host your own events with much better stability, and e.g. use the reworked lobby chat to lay down the rules to your opponents. We also added a ban function, so you can not only kick unruly players out, you can keep ‘em out!
However, there are some issues still present, and much more work needs to be done before we are satisfied. That’s why we have released several hotfixes during the past few weeks, addressing issues and squashing bugs like nobody’s business.

The second big thing is that Wreckfest also appears on PAX Australia 2014! The beloved gaming convention houses a wicked big bunch of top notch PCs running all sorts of games, and Wreckfest is one of them. So, if you make it to PAX Aus 2014, make it your mission to challenge a few strangers to try Wreckfest out. Laughs will be certainly had, and hopefully you’ll make a few new friends and rivals for future races.

That's it for now! Drive safe, and take your road rage online, ok? :)

szutyi93

Full time wrecker
I wrote it a hundred times. Until hotfix 5 i could host with ports in my router after that i cant pls can you do something about it?

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Good to see 24 player multiplayer back and that youve fixed the early race lag spikes for 16+ players. However my frame rate goes from 60+ fps with 17 and under players to about 10-30 consistent fps for 18-24 players. Can run 24 player offline no problem.Tried running everything one lowest/off but doesnt seem to help. Is this a issue with me (i don't have the greatest upload speed 1mb) or are others getting this also?

EDIT: Runs great now.Pileups on 24 car servers are awesome

kamikave

Full time wrecker
Huh, I'm gonna get killed by the multiplayer community, but, oh well, who cares ? So, When are you going to start working on the solo player side of the game ? ;)

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
Handling is actually much better! There seem to be almost no laggs!

But now I have an issue with fps as soon as there are more than 14 cars on track. This is an issue in MP only. I can play 23 AIs settings on med-max no problem.

But in MP the fps go to a more or less constant 10-20 fps and it doesn't help one bit to lower gfx settings. I put everthing on min and even lowered the resolution. But the problem consisted.

An its not connected to whats going on in the race either. No matter if its the chaos at the start, or nothing going on at all: The fps make it rather unplayable...

Anyone else experiencing this?

dsiOne

Weeked Smasher
Awesome news, 24 cars!

It feels like the need to fix reset spam is going to be even greater with the increased amount though...

There seems to be some relation with high pings (100>) to low fps but we've yet to discover what (maybe our coders already know what causes it but I don't :) ). But we're working on it!

Hep!

Weeked Smasher
I have lot of lag in MP when it has lot of players. My ping don't seem to be the problem, it arrive even with less than 50 of ping.

I play a lot without problem before.

I turned the seeting on low, resolution too, but it's still lagy...

i cannot play MP anymore, ... :-(

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
I keep getting Host has Quit messages, and dropped out of lobby.
also... Text messages scroll out pretty slowly. never had these issues prior to latest patch.

Kingspian

Good idea for the Ban! Wish you can do it in game to ban wrong ways but I'm sure that will get into that very soon. So far I like the game. And of course I will enjoy more with g27. WHOO So exicted! More Challenging!

sephirothsk

Hey ! I am glad to report that I hosted a 24 multiplayer game and it was AWSOME !! However, the ban command doesnt work, it only kick the player, banned player can rejoin right after being banned. Also, I am getting weird bug I think... when it happen, my car control stop and the camera view switch to the camera view you get when your dead and can spectate people and then I can drive my car, happened several time and is very annoying.

Dillinja187

Great news on more players it really does need 20+ on oval or Big 8 to make those tracks come alive, MP Performance seems better on the whole and remembering it is more players it did play nice and smoooth ;). Although through the course of the night 4-5 people that had been able to play MP (days, weeks) before are finding it very hard as Hep mentioned and Lari Fari is also having issues with servers running 20+ players.

I think we established it wasn't ping related or there machine blowing chunks, because all settings were set to low as test after running "normal" settings and the game behaved in the same way.

Another great update for the majority of community 8), I just hope and im sure BB will iron out the creases for the people that were affected negatively after this hotfix

crazychris4124

Full time wrecker
What can we expect in the next update? Would be nice to get a truck, new track and major improvements to sandpit 2 like a new name, major cosmetic work and some bugs in the track.

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
sephirothsk said:
Hey ! I am glad to report that I hosted a 24 multiplayer game and it was AWSOME !! However, the ban command doesnt work, it only kick the player, banned player can rejoin right after being banned. Also, I am getting weird bug I think... when it happen, my car control stop and the camera view switch to the camera view you get when your dead and can spectate people and then I can drive my car, happened several time and is very annoying.
D-Pad up switches to spectator cam. I've pressed it accidentaly without noticing and thought it was a bug. maybe rebind it if you hit the button accidentaly from time to time :)