A Glimpse into Week 35

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
Elsewhere:
"I have a suggestion for Bugbear. How about a weekly update with a brief summary of what's being worked on and how it's going and maybe some expectations? This will somewhat relieve the fears of those who think you've taken their money and gone on vacation with it with no plans to continue the project."

Let's do that!

So, this week, we're doing stuff like this:

- Collating a fresh set of reference material to help us maintain focus. This means thinking about how different features and solutions are executed in other games (from all genres, mind you), and how we could improve from those? For example, I'm testing out various games to see how their in-game team communications and social features are done. With this collage of references, it's easy to remind ourselves where we're going, while keeping creativity and personal approach firmly at hand.

- Playtesting online functionality. It does work, but it's not perfect yet. At least it's there, so all that remains is tweaking and honing. Yay!

- Physics! We're doing some fiddling under the hood, as always, to get closer to an acceptable driving model for the cars. We're planning on putting a freeze on the driving model for a while and focusing on other features. The driving model won't be perfect, and it'll bug us as it will bug you, too, but it's a working compromise for the time being. We'll go with that so we can distance ourselves from the constant tinkering, and gain fresh perspective when we get back to it. This way we'll also get to work on other game features, and although they'll be nothing but wire frames, at least the infrastructure will start to take form.

- Testing of a new car, but I can't go into more detail about that ;)

I'll edit the original post when/if necessary, but also make a new post about it at the end of the thread, so it'll be easy to see what's changed.

As for going on holidays... I'll try to explain why it's no big deal. When you buy a ready game from the store, you're giving the studio your money. The studio will use that money to create a cash box for the next project, and from this box, salaries and holidays are paid. It doesn't matter when you purchase the game, as the end result is still the same: your money is the thing that lets the studio maintain its very basic needs, i.e. its employees.
But, for argument's sake, let's assume that things were different because this is an early access game, and we're very literally using the supporters' money to go on vacation. Well, in Finland, vacations are mandated by law, so even if we didn't want to go on vacations (we do, because vacations are awesome!), we would have to go, or the studio would face some very heavy judicial ramifications.
So, going on vacation on the end users' moneys is a very normal thing, and there's nothing to worry about. Hell, that's how all businesses work -- they gain money from their end users, and go from there. The only difference here is that we're open about it :)

Needles Kane

Weeked Smasher
Thank you Jori. Very intresting. Remember to post this on Steam forum too. There is peoples that beginning impatient.

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
Hey thanks! Very informative. I wasn't worried about the vacation thing. But it seemed to have disturbed some others. Saw it popping up here and there.

The one thing that does worry me is the planned freeze in the driving model:

1. Will that freeze happen before or after the next update? So, will there be changes in the next update?
2. Does driving model include everything from physics, reaction to input, car properties and so on? Or does that only mean one of those parts?

I am really looking forward to more content. But to me the handling and physics are way more important. I'd rather have improved handling before I get more content.

Not sure how others see this. opinions? :)

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
Thank You much for this news Jori! However,... I really want to know if the *WoNkY* AI will be better in our next Update? They really do suck!

conso1727

From Italy
Full time wrecker
Jori Virtanen said:
For example, I'm testing out various games to see how their in-game team communications and social features are done. With this collage of references, it's easy to remind ourselves where we're going, while keeping creativity and personal approach firmly at hand.
Are you sure you aren't just playing games and telling your colleagues "Yes, yes, don't worry, I'm seeing the social aspects of the game and how they can be implemented"?
(JK, by the way I found some stuff that may be useful for the track designers, I will post it here ASAP)

Mohasz

Weeked Smasher
Full time wrecker
Thanks for the update!
Lari Fari said:
1. Will that freeze happen before or after the next update? So, will there be changes in the next update?
I'd like to know this as well. I understood that it's after the update. Anyway, it seems like a good idea, since constatly tweaking the driving model can distract the devs from delivering new stuff. I hope the driving will be similar to what we had in the update before the last one, and I'll be happy with it for the next couple of months until they decide to work on it again.

LUNITIC_WILL

Full time wrecker
the handling can be from flatout 2. AI and player handling from flatout 2. the current handling was nice but after playing flatout 2 for a few hours, the handling seems more refined as well. it was just the speed that made a difference

Mohasz

Weeked Smasher
Full time wrecker
While FlatOut 2 was (and is) a blast, I think I prefer the 'simcade' approach in NCG. It feels so good with a wheel - not so much since the last update, though. (Another simcade game that I liked is Need for Speed: Shift.)

K

KingOfTheCakes

Aww man, can we at least get a snapshot of the new car? :p

Good to know what's happening once again.

Speedevil

Nice to hear that. Actually I'm for more content, even if that means the handling won't change for a couple of months. The game gets boring ATM as there is not enough content, and the handling can always be modified afterwards.

Mohasz

Weeked Smasher
Full time wrecker
Speedevil said:
Nice to hear that. Actually I'm for more content, even if that means the handling won't change for a couple of months. The game gets boring ATM as there is not enough content, and the handling can always be modified afterwards.
But how are you gonna enjoy the new content if the handling is not that enjoyable?

Jori Virtanen said:
Well, in Finland, vacations are mandated by law, so even if we didn't want to go on vacations (we do, because vacations are awesome!), we would have to go, or the studio would face some very heavy judicial ramifications.
That's in the whole of the EU. :)

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
bigpickle said:
and from this box, salaries and holidays are paid
You get paid holidays?
Its one of the benefits when living in a civilized country with a running economy. Also: How else are they going to pay the booze during their holiday. The stuff is ridiculously expensive up there ;D

Tug

Team Bugbear Member
Thanks for the communication! Just a quick blurb like this makes all the difference to us (me anyway, I can't really speak for others).

While I am a little disappointed that the handling model won't be perfected straight away I think it is probably a good idea. No point perfecting a driving model and then changing it repeatedly because it is not working with the new features/physics. Just get it right at the end and I will make do till then.

Thanks for the update guys!

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Jori Virtanen said:
- Playtesting online functionality. It does work, but it's not perfect yet. At least it's there, so all that remains is tweaking and honing. Yay!
And there no Don'ts from the Multiplayer Do's and Don'ts thread and plenty of Do's?

Bugbear will make a lot of people happy if online multiplayer in the next Build, warts and all. :)

Xaagon

Thanks for the update! It's nice to know what's going on, and as a side benefit I learned something about European labor practices.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to see what's happening in week 36!

Status
Not open for further replies.