A Glimpse into Week 35

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
Yeah cooldown time could work. But maybe even an absolute maximum number of uses. Per race or per lap.

For example 5 messages per lap for each player. So if someone wants to spam they won't last long. :)

And about adressing the right people. How about a kind of maximum range (for example 50 meters) so you only hear the messages of players near you and vice versa. Because there's no point in hearing messages from people at the other end of the map. :)

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
At this very moment, the idea is to have either a radial menu for four quips (or D-pad, whatever), that lets you first select the oneliner and then the target, segmented by players closest to you. So, if you crash into Lari Fari and want to reinforce how hard you laugh at his misery, you first select the jest, then browse through available players, of which Lari Fari is one of the first, because he's obviously close to your car, since you just rammed him off the damn road! It should be easy to use, and quick, too, but we'll do some prototyping to see if it really works at all or not. It might be that it's still too much clutter, especially since you need your fingers to browse the menus, and you need those very same fingers to press the buttons you need to drive, too.

Anyway. Just a glimpse into this feature's basic thoughts, thought you might appreciate it :)

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Jori Virtanen said:
At this very moment, the idea is to have either a radial menu for four quips (or D-pad, whatever), that lets you first select the oneliner and then the target, segmented by players closest to you. So, if you crash into Lari Fari and want to reinforce how hard you laugh at his misery, you first select the jest, then browse through available players, of which Lari Fari is one of the first, because he's obviously close to your car, since you just rammed him off the damn road! It should be easy to use, and quick, too, but we'll do some prototyping to see if it really works at all or not. It might be that it's still too much clutter, especially since you need your fingers to browse the menus, and you need those very same fingers to press the buttons you need to drive, too.

Anyway. Just a glimpse into this feature's basic thoughts, thought you might appreciate it :)
Its a novel idea and could see it being useful for consoles.Isnt it just a quick to use text chat though on the pc? Even when im using pad or wheel the keyboard is still only at arms length.

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
How dare you laugh at my misery! :D

I like the idea and look forward to testing it! I somehow suspect having to chose the target aswell gets too much of a hassle when in the middle of the action. But we will see.

SO if the game can determine which players are close to me, I would still like it if all player close to me can hear my message (as if yelling out of the window) :D

Oh, that brings up the question: Are you speaking about pure textmessages, or will you have them as prerecorded audio?

Also, wouldn't preset gestures be cool aswell? Like pumping fist out of the window, waving and stuff like that.

Jori Virtanen

sam223 said:
Its a novel idea and could see it being useful for consoles.Isnt it just a quick to use text chat though on the pc? Even when im using pad or wheel the keyboard is still only at arms length.
Yes, absolutely, but to type efficiently you'd have to take your hands off the controller, which, in essence, would render you driverless while you type.
That being said, it's not an "whether this or that" question, but rather a case of "chat and maybe...?" :)

(Plus, from a designer's perspective, creating a system like that is a service for those players who don't want to type anything while racing, and if we do a console version later on, this system would be 1:1 transferable with console controllers. Keeping an eye out for all possibilities here :) )

Lari Fari said:
How dare you laugh at my misery! :D
Easily! I'm laughing, like this!

Lari Fari said:
Oh, that brings up the question: Are you speaking about pure textmessages, or will you have them as prerecorded audio?

Also, wouldn't preset gestures be cool aswell? Like pumping fist out of the window, waving and stuff like that.
Pure text, no audio. That would be annoying real soon :)
Hand gestures would be fun, but there's not much of you that can stick out of the window, and the amount of different hand gestures that your opponent can see is quite limited :p
But, we'll look into that, too.

Speedevil

Are you going to post a new weekly update this week? I guess I'm not the only one who'd like to know what's going on with the game. :)

Majatek

Posts generated by this user derive from consensus
Full time wrecker
Master Blaster
Team Bugbear Member
Jori Virtanen said:
Lari Fari said:

Pure text, no audio. That would be annoying real soon :)
Hand gestures would be fun, but there's not much of you that can stick out of the window, and the amount of different hand gestures that your opponent can see is quite limited :p
But, we'll look into that, too.
This reminds me of an old comment that I made on this particular topic. I'd love to see drivers shift about in their seats as they get knocked about, and have a few animations such as a fist-shake and bashing the steering wheel in anger so as to make the game feel that bit more "alive".

Backlash1337

I would like to see a global chat, so that you can wish everyone goodluck and have fun etc.

Which idea I like best would be a couple of phrases with audio, but only players around 20 meter can hear those, so not everyone will hear them.
Imao choosing a specific player is a little bit too much work while racing, and I think it would be funnier if others around you can hear it aswell.
Like you crash someone against a tree and press "laughing" and a loud laughing with some sweet finnish accent appears :p
At the moment my wheel is defect so as a keyboard player I would also like to set every single phrase on a single NUM-pad number.

But I'm sure you will hit the best option :)

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
The prerecorded laugh would be funny for some races. But even if there were say 10 different laughs after a while they might just get annoying ...

Honestly I think that is what voice chat is for. And it would be really awesome if you could make it that the source of the sound is the players car. So the volume depends on how close the car is. That would be like you're actually in the car shouting out the window :D

Imagine somebody passes you after you spin going "wooohooo!"

Ofcourse if you don't implement voice chat at all, many will just use TS. Which is OK. It just wouldn't be as fun as described above ;)

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
About the audio laughs... I just got an idea,... How about 25 different laughs... and when you hit the laugh key, it will randomly play one of them laughs?
same goes for a congrats, or a pesky remark.. all in 25 separate sound files for each category.

Calamann

I'm from germany
Weeked Smasher
On your website i read that next car game will be come out in 2014. If it's not true please change it ;) i dont have a problem with a later coming out. I love that game. So i want a perfect finished game and not a bugging game :D (sorry for my english. I work on it;))

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Lari Fari said:
Yeah cooldown time could work. But maybe even an absolute maximum number of uses. Per race or per lap.

For example 5 messages per lap for each player. So if someone wants to spam they won't last long. :)

And about adressing the right people. How about a kind of maximum range (for example 50 meters) so you only hear the messages of players near you and vice versa. Because there's no point in hearing messages from people at the other end of the map. :)
What if playing Cops and Robbers on a track?

Hmm, some kind of cool down period, that might be a good idea. There are jerks online that like to:

ad
fg
b
jm
k
l
bn
m
f

Maybe need a time out after 4 messages in under 20 seconds.

LUNITIC_WILL

Full time wrecker
Calamann said:
On your website i read that next car game will be come out in 2014. If it's not true please change it ;) i dont have a problem with a later coming out. I love that game. So i want a perfect finished game and not a bugging game :D (sorry for my english. I work on it;))

well we may be feature full in december but the full game is probably at the end of 2015

crazychris4124

Full time wrecker
LUNITIC_WILL said:
Calamann said:

well we may be feature full in december but the full game is probably at the end of 2015
lets just worry about the next update, game isnt very good at the moment, wait is killing me

Jori Virtanen

Speedevil said:
Are you going to post a new weekly update this week? I guess I'm not the only one who'd like to know what's going on with the game. :)
Yeah, I'm making one today. I actually wrote it yesterday, but I need to ascertain a couple of things before posting. I'll slap it as a blog post (which will appear in the News, too) before noon CET.

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
About the audio laughs... I just got an idea,... How about 25 different laughs... and when you hit the laugh key, it will randomly play one of them laughs?
same goes for a congrats, or a pesky remark.. all in 25 separate sound files for each category.
I still think they will get old after a while. Also why put so much work into it, when people can just use voice chat and have their own infinite number of laughs ;D

This is what I would really like to see (quoting myself ;-) )

And it would be really awesome if you could make it that the source of the sound is the players car. So the volume depends on how close the car is. That would be like you're actually in the car shouting out the window :D

F!nsku

[SNW]
Full time wrecker
Jori Virtanen said:

Easy way: Press "T" or "Y" and then write your message. You can't drive at the same time. This works well in Trackmania.
But about Joni's idea, what I understood (my English is bad) it sounds hard way to communicate

But lets test it first. Can't wait next update :)

EDIT: Too much grammar mistakes ::)

Frisker

Weeked Smasher
When you want to say something while driving, AutoHotKey is the solution :D
I used it alot when I was in one roleplaying server in GTA SA:MP, as a police officer. When I had to pull someone over, I couldn't just stop to type "Please pull over to the side of the road", so I made keybind.
It's fairly easy to make some pre-set sentences for yourself(I'll catch ya/haahaa/whatever) :D

Oh, I'm a month late again... ohwell I blame the daylight saving time thingy it made me lose track of few weeks. right?

Status
Not open for further replies.