Collected skinning info (skin formats etc.)

Mazay

The green color comes from black color in third channel. Maybe that's bug in Irfanview. Gimp is giving me correct colors.

The new .dds files use pretty new compression, I think BC5U, so any old version of programs will just fail with it, that's also why Breckfest fails.
I tested it works with Gimp 2.10

Last edited:

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
I observed with specular on January that when you edit the Breckfest import like I've posted before in this topic, in the end the blue color needs to be inverted to get the reflection match the original. It's very small difference though. The reflection matched 1:1 with the original paint that way.

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
Also about normal maps. The right picture is how normal map should look like with GIMP when you want it to export right. If you've it like the left one, some channel inversion and changes need to be done:

With GIMP:
decompose -> RGB -> select red channel(layer) -> inver it -> select green(layer) channel -> invert it -> compose RGB and change red to green and green to red ->
then invert the composed picture

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
I going add a link to this thread here from Steam forum:

Problem with converting TGA avatars into BMAPs

I'm trying to add some custom avatars by converting TGAs into BMAPs using build_asset.bat, and I get an error message saying "Grayscale TGA images are not supported".

This only happens for some of the avatars; any help is appreciated.

TestTestTest

Are you using GIMP, Photoshop, PaintNet or some other program?

Bishop Black

I solved the problem.

First I used PNGs and made them transparent; then I converted the PNGs to TGA, and TGA into BMAPs and it works.

Apparently it has a problem with converting non-transparent images; I think I read that somewhere else as well.

This is the free tool I'm using; then from there one can use GIMP or another program to turn the PNGs into TGAs before using the build_asset.bat program to convert them into BMAPs.

https://onlinepngtools.com/create-transparent-png

Maggi

To see it in the game. You need to make a mod.

Wreckfest has a Mods folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Bugbear Entertainment\mods

1. Create a new folder inside that and give it a name like bobsroadcatskin

2. Create a new folder inside that named data

3. Create a new folder in that named vehicle

4. Create a new folder in that called 09_american (don't capitalize.This example is for the Roadcat car).

5. Create a new folder in that called art

6. Dump your skin01_c5.bmap in that folder

7. Start the game and select your mod and restart the game.

8. Choose the Roadcat car and choose No Livery in the liveries section.

You should see your skin on the car.

There are other ways of doing this that allow for multiple skins or new livery overlays etc. but I'll save that for another post.
Thank you very much this is very useful information. I really had absolutely no idea how to add styles to vehicles without normal folder structure but with only /settings.pckd/ file. I hope the styles can be added the same way. In particular, I'm only interested in 4 files.
skin01_damaged_n.bmap
skin01_ n.bmap
skin01_damaged_s.bmap
skin01_s.bmap

TT

Those aren't the style pattern files. Those are the shine and bumpiness files.

_s.bmap files control shininess and reflection.

_n.bmap files control things like bumps on the surface. Those aren't easily edited but it can be done. Usually there's no reason unless you're a 3d modeler creating a new car or part. Also, Brekfest.exe can't open _n.bmap files.

If you want to edit the pattern mask files, be aware that different colors correspond to those different paint areas in the game's paint shop. Either that or leave them the transparent color in areas that you don't want to pattern (they will stay at the car color selected at the top of the paint shop).

To see an example, open up skin01_livery... or skin01_derby... or skin01_decals...

Maggi

Those aren't the style pattern files. Those are the shine and bumpiness files.

_s.bmap files control shininess and reflection.

_n.bmap files control things like bumps on the surface. Those aren't easily edited but it can be done. Usually there's no reason unless you're a 3d modeler creating a new car or part. Also, Brekfest.exe can't open _n.bmap files.

If you want to edit the pattern mask files, be aware that different colors correspond to those different paint areas in the game's paint shop. Either that or leave them the transparent color in areas that you don't want to pattern (they will stay at the car color selected at the top of the paint shop).

To see an example, open up skin01_livery... or skin01_derby... or skin01_decals...
Yes, thanks, I know that. My goal is to regulate the bump and intensity of reflections or matte reflections. My result on cars with the familiar folder structure suits me perfectly. But I don't know how to do this for the car folders with the /settings.pckd / file. This is my problem.

TT

Oh, I see what you mean. Sorry about that.

The DLC cars can be trickier to mod. I think things have changed over the last few updates.

It used to be that you couldn't over-write or replace existing files for DLC cars. You had to add new ones. That may or may not have changed for skin files.

If you're lucky, you might be able to just add in folders as you would expect them to be in the regular cars.

For example, the Wingman is 29_american/art. First I'd see if that would work. Most likely not, but worth a shot.

If it doesn't work then you need to name the skin files with some new name that probably isn't used by the game.

Instead of replacing the existing skin files, you add new ones.

For example,
skinsmashy_c5.bmap
skinsmashy_damaged_c5.bmap
skinsmashy_s.bmap
skinsmashy_damaged_s.bmap
skinsmashy_n.bmap
skinsmashy_damaged_n.bmap

Then, you need to make the game aware that it exists. You need to put a file in
29_american/part/paint/smashy.vepa

You'll have to find an example .vepa file in some other mod or in Sam223's template collection.

If you need an example, try my Wingman and Outlaw skin pack mod.

Subscribe and then look in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\228380\1989445672

Last edited:

TT

However, that won't get the default AI to use them.

If you want to make a new AI that uses them, there are a few more steps.

TT

If you use Sam223's template collection, note that he slightly altered some of the file path pointers.

Maggi

If you use Sam223's template collection, note that he slightly altered some of the file path pointers.
So i tried all the options. Created a folder in 29_american with folder structure like you described and in the mods folder,
vepa file added from mods metallic paint, renamed it according tomy skin files. I did everything as you described, but it does not work.

TT

Hmm. In Bagedit, try changing the .vepa file's settings:
state:mod
availability:always

Down at the bottom of the .vepa file there is also a pointer to the root folder. Make sure that it is set to the right car.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Just saw this posted over at WF Discord modding channel:

St. Jimmy — Today at 9:43 AM
if you want some references what texture uses which compression

_ao = DXT1
_c = DXT1
_c5 = DXT5
_ns = DXT5
_n = BC5U