Could not open file for writing: 'localsave/modlist.mods'

BlastingCitter

Gamepass version.

I already have the Steam version of Wreckfest installed and fully working on my laptop. But having an Xbox Gamepass subscription and loving the game, I wanted to give the Gamepass version a try, and earn the 1000GS for my Xbox account. However, when I try to launch the Gamepass version, I'm met with the error as per title.

If it can be of any help, my Documents folder is not on the C drive, but on the D drive (same for the game), and my Windows user name has an accented character in it.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Strange starting The PC Xbox Gamepass version of Wreckfest would trigger an error with the modlist file. Since PC Xbox Gamepass version can not load mods.

But guess other version of Wreckfest still have the modlist.mods file in the save folder, telling Wreckfest not load any mods?

PC Wreckfest not using the old C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\Documents\My Games\wreckfest\7656119833977**** any more because of all the trouble using a Microsoft folder cause. PC Xbox Gamepass version of Wreckfest should not be using this folder either.

Doing a Google search and this site:

Says the Xbox Gamepass save folder is here: C:\Users\NAME\Saved Games\GAME

Try looking there and see if you find a Wreckfest save folder. If find one, delete the modlist.mods file in that folder.

Hmmm, " Windows user name has an accented character in it." Having an accented character in user name is one things that cause trouble with the old PC Wreckfest save folder. I wonder if this could be causing trouble with the PC Xbox Gamepass version save folder?

BlastingCitter

Hello and thanks for replying!

My documents folder (which is on the D drive) has no "Wreckfest" folder under "My Games", and my Saved Games folder is empty! However, when I start the game up, the process logs show that the game is trying to access this folder:

C:\Users\********ò\AppData\LocalLow\THQNordic\Wreckfest

and sure enough, this folder does exist... but that too is empty. The ò replaces the normal accented character in the user name.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Odds are that accented character in user name causing the problem. Could try making a different user name account for Win 10, with no accented character in user name. Then see if you can run PC Xbox Gamepass version of Wreckfest from the user?

BlastingCitter

I tried it, and running the game from a user with no accented characters in the name works fine. I then also tried to recreate the same folder structure in the original user, but the game will still refuse to work. So I guess my only option to play the game for now would be to have a secondary user.

karpatx

It's 2021-10-29, and the Game Pass PC version of Wreckfest still refuses to start with the attached error :(
It's very sad, because we paid for the game, and it is not working.

Attachments

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
BlastingCitter had the same problem with this modlist error. But this error is trigger by having an accented character in user name. He had to do this:

I tried it, and running the game from a user with no accented characters in the name works fine. I then also tried to recreate the same folder structure in the original user, but the game will still refuse to work. So I guess my only option to play the game for now would be to have a secondary user.

This is a Micosoft Windows problem, that Bugbear can not fix on their end if WF save files are save to a save folder that Windows uses.

Bugbear on the PC side now saves WF save files under Steam installed folder to avoid this error with Windows.

\Steam\userdata\3795*****\228380\local\wreckfest

karpatx

I'm sorry but I cannot accept this, 'accented character' bullshit and I also cannot accept 'can not fix it'. They don't want to fix it. I especially pissed because THQ Nordic is based in Wien, and Bugbear is Finnish, and I'm Hungarian. I cannot say countries closer to us than these. So please guys fix this very lame error.