Creating Skins for DLC Vehicles

Zebulon55

ZeBBy
Master Blaster
For that "Rode Hard" El Matador, I used breckfest to convert a stock damaged bmap to png, the edited it to keep the damage I wanted, then used it as an upper layer in the GIMP.

Unfortunately, getting the damaged layer bmap of DLC is not so easy. The art files are inside the big data file.

Usually I just copy the undamaged files to damaged files. because I prefer the clean and shiny look, and don't care about the damaged look, unless I hide something so it only shows up after damage. ;-)

JBM

Hi TT, and thanks for your responses.

I'm adding skins via the Painting Tutorial mod by F-Bomb. I'm not replacing the stock ones. The skins I have created so far all contain the six files you listed above, but because I've only made the skins for the hearse and the sweeper at the moment, I can't copy the _n or _s files for my new skins, because we don't have access to the DLC files.

Breckfest won't open _n files, so I can't see what information is contained within. So I wouldn't even know where to start if I was going to make my own file.

In the mod by F-bomb, i'm only replacing the 'custom_c5.bmap' and the 'custom_damaged_c5.bmap' files with the new skin files I created. The other four files remain unchanged, other than to edit their names accordingly.

How are you making your own damaged skin overlays? Are you able to share a screenshot? All I've been doing is adding a damage layer to my master image file, adding some scuff/scratch textures and saving it as my 'custom_damaged_c5.bmap'. This works fine for showing scrapes on the paint during wheel to wheel racing and whatnot, but collisions just make the body panels look "wonky" instead of dented like the stock cars.

JBM

Unfortunately, getting the damaged layer bmap of DLC is not so easy. The art files are inside the big data file.
So there is a way of accessing those files? I couldn't see anything obvious for DLC vehicle files in those folders. :confused:

Zebulon55

ZeBBy
Master Blaster
I'm I missing something Zeb, I don't see a new icon when I go to Livery? And would I need your roof menu icon?

I just see the one O with a line through it. Not 2.
Purp; The veli file, like the vepa file, must be set to always available, or it won't appear.

Zebulon55

ZeBBy
Master Blaster
So there is a way of accessing those files? I couldn't see anything obvious for DLC vehicle files in those folders. :confused:
There does seem to be a way, but it probably is prohibited under the "reverse engineering" part of the license.

I recommend that you try to get damage layers from other artistic modders or maybe bugbear would release some art for skinning. or make your own damage layer.

Zebulon55

ZeBBy
Master Blaster
Hi TT, and thanks for your responses.

I'm adding skins via the Painting Tutorial mod by F-Bomb. I'm not replacing the stock ones. The skins I have created so far all contain the six files you listed above, but because I've only made the skins for the hearse and the sweeper at the moment, I can't copy the _n or _s files for my new skins, because we don't have access to the DLC files.

Breckfest won't open _n files, so I can't see what information is contained within. So I wouldn't even know where to start if I was going to make my own file.
There is a plug-in for making normal maps (_n.bmap) in The GIMP and in Photoshop. covered in F-Bombs videos.
I believe. appears to me to make a light blue image with bumps corresponding to car detail.

I make specular files by making a red, blue, and green layer, then set the red and blue to somewhere around 10% transparency, and I set green way low. I get a shiny effect this way. vary the transparency of the colors to change the effect.

look at a base game car's files to see what a spec file looks like - all bumpers, trim and details.

First post here discusses specular files:

Good luck.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
That did the trick. :)

I go do a quick test, guess who I ran into?? What the odds "he" show up while I was testing your skin Zeb and "he" almost beat me. I had to give him a shove to beat him!! ;)

Now that you refresh my memory, you skinners use to use Default, then Bugbear made a change and you skinners had to start using Always. And I had go in and make the change to all them custom car skins vepa files in my track mods awhile back.

Guess I better go check the veli file too.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Only found 2 other cars with veli files. The Rammer and RS version and the Bulldog. Seem you the only skinner doing liverys for the custom skins I got.

TT

For FBomb's mod, does it have _n and _s files for the DLC cars?

I make my own so I haven't checked.

As far as viewing DLC skin files, there are ways view graphics files for all games but I'm unclear on whether we're supposed to discuss that stuff here.

I'm guessing FBomb and I use similar methods.

They're tricky and a lot of work. Especially the _n files for the DLC cars. A lot of manipulation has to be done on them to make a template file or something usable in the game. Things like swapping color channels and inverting without messing up the alpha layer.

For the hearse, there are actually 2 versions. In the game, if you look at the unpainted version with no skins or liveries, one is cleaner and has no dents. The other has more dust and dents.

I barely started making a template for the cleaner version..

The only DLC cars that I've released _n and _s files for are the Wingmen and Outlaw so far.

Last edited:

Zebulon55

ZeBBy
Master Blaster
Only found 2 other cars with veli files. The Rammer and RS version and the Bulldog. Seem you the only skinner doing liverys for the custom skins I got.

<snip>
<snip>
Oh yeah. The Ace of spades Rammer with the Assassin Raceclimb /GIB driver name livery. We were trying to get Raceclimb out there for mod nights with a Motorhead skin. Then he dropped the Assassin name, so that livery is useless.

That is probably my most complex custom _s file. It shines.

The livery feature was new and I was experimenting with 2 (body and livery) colors coming thru the "hairy" skin.
Then they made 3 color liveries, so that became unnecessary as well. The joy of early access modding. lol

I didn't do many liveries. It is a nice feature for putting unique driver's names/numbers on a common skin - like team colors.
Just make a name/number livery for each teammate while all use the same skin.
It's also cool the way Bugbear uses it masking several variants of a skin.

Last edited:

Zebulon55

ZeBBy
Master Blaster
That did the trick. :)

I go do a quick test, guess who I ran into?? What the odds "he" show up while I was testing your skin Zeb and "he" almost beat me. I had to give him a shove to beat him!! ;)

Now that you refresh my memory, you skinners use to use Default, then Bugbear made a change and you skinners had to start using Always. And I had go in and make the change to all them custom car skins vepa files in my track mods awhile back.

Guess I better go check the veli file too.
He's obviously a much more skilled driver than I.

TT

When I get time, I also started the Raven.

It will probably be a few days before I get time to work on it, though.

I hope to release overlays and also files for _n and _s

TT

Ok, restarted hearse, sweeper, and raven. I remember what I did now.

For the hearse, I'm making two versions, One cleaner. One with more dust and dents.

It might or might not be a week or possibly before I stick them in one of my mods. I heard something about a new glitch in mod publishing.

The glitch is supposed to get fixed in the upcoming Wreckfest summer update. If the update is a long way off, I'll just figure out a way to publish anyway.

I might also do another batch of cars after these.

Last edited:

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
New update will get release this week. We had hope for Tuesday, but did not happen.

From WF discord today:

jannesBB — Today at 7:49 AM
In the next update soon.

And Janne posted this when I asked:

" Purple44 — Today at 2:44 AM
will problem with publishing a mod be fix? Be back like it was before this last update cause an issue and we had to do a work around? "
[11:12 AM]
jannesBB — Today at 7:38 AM
Absolutely, yes.

So issue with publishing a mod should get fix with the next update.

TT

A new update just came out today but they couldn't add the mod fix yet. They said maybe in a few days when they release another update.

I haven't loaded the update yet. Wondering if I should back everything up. File structure changed a little. Somebody said it was now easier to add car paints.

I'll see if old mods with car paints still work.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
The Devs ran into some technical issues trying fix the publishing mod issue:

jannesBB — Today at 6:16 AM
Sorry, actually not yet due to some unforeseen technical issues... always these, I'm ashamed to admit.

[6:16 AM]
But we will patch it soon, hopefully in a few days.