Gas Guzzlers Combat Carnage

Spok

When in Rome..
Hi chaps, just a note to say i've been playing a little known game called 'Gas Guzzlers:Combat Carnage.
Its similar to the Flatout in its madness & mayhem, but with guns, rocket launchers & mines etc.
If you want to check it out here's the link, its darned good fun. http://www.gamepires.com/

GoldenApe

Team Bugbear Member
Huh, how did I miss this one? I love me a bit of combat racing. There's a demo out which I'll be checking out later. Dunno what to expect, so hopefully it'll surprise me.

Edit: OK, I tried the demo for a bit and hey, it's actually a pretty nice game! Once you turn off crap like bloom, volumetric light, motion blur, etc. that is, because if you turn it on you'll get blind. At first I was afraid it'd be like Flatout 3, because Gas Guzzlers has a similar level of cheezyness, same kind of horrible menu-interface that tries too hard to emulate games like the original Flatout and also a similar graphical look. HOWEVER! This game does not suck. Cars handle pretty well, the tracks in the demo are layed out well and AI is good enough to keep you busy for a while. The shooting action is a bit dubious because it doesn't feel as effective as it should. Of course this isn't Mario Kart where everything is ripped out of proportion, but to me in Gas Guzzlers it all feels a bit too small in scale. Power-ups are hardly visible apart from the red ring around them, so you don't really know what you'll be picking up until you're 2 meters away from it; There's bonus points for destoying things but there's hardly anything to destroy; etc. etc. I guess these are the kind of flaws you can expect from a B-game, but on the driving front this game can really compete with the double-A titles (one tier below AAA). I just wish they could do a bit more with the physics engine (have proper car damage models, etc.), make the weapons and powerups a bit more in-your-face like Blur did and present it all in a slicker, more modern and professional way.

Anguish

What else do you want to expect? This is literally the best indie racing game of the year (2nd best racing game of Eurogames awards after Driver: San Francisco methinks)

Oh BTW, this on Steam Greenlight as well.

M

Mopower

Dominatrix said:
What else do you want to expect? This is literally the best indie racing game of the year
I have to say that most people are probably turned off by the weapons. It gets too close to games that have a reputation with being bad driving games. The GTA series, despite having a couple of cool places and cars, makes all the cars drive like they are 70s land yachts and the suspension is better on my mom's 1965 sport fury. For the most part, I think that people are scared to try it because that particular genre is geared towards killing and not driving. I am not saying that this game is like that in any way. I'm just saying, cars+weapons always turns into bad driving games because it's more about power ups and shooting then it is about driving.

Anguish

There's a no-weapon race mode, but that's practically killing the entire game's concept.

And about that....it's basically people's mass paranoid of seeing whatever arcade racer that isn't Burnout or Need for Speed will fail miserably (i.e SHIT GAME DON'T BUY BECAUSE NFS/BURNOUT IS BETTER). See my sig.

M

Mopower

Dominatrix said:
There's a no-weapon race mode, but that's practically killing the entire game's concept.

And about that....it's basically people's mass paranoid of seeing whatever arcade racer that isn't Burnout or Need for Speed will fail miserably (i.e SHIT GAME DON'T BUY BECAUSE NFS/BURNOUT IS BETTER). See my sig.
Need For Speed is not that great, and Burnout is ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY TERRIBLE!! But yes, that is exactly my point. People saw the weapons and were all like, "There's wet Nigerians running around in basement!"

I will check out the demo, but I just don't like weapons+driving unless the weapon is your car.

GoldenApe

Team Bugbear Member
I think the main problem is the combination of weapons and realism. People love combat racing, but onle in the style of Mario Kart, Modnation Racing, Little Big Planet Karting, etc. Make it more realistic and it fails, as proven by Blur, Split Second, Twisted Metal, etc. And indeed, strip away the weapons from these games and you have just NFS/Burnout look-a-likes that even if they're better, won't sell better because they lack the name and legacy.
I actually don't know if RRU was a success in terms of sales, because it does fall into the same category as the Need for Speeds and Burnouts, but it came out in a pretty good time of the year where there was no competition from either of those titles.

But yea, it's difficult to be successful in the race genre these days. You can't go for a big, realistic racer with lots of cars because Forza and Gran Turismo already have that covered. You can't go for arcade because Need for Speed and Burnout already have that covered. You can't go for rally racing because Dirt already has that covered (for what the mainstream is concerned, at least). You can't go for Formula 1 and other track racing because Codemasters has those covered as well with F1 and GRID. You can't go for combat racing because Mario Kart and its PS clones have that covered. And sim, true rally racing (not that Ken Block crap), derby, carmageddon-like stuff, etc. are all too niche to get a proper budget for.

Honestly I think one of the only type of racer that would make a chance would be a Flatout-like one, where you got the best of all worlds without directly competing with any of those specific subgenre-dominating titles.
(edit: oh, but I might be a bit biased because I just love Flatout :D)

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
GRID derby racing the only racing game I can think of that has given Flatout some competition. Codemasters has said there will be no derby racing in GRID 2 and Codemasters try at a derby racing game failed badly with DIRT Showdown.

I think right now, there still a lot Flatout\GRID derby racing fans dying for a good bump to pass\derby racing game with 12 players online!! And if game is mod friendly, would give it longevity like Flatout 2.

It to bad Gas Guzzlers Combat Carnage has not been available on Steam. With a Steam release, Gas Guzzlers Combat Carnage would of had a chance to build an online community. Efforts were made to get Gas Guzzlers Combat Carnage listed on Steam, but nothing has happen.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93045414&tscn=1346402081&insideModal=0&requirelogin=1

Why no Gas Guzzlers: Combat Carnage on Steam?

Anguish

^It is already on Steam Greenlight for a VERY LONG TIME. I don't know why it hasn't been greenlighted yet (but I somehow hate Greenlight because some idiots always know how to downvote/hating anything they see no matter how good/bad it is); I think Steam management is completely paranoid of arcade racers after this early year's massive flop nosedive of Steam arcade racer.

psychicparrot

Always look both ways before crossing the street.
I don't think we'll be seeing any racing games on Steam other than the big titles now, thanks to Greenlight. If Crash Time, WRC or Gas Guzzlers can't get greenlit I think we'll have to go elsewhere for racing games that aren't multi-million dollar budgets. No matter how you look at it, Gas Guzzlers is a cool game that should be on Steam!

It's actually on sale direct from the developers at the moment for $14.99 http://www.gamepires.com/buy-gas-guzzlers.aspx - I got family to buy it for me as an early Christmas present and I'm really enjoying it. It feels to me like a cross between Interstate 76 and Blur - it's quirky and cool fun and I'd totally recommend it.

Lots to unlock, fun car customization, quirky stuff (a Johnny Cash song, fun voiceovers, a blow-up doll etc.), loads of weapons and fun arcadey physics. The physics aren't Flatout, but they are a lot of fun. Opponents crash and roll really nicely when you blast 'em... it's all good!