Hotfix 07-09-2014

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Re: Hotfix Update 07-09-2014

I hope LAN mode will work with Tunngle in the next Build so we can stop trying to use LAN Bridger program.

Not Bugbear fault, they gave us a bare bones LAN mode in Build #5 and we tried to do what we could with it. Just hope next Build of LAN mode has the code that Tunngle wants.

There are a couple of things I would like to see improve on in the current LAN mode:

1. I think we need a taller text chat box. It don't take to many posts before posts scroll off the top of screen. With 12 players in the lobby, that can happen quick before you can read all the posts. I also would like to be able to scroll the chat posts. Say cache the last 50 posts.

Also would be nice to be able to type more letters to a line. I find I'm typing away and then see I'm missing last part of post and have to start a second line. But I can understand the line limit of 54 characters since text chat will work in race also. So would not want a long line of text going across the screen.

2. Glad to see host can start the race even when all players are not ready up. Flatout 2 allow host to do this. :) But in NCG, player(s) that are not ready up, are disconnected from lobby. :( This is a bad thing. Flatout 2 let players that are not ready up, to stay in the lobby so can join next race after they get back from the restroom or frig.

And if a player is not ready up after couple of races, host could do a kick vote if need to free up a spot for another player to join lobby.

RagingRoach67

Master Blaster

Purple44 said:
2. Glad to see host can start the race even when all players are not ready up. Flatout 2 allow host to do this. :) But in NCG, player(s) that are not ready up, are disconnected from lobby. :( This is a bad thing. Flatout 2 let players that are not ready up, to stay in the lobby so can join next race after they get back from the restroom or frig.

And if a player is not ready up after couple of races, host could do a kick vote if need to free up a spot for another player to join lobby.
I agree this is how it should be implemented. Don't split up a group if you don't have to. Encourage group play!

Purple44 said:
1. I think we need a taller text chat box. It don't take to many posts before posts scroll off the top of screen. With 12 players in the lobby, that can happen quick before you can read all the posts. I also would like to be able to scroll the chat posts. Say cache the last 50 posts.
The whole lobby layout was really quickly hacked together. For example, the 54 character limit was due to us not having time to do any multiline functionality so we decided to limit it to single line. Tero calculated how many characters would at most fit there in his design, with reasonable margin for nickname, but as some characters are narrower and I probably used wrong font size in implementation etc, so the actual rows look a bit short. :) Also, if you look closely, you'll notice that the background is the exact same used in the after-race results screen. :p It's safe to say that the menus will go through changes in the future.

Purple44 said:
Good point, will look into it. (Currently everybody that are connected to the lobby get their car loaded, so the disconnection was done so that there would not be zombie cars blocking the way in the start grid.)

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member

Tapio Vierros said:
Purple44 said:
The whole lobby layout was really quickly hacked together. For example, the 54 character limit was due to us not having time to do any multiline functionality so we decided to limit it to single line. Tero calculated how many characters would at most fit there in his design, with reasonable margin for nickname, but as some characters are narrower and I probably used wrong font size in implementation etc, so the actual rows look a bit short. :) Also, if you look closely, you'll notice that the background is the exact same used in the after-race results screen. :p It's safe to say that the menus will go through changes in the future.
Multiline functionality would be nice, but would need taller chat box and to be able to scroll chat box.

So the online lobby is just temporary for now, will get revamped. :)

I also hope to see this to help with chating in the lobby:

Multiplayer Do's and Don'ts.

Purple44 said:
3. When player is typing a text message, have an indicator next to player's name showing player is typing a message. I like this as a host. I hate it in Flatout 2, someone may be in the middle of typing a message and as host I start race before player finish the message . With indicator, I can hold off starting the race until player has posted message. One tip to avoid host starting race before you done with a message, don't ready up.

H

hande11

Hande11] [quote author=RagingRoach67 said:
.. However! If you swap the 427 into any of the American cars, then they are drift kings. They handle phenomenally on both courses and are a joy to drive. I personally think they should always be like this, as long as you can balance the AI.
Big thanks back to you, RagingRoach67: i was just checking your finding that swapping big block, heavier V8 427 hp engine to American car affect their drifting / corner driving on sand / gravel tracks. What a great find! It seems really to have big positive effect, the handling improves hugely!
With bigger engine installed, it somehow alter physics so that now being able to also slide through the corners all the way and the oversteering compesation is not behaving erratically, ie. throwing the car like a "slingshot" to opposite direction when compensating / correcting car direction while sliding on the turns.

Can heavier engine bring more weight / mass to car, so it has proper momentum in turns (front will not be sucked anymore into the inner turn) ? Is it more front heavy and tail gets looser, so you can get that tail not gripping too much on turns? Or more hp for rear tires to achieve consistent powerslide? Or perhaps game engine / physics feature / bug? Tested using bigger engine while driving with kb only (lame), all aids full, or all off, except Stability control half.. the sliding through corners is much nicer now in both cases!

Todo: some more tests to do with American models + more heavy horses packed under the hood.. ;)
[/quote]

Update 1:
Had positive driving session in gravel + sandpit with American muscle -car with bigger V8 427 hp engine switched onto it. Switched into Rally suspension too on those tracks. With those two setup changes, had nice experience in turns, where you can really slide or powerslide in controlled manner in turns (controller: keyboard, Stability aid: half, other aids off). One more effecting factor can be also pure driving speed increase what bigger engine brings and effects what is the "entering speed" when you get into the turns.
Nice to see, that suspension has huge effect: in tarmac you get very non-gripping effect if you put higher rally suspension for it and vice versa for more tarmac-suitable, lower Race suspension (more grip).
(these are just my 5 cents, i bet everyone has a bit different driving styles and controllers.. :) )

Update 2:
Here are couple of videos too from empty gravel track to get feel about above setup changes, it was a lot of fun with sliding car in turns (not the most efficient driving style though, hard to win races, but very fun and challenging :) ).

Actually, with two above car setup changes, i like now a lot with driving feel with keyboard on gravel + sand, not so much to improve the way i like to drive.. driving is challenging: you cannot have full throttle all the time: on turns or compensating the momentum to opposite direction you need many times to ease off fully the throttle.. but one can keep car in control by very rapidly throttling and braking on/off/on/off.. (<- sometimes on/off many times per 1 seconds duration, like abs brakes -style of behaviour) on places where there is spin danger, as keyboard does not have any middle power / progression.

While Fraps recorded these videos, it limited my gaming framerate to 30 fps (and 30 secs) and i found out that delicacy of steering is disturbed hugely with fps going so low. Hence not the most "pushing to limits" -driving i could do either in these videos. Normally i get at least 45 fps and then steering is much easier and responsive with that frame rate in turns.. 45 fps should be priority 1, to get good handling feel.

Wonder if anyone else than RagingRoach67 and me have found and like this setup, especially how car behaves and slides in corners?

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.

Purple44 said:
3. When player is typing a text message, have an indicator next to player's name showing player is typing a message. I like this as a host. I hate it in Flatout 2, someone may be in the middle of typing a message and as host I start race before player finish the message . With indicator, I can hold off starting the race until player has posted message. One tip to avoid host starting race before you done with a message, don't ready up.
Huh. This is... this is actually a pretty damn good idea. Duly noted!

RagingRoach67

Master Blaster

hande11 said:
Here are couple of videos too from empty gravel track to get feel about above setup changes, it was a lot of fun with sliding car in turns (not the most efficient driving style though, hard to win races, but very fun and challenging :) ).
Man, I need to fire this game up again. That is how the driving should be and I do hope others agree with us. Drifting is fun! We don't need a simulator 8)

HYLK

Full time wrecker

Jori Virtanen said:
Purple44 said:
The bad side would be that someone "trolling" with the host and the other drivers. Just to be an ass, and have the opportunity to see people leave and not to race. It happens alot in multiplayer games with ready up function. If u want to text a message, it should never be possible to type a novel.
Another idea would be, if a host wants to start the race event, everyone gets a confirmation question.. ready, yes or no. No, then u have 30seconds to a minute to be ready.. or the game starts and u get kicked. Or something like that.

Needles Kane

Weeked Smasher

HYLK said:
Another idea would be, if a host wants to start the race event, everyone gets a confirmation question.. ready, yes or no. No, then u have 30seconds to a minute to be ready.. or the game starts and u get kicked. Or something like that.
This is already in. Not question thought but when host desicated to start race timer starts ticking (30 secs) and if you didn't press 'Ready' -button, you get kicked.

HYLK

Full time wrecker

problem there would be someone forgot to press the ready button, and have to wait again.. very irritating, however, with a security question poping up, u have the opportunity not to miss ur chance to compete, but also insure the other players that u are there, and will compete.

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989

A sound should be played when the timer goes down.

One beep when timer starts. one at 10 secs. And then some more beeps... :D

So you get warned acustically to ready up, when you're out for drink, smoke, whatever... :)

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member

HYLK said:
Jori Virtanen said:
Purple44 said:
The bad side would be that someone "trolling" with the host and the other drivers. Just to be an ass, and have the opportunity to see people leave and not to race. It happens alot in multiplayer games with ready up function. If u want to text a message, it should never be possible to type a novel.
So my friend had to answer the phone get kick?? So my friend went to the bathroom and had to take a crap, he is kicked too?? Or the friend that had to step out side for a smoke, he get kicked too?? ( Don't smoke bad, expensive habit! ) And you are going to make host wait 30-60 seconds before race starts?

Why should a player get kicked if not ready up? We will have a kick vote to get rid of Trolls and text chat to ask players to ready up. Let host control his\her room. No automatic stuff!!

There are racing games where race won't start until everybody ready ups, now that a feature a troll could use to cause trouble. And there will always be Trolls messing with the text chat!! Grrr
A
as
p
v
gf
g
h
jh
h
j
p
jj
l
jjj

Like Lari Fari idea about a beep to warn players need to ready up for next race, is going to start in 10 seconds.

Ryno917

Full time wrecker

I it would be best for all tracks to have a sort of 'pit lane.' If you don't ready up in time, your car is placed in the pit lane, out of the way of the racers, and you can join the race when you're ready (several laps down, if that's the case).

ThomasMink

Ryno917 said:
I it would be best for all tracks to have a sort of 'pit lane.' If you don't ready up in time, your car is placed in the pit lane, out of the way of the racers, and you can join the race when you're ready (several laps down, if that's the case).
Eh... I'd say just shoot them into a spectator mode until the current race is over.

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989

While it sounds fun at first thought, whats going to happen? As the race cannot be won anyway those people will just crash into whoever crosses their path first. That can't be good... And although its unfair and you would expect a fair player not to do it, its just too damn tempting. And sooner or later you will see even the finest racers do it...

A spot as spectator would be nice though. With choice of following certain player, cinematic view OR take a seet in the ranks and watch race with free look from there :)

sam223

Weeked Smasher

ThomasMink said:
Ryno917 said:
Eh... I'd say just shoot them into a spectator mode until the current race is over.
+1.Or just leave them in the lobby with everyone elses status changed to 'racing' and a option to join as a spectator

MSPORTBMW

Master Blaster

A spot as spectator would be nice though. With choice of following certain player, cinematic view OR take a seet in the ranks and watch race with free look from there :)
[/quote]

Agreed totally......spectator mode where you can choose to follow any remaining car would be great.

KazzyMac

Unce Unce Wub-wub-wub
Team Bugbear Member

sam223 said:
ThomasMink said:
Ryno917 said:
+1.Or just leave them in the lobby with everyone elses status changed to 'racing' and a option to join as a spectator
The tracks (except the figure-8) do have pit lanes modelled so ... why the hell not? It would even be good for a jump-in/drop-out session like qualifying or a 'set the best lap' where you would start in the pits, go out, come back in once you're done.

sam223

Weeked Smasher

KazzyMac said:
sam223 said:
ThomasMink said:
Ryno917 said:
The tracks (except the figure-8) do have pit lanes modelled so ... why the hell not? It would even be good for a jump-in/drop-out session like qualifying or a 'set the best lap' where you would start in the pits, go out, come back in once you're done.
Free practise mode online would be great for lobbies running a raceday/championship events/leagues.It gives leagues/lobbies a chance to run a few laps and see how the rest of the field laps while people are having a smoke break/toilet etc before starting.
Id like to see it similar to how rfactor works.Where you can drop from race track to lobby and back to the pit lane as much as you want with a session timer showing how long is left in the session in the lobby.Basically the lobby is similar to steam overlay once the session is started,so people can chat with drivers in race and in the lobby without exiting from session to lobby fully.The lobby features a set of fixed spectator cams so people not on track can see whats happening before they join the circuit and a list of driver status (racing,in lobby) / stats (lap time etc).
Id like to see a similar system for the actual race events but with the join track in pit lane option changed to join as spectator.