Hotfix 2015-07-01

iceuponfire

This update fixed the lag in multiplayer mode for me, now i can play online. Thanks :)

The new features are greats (hud, server filters, games modes). I hope BB improve the graphics soon :)

Burrito Jefe

Hey guys,

I know the forums are already awash with opinions, but when in Rome...

I was a little adamant at first about the update but I have grown quite fond of it over the last few hours of play. First off, I love the new cars - It'll be great once they are fully implemented and all of the little bugs have been ironed out. The new handling was a little off putting at first and there are definitely some issues that need to be sorted, but all in all, I'm quite liking the new feel. Graphically it is far from polished, but thats ok, whats there is pretty nice and I'm sure it'll look great once the Post FX make a comeback. I find the damage modelling to be quite good, especially in derbies, though the wheels have a mind of their own!

I see alot of potential with what they've given us and, though I may not have so much playtime as it currently stands, I like where it's all headed. But here's where I will get critical...

- Shifting gears has become a major PITA, why does it take all day to get from 4th to reverse when I spin out?? (Xbox controller, manual trans). In real life it takes about half a second to mash it in reverse, I'm sick of spamming that damn shoulder pad a dozen times per gear change!!

- I absolutely hate the speed limit when going backwards/OOB, at least just make it an optional feature of MP

- Correcting from a slide can be nearly impossible. Realistic or not, I find it takes alot of fun out of the race when I have no way of recovering after a shunt or an over enthusiastic piece of drifting.

- The wheels become sort of detached from the suspension after heavy damage, they sorta just do their own thing and start floating about the place like nobodies business. I find myself getting stuck on my side alot because of the wheels being displaced so far down from where they should be :-S

- I get huge frame rate drops at the start of the race in single player (as it does the little camera run around the track)

- Flipping the car has become a bit unimpressive, there's often no sounds or visual damage involved when I land on the roof

- The road noise in mudpit is a little annoying, I could get over it though

Other than these few things I'm pretty happy with how it plays. I've been hit a little hard on performance, but I am maxing out the settings on 64 bit DX11, so I can't really complain. I crashed a few times initially, but since the hotfix I am yet to have any major issues. I'm still yet to have a bit of successful multiplayer fun, I'll wait until it's bug free.

FWIW I'm running a GTX 980, 3570K and 16GB RAM with the settings maxed out. I use an Xbox controller with no assists.

I'm very happy that the project is moving forward and I can't wait for more updates. Although we've taken a few steps backward I can't thank bugbear enough for their hard work.

Hunter

Burrito Jefe said:
- I absolutely hate the speed limit when going backwards/OOB, at least just make it an optional feature of MP
This so much, I know other people have posted about it to but I just want to give my own experience with it.
So i was just playing on a speedway figure 8 server, no resets, crossed the start/finish line to begin lap 4. Came around to the crossover and by chance I get t-boned on the crossover. So I get knocked most of the way down the home straight towards the start/finish line, so now I am 'wrong way/out of bounds' and then I get knocked even further pass the line.

At that point I had a choice, ever go correct way and do half the lap again at 20mph or go wrong way up home straight at 20 mph. I went for the wrong way, didn't hit anybody doing it but it lost me precious time on a server with no rules, so wrong way was acceptable according to host anyway.

MRT

Ok guys dont get me wrong i bought the backers edition because i just love demolition derby, and the first alpha content looked realy good...

was very disappointed to see no updates for at least 8 months, So now here it is, the long waited patch...

grapichs..? dont know what happend but it looks like a boarderland texture pack or something.

Content... wel dont see mutch change, but thats because you guys have focused on PHYSICS, and srry to say in my eys you guys failed big time.

The time it cost to make this patch doesnt give me any hoop this game wil be finished in the next few years...

I realy wanted to make this a positive post have played over 160 hours in first alpha builds, but if this is the direction the game goes...i just cant. Il take my loss and wait until a new demolition derby lookalike is made by diffrent developers.

So long and good luck drive save ect..

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
t3MP//3ROr said:
Kuustio said:
Hejsan :)

Only real issue now, and it's a big one, is fps in multiplayer. Previously I could host, or play in, 24 player servers without problems. Now it seems that whenever the player count exceeds 10 or so (I haven't experimented this thoroughly) my fps dips to unplayable level. I played on three of four hosts tonight all of them having the same issue. Let's say there's half a dozen people playing and everything goes smoothly, but when the next half dozen joins in I can't play there anymore. This is with graphic options turned all the way down except for resolution. I haven't tried hosting yet to see if I'd have the same problem then, but having 24 cars in single player works fine.

I'm not computing at very high rate, having Phenom II X4 @3450MHz 8Gb and R9 280, but shouldn't that be good enough to play even at minimum settings? I chatted to a familiar player having same kind of fps problems, and he has Phenom II X4 @3500MHz. Could this issue relate to Phenom II X4?
I think you might be right about your CPU holding you back. I have the same GFX (R9 280@1100MHz) but an Intel i5 3570K@4400MHz, yesterday I set everything to max (1080p) + 2xMSAA with all boxes checked (I think, can`t remember exactly) FPS was around 40-70 (minimum FPS 30) and played with up to 24 people without noticeable lag.
I have a i5 2500 and a 660 and with new hotfix, I was getting 10 FPS online until Hoppen told me a fix ( my FPS offline are good ):

Multi Player is unplayable at any setting now

dgrams2003

STILL CANT CHANGE CARS BETWEEN RACES... Ugh.

Where?
Single player.
Example: I'm doing a small derby, single player with 20 other opponents. The game is over.. I come in 3rd. I get kicked to results screen with CONTINUE>REPLAY>etc... I still can't change cars on the fly here. I have to CONTINUE and go all the way out to the main menu, select car and relaunch the map/race. Very annoying.

Like the update - but still annoyed that I can't change cars post race. (I play as much single player as I do multiplayer)

Fisu

Looks like you forget to install anti-roll bars in your cars. Now there is logic in handling. Thanks to move out from arcade. Other way all cars are horrible to drive.

longtimeago

"When in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
Allright! A few racing sessions with the following settings has got me excited for the future. If this is the 'baseline' they will start improving and expanding on, this might become a great game!

Now, before I will go on about the things I recorded, let me get the details out here first.
My rig is pretty decent, I do dare to say that my PC is probably slightly better than most wreckfest players have out there currently, which is why I have conduct all my findings on the best possible graphic settings and share them with everyone so that some might say "hey, if I do this, it also works for me!".

Specs:

- Intel Core i5 4670K ~ 4.0Ghz
- GTX 680 2GB ~ 1201Mhz (It's the heaviest GTX 680 out there, the Asus GTX680-DC2T-2GD5)
- 16GB DDR3 RAM ~ 1866Mhz
- Game Installed on WD Black 1TB

I play with an Xbox 360 controller on standard control configuration for it.

Game graphic settings:

A few notes:
- I could not set MSAA further than that. It kept jumping back to that position...
- Particle Quality slider is set to the middle. The highest settings with Particle Quality complety lags and framedrops my PC. (If you have low framerate with compareable rig, try this one!)
- FXAA is ugly and causes washed out textures, turn it off completely or use MSAA.

My video:

My playtime yielded some interesting things:
- I love the graphics of the cars currently, yet the world graphics seem a bit stale but will probably be better later on!
- Shadows are acting somewhat funky with the edges... (Soft shadow problem?)
- I absolutely hate the new look and play of the sandpit. Way too big, way too 'forgiving' and way too boring. For a semi-realistic banger experience, this is NOT a good track.
- The Euro coupé seems to roll a lot that may be the cause of the big engine in it. Maybe its bodywork was not created for engine this size. I have not tested the smaller engines yet. Would be cool if this is really a limitation of putting in too-big-too-handle-under-heavy-cornering-engine-blocks.
- Damage looks good but will sometimes act really strange where the entire body is getting shaped like a banana because of one little bump to the back or front...
- All 3 cars that I have tested have different handling and really feel like "they are true to what they are supposed to feel like" currently. I like it a lot.
- A.I. makes mistakes and really feel challenging at some points and extremely stupid at other points, which is absolutely correct behaviour to online players.
- Still no tyre/tire deformation, deflation and/or jammed up in the bodywork.
- Still did not have a single game where tires would be 'slammed' off completely, strangely enough.

Well that is it for now I think... See the video for yourself and be the judge. :)

Keep it up BB!

The Driver

Full time wrecker
It's very often that if something is new, people don't like it. That needs time to understand what's new and how it's changed. And exactly this time I took and I am happy with the new Build and the Hotfix with the look in the future.

Bugbear made so many changes. The game was build nearly from the ground up new. And you do feel it everywere.
I like that. Of course, the tracks are more empty now, but this will change in the future. The damage model isn't finished and needs to be finetuned a lot, but it works more realistic than before.
Handling is much better. The cars feel more connected to the input device (in my case an Xbox 360 gamepad) and I can control everything much better. However, the engine gets broken too quick and deformation of the driver is really strange.

All in all it was a huge step forward and I'm sure Bugbear has the right base now to improve everything and of course add tracks, cars and a lot of stuff around the tracks to make them look nice.

I know this will come last, but performance improvements are also a must. There are from time to time still those really strange FPS drops, which makes the game unplayable. It starts with 50-60 FPS but sometimes it gets stuck at 30 or less without a reason. That was a problem with the old engine and it seems this still exists.

longtimeago

"When in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
The Driver said:
It's very often that if something is new, people don't like it. That needs time to understand what's new and how it's changed. And exactly this time I took and I am happy with the new Build and the Hotfix with the look in the future.

Bugbear made so many changes. The game was build nearly from the ground up new. And you do feel it everywere.
I like that. Of course, the tracks are more empty now, but this will change in the future. The damage model isn't finished and needs to be finetuned a lot, but it works more realistic than before.
Handling is much better. The cars feel more connected to the input device (in my case an Xbox 360 gamepad) and I can control everything much better. However, the engine gets broken too quick and deformation of the driver is really strange.

All in all it was a huge step forward and I'm sure Bugbear has the right base now to improve everything and of course add tracks, cars and a lot of stuff around the tracks to make them look nice.

I know this will come last, but performance improvements are also a must. There are from time to time still those really strange FPS drops, which makes the game unplayable. It starts with 50-60 FPS but sometimes it gets stuck at 30 or less without a reason. That was a problem with the old engine and it seems this still exists.
Turn particle quality down or off. I also had that and only had to reduce particle quality... But there are so many different PC configurations, it could be anything.

B

BrianUK

I think it's called 'Vertical FOV Offset', or something to that effect.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
BrianUK said:
I think it's called 'Vertical FOV Offset', or something to that effect.
I also would like Bugbear to add a "horizontal FOV Offset". I feel my chase cam is to low. Make it hard to see how close I'm to cars in front of me and hard to judge when to turn into a turn.

I like my far chase cam to be at a angle where I can just about see the front of the car.

Adjust FOV or camera position.

Purple44 said:
I also would like to see a slider for chase cam so I could adjust cam to go higher so chase cam can almost see front of car. This where I like the second chase cam to be in Flatout 2. Easier to see what coming ahead.

Second chase cam now with sedan:

Second chase cam where I would like to see it: ( moved cam in photo mode )

Maybe I can get a 1:07 second lap time with this view in Sandpit forward track.

dgrams2003

Are we hosting multiplayer yet, or is BB Servers? And... will we have a way to choose between them or is it going to be one or the other?

Micky G

Im I right in thinking that we shouldn't expect any updates now because of public holidays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk