Hotfix 2015-07-07

FAN_RJS

Tnx for the update BB. I ll have to ask about the FFB fix.. is there any plan for it in terms of time? i cant finish a lap because is so game breaking, as soon u start steering the ffb pull all to the lock in that side, so if u start to steer to left wheel gonna try to go full lock to left, in some cases it feels inverted. Also is very easy to have zero response from it while turning the car. Hope u can give a little of light in this doubt since is my main concern atleast. tnx in advance

Dela

Weeked Smasher
I have small thing i like you to fix for next update. When you are testing controller settings that makes cursor appear in the settings window and you end up changing settings accidentally when you just want to test your steering. That is extremely annoying.

I don't know what BB has done regarding wheels controllers, but my G27 feels all weird now, i've tried during nearly 5 hours to get the same feeling i had with all settings before that hot fix, but nothing seems to work good, car is sliding all over the place, i'm now 2 to 3 seconds behind all my best laptimes, which is huge, it's unbelievable !
It's so frustrating that i want to stop that game for a long time, which is quite a shame after playing more than 700 hours.

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
Cono said:
St. Jimmy said:
Cono said:
Now wheel support is quite nice with 360 degrees, but then only 180 degrees are usable or car will oversteer a lot.
This isn't a problem when you learn it, but it's a bit odd.
I really hope we could get proper support for 540 degrees and actually could use whole rotation.
That's why there is steering sensitivity option so you can tune how responsive the center and outer are. With that you can make the car act like it has power steering so the center is very responsive or make it act the exact opposite that the center is very unresponsive but the outer responses quicker.

If your problem with 540 rotation is that the car turns too much when you don't turn the wheel much, then go to the negative steering sensitivity.
If your problem with 540 roation is that the car doesn't turn enough with small movement near the center, then go to the positive steering sensitivity.
Actually I mixed up. I meant understeering.
Currently steering sensitivity works like decreasing wheel rotation, because 100% rotation just come sooner.

Example:
If you set your steering wheel to 540 degrees (from Control Panel) and set Wreckfest's steering sensitivity to +100%, then real maximum rotation is about ~340 degrees.

540 degrees is normally -270 deg to +270 deg and with 100% steering sensitivity it's about -170 deg to +170 deg.

When you rotate your steering wheel to +170 degree, your car tires are 100% turned to right and you don't need to rotate steering wheel further, because you already have it maxed out.
There isn't point to rotate it more, because you already have 100% and range 171-270 doesn't make any difference to 170 degree where 100% starts. 360 degs is better than 540 degs with +100% sensitivity, because then you know when you have maxed out.

Another problem is that if you set steering wheel to 360 degrees (-180 to +180), then only range -100 to +100 is ever needed, because over 100 degrees will cause understeering (and tire smoking). Only at very low speeds (after crash) -180 or +180 may be needed.

Try out DiRT Rally with 540 degrees (remember to calibrate) and you'll know how it should be.
Aah OK so it's physics side of problem then. Yeah I agree that understeer/oversteer back and front grip needs still a lot of tuning to get the right feeling. Especially the Euro1 acts funnilly when you're turning the back wheels start to spin but the car just understeers and loses speed when it really should oversteer and you should be fighting with the back end.

So some people FFB got fixed with this hotfix like my Fanatec but some got broken like Flying-spirit's G27. Anyone that has problems please report and say what wheel you're using!

Cono

St. Jimmy said:
Cono said:
Currently steering sensitivity works like decreasing wheel rotation, because 100% rotation just come sooner.

Example:
If you set your steering wheel to 540 degrees (from Control Panel) and set Wreckfest's steering sensitivity to +100%, then real maximum rotation is about ~340 degrees.

540 degrees is normally -270 deg to +270 deg and with 100% steering sensitivity it's about -170 deg to +170 deg.

When you rotate your steering wheel to +170 degree, your car tires are 100% turned to right and you don't need to rotate steering wheel further, because you already have it maxed out.
There isn't point to rotate it more, because you already have 100% and range 171-270 doesn't make any difference to 170 degree where 100% starts. 360 degs is better than 540 degs with +100% sensitivity, because then you know when you have maxed out.

Another problem is that if you set steering wheel to 360 degrees (-180 to +180), then only range -100 to +100 is ever needed, because over 100 degrees will cause understeering (and tire smoking). Only at very low speeds (after crash) -180 or +180 may be needed.

Try out DiRT Rally with 540 degrees (remember to calibrate) and you'll know how it should be.
Aah OK so it's physics side of problem then. Yeah I agree that understeer/oversteer back and front grip needs still a lot of tuning to get the right feeling. Especially the Euro1 acts funnilly when you're turning the back wheels start to spin but the car just understeers and loses speed when it really should oversteer and you should be fighting with the back end.

So some people FFB got fixed with this hotfix like my Fanatec but some got broken like Flying-spirit's G27. Anyone that has problems please report and say what wheel you're using!
Or maybe it's steering sensitivity scaling problem, because it cuts steering wheel rotation?

FFB works pretty nice with Thrustmaster T300 RS too.
Also handling works pretty good, when you learn how to avoid understeering and stick with low steering wheel rotations like 360 degree.
Understeering could be a handling/physics problem, because front tires angle shouldn't affect that much?
If you're driving too fast, then car should understeer (and push straight forward) that much.
When you slowly rotate your steering wheel closer to lock, that shouldn't cause that much understeering.
Of course in theory, if it's done very quickly it could cause understeering and front tire smoking for a short period of time.
Now it will understeer as long as you keep your steering wheel rotation "too high" (close to lock / full rotation).
Fortunately decreasing gas and avoiding full rotations helps a lot.

Nice work BB, the stability of the cars is much improved I think, the FFB needs some work though. The FFB isn't very intuitive at the moment and the cars should be easier to sort of drive themselves in a oversteer. I also found the AI a bit easy with the easier driving mechanics but that's fine, I realise balancing difficulty takes a backseat to making the driving fun.

With improved FFB and reimplementing the damage stuff, Wreckfest will be better than ever I think. Gonna reiterate that I would really like more bumps and obstacles on the "redone" sandpit track. It doesn't have to go back to exactly the way it was but when you compare it to the gravel track, it is way too easy and no depth to driving the track. Before you could memorize all the bumpy bits and use them to your advantage or avoid them or use them to wreck other cars, now it's just meh smooth corners and even crests, SPICE IT UP BABY!!! Please.

Once again good job though, I like how quickly it is progressing.

Adziej

Weeked Smasher
Purple44 said:
Handbrake improvements were in the July 3 hotfix. But now the handbrake back to acting like in my video: :(
Unfortunately for me handbrake was (and is) working all the time as in your video. :( That's why I ask for it frequently.

Adziej

Weeked Smasher
Dela said:
I have small thing i like you to fix for next update. When you are testing controller settings that makes cursor appear in the settings window and you end up changing settings accidentally when you just want to test your steering. That is extremely annoying.
There should be a button "Test steering" or something like that, which would lock all the sliders except these responsible for steering.

MSPORTBMW

Master Blaster
Thanks so much for the latest hotfix BB.
My only real gripe at the moment is as many have said is the level of damage.....it just seems a bit tame at the moment. At the moment you can hit someone at top speed and it does not make much of a dent, when in reality it would bend the car like a banana with a Top speed T bone hit.
Also, when other tracks are added at a later date, I'd love to see 1 or 2 tracks similar to the race driver grid Derby tracks....with 1 or 2 crossover points and a jump or 2.....I don't mean big jumps, but a little bigger than the current one on the small figure 8 track.
All in all I'm happy with this latest build/ hotfix.

Cheers

Matrix404

BB are there still plans to release that fancy physics / tire testing tool. The reason I ask is maybe that could help us tell you what we don't like and actually show or record data? with regards to steering breaking, etc.

Also why not have the handbrake adjustable just like on a real car? That way everyone can dial in the amount of breaking they want. This also can effect break part damage.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
MSPORTBMW said:
Thanks so much for the latest hotfix BB.
My only real gripe at the moment is as many have said is the level of damage.....it just seems a bit tame at the moment. At the moment you can hit someone at top speed and it does not make much of a dent, when in reality it would bend the car like a banana with a Top speed T bone hit.
Also, when other tracks are added at a later date, I'd love to see 1 or 2 tracks similar to the race driver grid Derby tracks....with 1 or 2 crossover points and a jump or 2.....I don't mean big jumps, but a little bigger than the current one on the small figure 8 track.
All in all I'm happy with this latest build/ hotfix.

Cheers
I've been trying to convince Bugbear to make a GRID 1 style figure 8 track. And now add team racing to the mix, the track be a blast!! :D

Here my plea for GRID 1 type Fig 8 tracks to be included in new game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nYkkawc606Q

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
Cono said:
St. Jimmy said:
Cono said:

Example:

Or maybe it's steering sensitivity scaling problem, because it cuts steering wheel rotation?

FFB works pretty nice with Thrustmaster T300 RS too.
Also handling works pretty good, when you learn how to avoid understeering and stick with low steering wheel rotations like 360 degree.
Understeering could be a handling/physics problem, because front tires angle shouldn't affect that much?
If you're driving too fast, then car should understeer (and push straight forward) that much.
When you slowly rotate your steering wheel closer to lock, that shouldn't cause that much understeering.
Of course in theory, if it's done very quickly it could cause understeering and front tire smoking for a short period of time.
Now it will understeer as long as you keep your steering wheel rotation "too high" (close to lock / full rotation).
Fortunately decreasing gas and avoiding full rotations helps a lot.
OK I played with the setting more and I can see the problem with it. I made a bug report http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,7912.0.html

GRabbit

The cars are lagging now and the handling got way worse. I still got 80fps and round about 30ms ping, it only appeared after the latest hotfix.

Cono

GRabbit said:
The cars are lagging now and the handling got way worse. I still got 80fps and round about 30ms ping, it only appeared after the latest hotfix.
I don't have any problems and handling got much better.

MaexxDesign

WoW !
Much better performance !!!

I played with max. 45 FPS before.
Now I have up to 105 FPS.
And I didn't change any hardware.

Thank you, bugbear !

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
I give Bugbear a lot of respect for working overtime into their vacation time.
such a cool company indeed 8)

Hunter

That visual damage on the Twitter image is looking awesome! This is one thing that keeps me interested in the game for sure.
btw was the visual damage upped/fixed in the current hotfix? because I see alot more than when Build 7 first come out.

I am impressed by BB's post Build support!