Hotfix 2015-07-07

Janne Suur-Näkki

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys, we're doing our best.

Hunter, do you mean singleplayer or multiplayer? No changes to the actual visual damage are in just yet, but netcode performance optimizations have affected it in multiplayer.

And see, the wheels can break loose once again ;-)

Hunter

I have only played mulitplayer on this hotfix so far. Before the cars barely dented on my screen even in singleplayer, now they actually fold.
I guess it must be that netcode optimisation or something has finally triggered for me..I don't know, either way I am alot happier :D

and I look forward to losing my wheels again! Lets see if I can lose one or two before first bend again, like in Build 6 haha.

GUYS!!.. I did a thing!!!!!...

Also I have a bug to report (minor). When doing this very long and nerve racking 60 lap race on sandpit, the engine sound stopped working around halfway through (I believe it was lap 34) and when I finished the race I was congratulated by dead silence (no applause!?.. cmon now.. lol) but yeah it seems like extended play time bugs out the sound a bit. To specify I could still hear the AI car sounds perfectly as well as ambient sound from my car such as idling and the engine revving down occasionally. It's not a super big issue of course but as the game gets further developed it would add a good polish factor for the sound to always work (unless turned off manually).

AAAAAAAND FINALLY!!.... here's that thing I did (Sorry no recording for this one.. maybe next time)

Nice Glasses said:
Also I have a bug to report (minor). When doing this very long and nerve racking 60 lap race on sandpit, the engine sound stopped working around halfway through (I believe it was lap 34) and when I finished the race I was congratulated by dead silence (no applause!?.. cmon now.. lol) but yeah it seems like extended play time bugs out the sound a bit. To specify I could still hear the AI car sounds perfectly as well as ambient sound from my car such as idling and the engine revving down occasionally. It's not a super big issue of course but as the game gets further developed it would add a good polish factor for the sound to always work (unless turned off manually).
flatout 2 had this kind of sound bug too. a bugbear thing. :p

FAN_RJS

Cono said:
St. Jimmy said:
OK I played with the setting more and I can see the problem with it. I made a bug report http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,7912.0.html
Thanks! I should've done that myself already :)
tnx cono and Jimmy for the explanation of the problem, yes, its a shame it doesent support more than 180º... now it have sence, once you go over that rotation FFB go to the lock making the game so hard to enjoy, i would add to Cono suggestion just one thing, nowdays wheels go over 1080º so i would atleast make a support for that rotation, shouldnt hurt anyone include most hardware´s aviable.

rwb

Weeked Smasher
FAN_RJS said:
Cono said:
St. Jimmy said:
OK I played with the setting more and I can see the problem with it. I made a bug report http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,7912.0.html
tnx cono and Jimmy for the explanation of the problem, yes, its a shame it doesent support more than 180º... now it have sence, once you go over that rotation FFB go to the lock making the game so hard to enjoy, i would add to Cono suggestion just one thing, nowdays wheels go over 1080º so i would atleast make a support for that rotation, shouldnt hurt anyone include most hardware´s aviable.
There is no problem with "support," understeer simply feels weird through FFB. More steering wheel rotation will actually increase your margin of error when approaching the limit of traction and make it much easier to control understeer when combined with careful throttle application, but I've tried to explain this already and it seems to be lost on the people who are having trouble.

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
FAN_RJS said:
Cono said:
St. Jimmy said:
Well the support is already there. I already play nicely with 540 rotation. There's just little bug with steering sensitivity if you want to go high or low with it and the physics are bit off that combined can feel bigger thing.

Cono

There's a huge difference whenever high rotations are properly supported or not.
It isn't that simple that you just set rotation to 1080 degrees and start driving.
Whole FFB needs to be designed for high steering wheel rotations.
Best option is that there would be a in-game calibration/wizard for your current setup.
Then FFB would always feel good, regardless which wheel or rotation you're using.
It would serve all kind of wheel users.

Anyway, steering sensitivity is a very important parameter for this and needs to be fixed first.

DeadMeat

Weeked Smasher
After the hotfixes the game looks very promising.

Few things though:
-Center of gravity seems to be too high in the cars, or it feels so. This makes cars fall on their side when taking a corner even in low speed. Also COG should be almost there where the engine is (in front or rear). If it's in the right place already then there's something wrong with the physics.
-Cars are sliding on sand/gravel/etc like the ground was a slippery plate (when the car is not on it's wheels that is). It should be more like this:
and
-A lot more debris should be flying when crashing/rolling over/etc
-The gravity (or the weight of the cars) should be reduced just a little bit to make cars fly more. I don't know if this would mess up the driving physics but together with two former things I listed it would generate more spectacular crashes.

Other than that I'm enjoying the game as it is right now.

Mr.Hat

This hotfix has significantly improved my performance in MP races. It's nice to be able to play again. Thank you!

Henkka77

Full time wrecker
Cars are still wayy too slippery. Like driving on ice all the time. I liked the old handling model much better.
I really hope that driving model is still heavily under works and gets a lot of polishing..

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
Henkka77 said:
Cars are still wayy too slippery. Like driving on ice all the time. I liked the old handling model much better.
I really hope that driving model is still heavily under works and gets a lot of polishing..
Our game is still only in Pre-Alpha state... so there is still a long ways to go with refinements.
I actually like our physics right now, EXCEPT! for 2 issues...

1) Hand brake not strong enough.
2) cars rolling over easily!

However,... I really like the way the cars lean around corners (like real cars) and how they dip a bit when braking.
very cool suspension effects. but just they will roll over when going to fast around sharp corners :mad:

I don't know what you guys are doing but I haven't flipped a car unintentionally since the initial release of build 7. Maybe use stiff settings?

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
Nice Glasses said:
I don't know what you guys are doing but I haven't flipped a car unintentionally since the initial release of build 7. Maybe use stiff settings?
Used all settings.... and of course soft suspension is the worse!
if only the hand brake was a bit stronger, to be able to lock up the rear end better and let the car to be able to slide around the turn, that would help a lot!
I admit, I do hit corners fast, and try to manage them... the only way right now, is to slow down very much so the car is not tipping even at 35-40 mph!

YesNo

Daystar said:
Nice Glasses said:
Used all settings.... and of course soft suspension is the worse!
if only the hand brake was a bit stronger, to be able to lock up the rear end better and let the car to be able to slide around the turn, that would help a lot!
I admit, I do hit corners fast, and try to manage them... the only way right now, is to slow down very much so the car is not tipping even at 35-40 mph!
i played only few hours of new build but managed do fronflit with new euro car ,just by braking and hiting random road bump , so it seems not so hard

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Nice Glasses said:
But what cars you been driving?

I don't think I have rolled over the new Muscle 3 car yet, but I have rolled the Sedan.

Cono

Purple44 said:
Nice Glasses said:
But what cars you been driving?

I don't think I have rolled over the new Muscle 3 car yet, but I have rolled the Sedan.
Euro Coupe 2 is quite a roller too.
Muscle 3 is slippery, it feels like 1500 whp.

Cono

Nice Glasses said:
You'll need a little bump on the road, crash/touch or jump/bouncy road for that.
It's doable with speed only.

I can mostly manage, but it takes too much effort atm.
Low speed, plenty of braking and handle with kid gloves.

If you have enough speed, then rear tires have too much grip (or something) and it causes understeering.
On other hand AM3 oversteers a bit too easily.
AM3 won't roll over so easily, but it's otherwise very hard to handle.
AM3 could be the thing, when you have game's most powerful engine and lowest tier tires just for fun.

Heavy physics are good thing, but maybe those could be toned down a bit.
Or maybe cars should have better technology. Not traction control or ABS, but modern rally tires etc.

Janne Suur-Näkki said:

Hunter, do you mean singleplayer or multiplayer? No changes to the actual visual damage are in just yet, but netcode performance optimizations have affected it in multiplayer.

If I can just suggest one thing when it comes to visual damage, because that twitter pic looks pretty cool but we're missing roof deformation. The A pillar should push the roof up instead of shrinking in length. Just like in this pic

But aside from that, the visual damage looks really really nice. :p. Keep at it!

Shortcut

Full time wrecker
Hati Hroovitnisson said:
Janne Suur-Näkki said:

If I can just suggest one thing when it comes to visual damage, because that twitter pic looks pretty cool but we're missing roof deformation. The A pillar should push the roof up instead of shrinking in length. Just like in this pic

But aside from that, the visual damage looks really really nice. :p. Keep at it!
You are sooo damn right! :)
All the parts from the car especially the sheet should Wringle not shrinking in length.
And the parts like the bumper and the front mask could hang down and scratch on the ground after a crash instead of falling away. Or better: the parts can loosen on one end and hang a bit down and after each crash the part can hang lower till it scratches on the ground and falling off when the hit energy is too high.

And i have to say another really anoying thing: its the steering locker maan its terrible on the speedway the car handles like a car in gran turismo... :/ (that faster u drive than less u can steer).