Hotfix 2015-07-10

sam223

Weeked Smasher
BenDover said:
Atleast you guys can play the game :(

I am just so tired of everything right now, you HAD a really great game with build 6, it was fun, you felt the speed and you needed to try and find the good lines to get good times... The "rework" some was good, some was not good, the dedicated server was super! BUT you need to work much on it... Lastest hotfix make the server crash on any map, befor it was just the sandpit maps (route 1/2) was more stable then the normal sandpit. I really take this really serious but I feel that I let my players down... I cant prommes a issue free server that us up for 24/7 that it should be. And now I cant even play the game...
I cant play either ben. Was bad update 7,then 7/7 hotfix helped with framerate. 10/7 hotfix killed it again. 100% cpu at all times, 60 fps with 1 car but it drops a lot to 1-3fps. Online its 7-10fps at all times

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
orbotnive said:
The AM2's sliding more than accelerating, it seems easy to avoid pit manouvers now.
In Build #6 was way to easy to pit the cars and if accidentally bump a player in the rearend, you could pit him. Build #7 I can still pit a Sedan using the Muscle 3 and using the right pitting technique. And now I can race close and not have to worry if guy in front of me brake harder than I expect and I tap his rearend, I don't pit him. :)

orbotnive

Purple44 said:
In Build #6 was way to easy to pit the cars and if accidentally bump a player in the rearend, you could pit him. Build #7 I can still pit a Sedan using the Muscle 3 and using the right pitting technique. And now I can race close and not have to worry if guy in front of me brake harder than I expect and I tap his rearend, I don't pit him. :)
I was talking about being on the receiving end personally, I'm waving all over the place but still manage to continue in front of the perpetrator 7 times out of 10 at a guess. I agree that it was too easy before and I wouldn't say that it's a bad thing just something I noted. Yes also I find it easier to stop the unintentional pits and still knock out the guys who tried it on with me aheh heh. Stop me if you can! try harder..

Cono

sam223 said:
Exactly,its why RBR is considered one of the best rally games of all time. Years after release. Yet no one cares about dirt series or official WRC games post release. Sega rally 2.... Because in general they are just polished turds. Look great but don't give the same sense of driving/racing and being on the very edge.
RBR is way too hard to handle. If actual (real) driving would be that hard, we wouldn't have any alive drivers on the planet. Sega Rally Revo is challenging even handling isn't too hard. DiRT Rally have very nice balance. Casuals could easily drive that, but not so many can master that game.

Driving should be easier than it is in real life, because there's many things that you can't feel through monitor or even via FFB.

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Cono said:
sam223 said:
Exactly,its why RBR is considered one of the best rally games of all time. Years after release. Yet no one cares about dirt series or official WRC games post release. Sega rally 2.... Because in general they are just polished turds. Look great but don't give the same sense of driving/racing and being on the very edge.
RBR is way too hard to handle. If actual (real) driving would be that hard, we wouldn't have any alive drivers on the planet. Sega Rally Revo is challenging even handling isn't too hard. DiRT Rally have very nice balance. Casuals could easily drive that, but not so many can master that game.

Driving should be easier than it is in real life, because there's many things that you can't feel through monitor or even via FFB.
You are right,it shouldn't be harder than real life. You also right about simulating reality,especially with things like lateral g forces placed upon a driver. But you learn those whilst driving, just like you can learn how to drive without those forces.
RBR isnt hard to drive in though. But to drive fast in that game takes great concentration.You could never drive completely flatout like other rally games,there was no auto correcting opposite lock. If you made a mistake,it punished you rather than aiding you through it.

I really liked the sense of weight transfer and differences between grip and limited grip surfaces in that game. You had to control the throttle,brake,steering,weight transfer and grip in unison. And that when you drove really fast, you felt like you were hanging on for your life.

Still not played the most recent dirt rally, but heard its had good reviews.

kennta340

Full time wrecker
sam223 said:
BenDover said:
Atleast you guys can play the game :(

I am just so tired of everything right now, you HAD a really great game with build 6, it was fun, you felt the speed and you needed to try and find the good lines to get good times... The "rework" some was good, some was not good, the dedicated server was super! BUT you need to work much on it... Lastest hotfix make the server crash on any map, befor it was just the sandpit maps (route 1/2) was more stable then the normal sandpit. I really take this really serious but I feel that I let my players down... I cant prommes a issue free server that us up for 24/7 that it should be. And now I cant even play the game...
I cant play either ben. Was bad update 7,then 7/7 hotfix helped with framerate. 10/7 hotfix killed it again. 100% cpu at all times, 60 fps with 1 car but it drops a lot to 1-3fps. Online its 7-10fps at all times
I feel with you :(

Ryno917

Full time wrecker
Cono said:
What? RBR isn't hard to handle at all. It's only hard when you drive it like any other arcade game. Drive it like a real rally car and it's not difficult to drive at all. It's difficult to drive right on the limit - just like real life. If something is not difficult to do, then you're not doing it at the best it can possibly be done. Playing hockey isn't hard, but playing hockey at a professional level is.

And for the record, race cars used to be very difficult to drive fast, and a lot of amazing drivers did die.

Uh, no, driving a proper sim should be more difficult (at first, anyways) than real life because you lack those senses, and therefore have less information over what is going on with the vehicle. Once you get used to the sim, though, you find other means to substitute for the lost information.

Aruzo

DeadMeat said:
You can adjust FOV in the options. ;)
Indeed You can. But I feel this should not be the necessary for regular players. I feel that the game should have a bit more sense of speed right out of the box without the user having to set it up him/herself. Of course it is nice to have it as an option if you want to increase/decrease it, the more settings the better IMO :D . but I feel that the "out-of-the-box" settings should be so that they are fine for 90% of people.

And I also don't know if messing with FOV setting is enough to achieve that missing 10% of speed sensation, There might also be some other way this could be achieved.
I'll have to mess with the settings a bit more to find out....

Cono

Ryno917 said:
Cono said:
What? RBR isn't hard to handle at all. It's only hard when you drive it like any other arcade game. Drive it like a real rally car and it's not difficult to drive at all. It's difficult to drive right on the limit - just like real life. If something is not difficult to do, then you're not doing it at the best it can possibly be done. Playing hockey isn't hard, but playing hockey at a professional level is.
There's colors between black and white. It's unrealistically hard. It really isn't THAT hard to drive a car.

Ryno917 said:
Uh, no, driving a proper sim should be more difficult (at first, anyways) than real life because you lack those senses, and therefore have less information over what is going on with the vehicle. Once you get used to the sim, though, you find other means to substitute for the lost information.
Wreckfest isn't a proper sim and shoundn't be one.

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
Cono said:
Ryno917 said:
Cono said:
There's colors between black and white. It's unrealistically hard. It really isn't THAT hard to drive a car.
I don't know what's hard to handle in RBR, problems only come naturally when you go too fast and wide. IRL you would drive slower than in the game. In game it's natural to push over the limit because you aren't physically there but FFB and other vibrators can give some sense to it. I can't remember even spinning in RBR other than just going out of track or using handbrake wrong.

Big Ron

Tried the new Hotfix from 10th July for some hours yesterday after the quite big mess after the big update. And I have to say that IMO Wreckfest is back in line and much fun again. Most of all, gamepad-control works out of the box again and is quite handy (XBOX360-gp, changed speed sensivity to 80%). Car control is much much better and drifting very fun again. Also, car handling has changed positively. Any car I´ve tried can be driven again without me shitting my pants all the time, but more trustfully. It´s a nearly great mix of realistic challenge and arcade-like fun. Could stay like this if you ask me. IMO the game doesn´t need more simulation handling-wise.

Didn´t try the 32-bit-version, but after latest fix the 64-bit-game runs very well. I could set everything to high or max at FullHD without bigger framedrops. Looked quite smooth.

Tried the new game-modes for the first time, too :D. I like them. Especially team-race is a quite nice idea.

Some things that still bother me quite a bit:
- rollover-physics acts like someone´s throwing around paper-boxes -> cars look like they have no weight

- when cars tilt over on two wheels to a certain angle, it is like the handling-physics cut off -> no control over the car and you are just sliding straight at a certain point although still driving on two wheels (not sure, if it´s a bug or crash-physics set in)

- still don´t like the visual damage. It´s ok to a certain point, but just looks completely wrong and different to how car-damage should look. I like the intention of real heavy deformations, but liked the Flatout 1-damage much more because car parts deformed while you still had the impression of a body-frame keep together the car

- the AI is off after the fixes or rather unbalanced. I guess it has to do with more grip for the player-car. With most cars I can beat the AI after two corners, on some track with 4 lap-races I can get a 26 sec.- lead. Biggest problem is that AI brakes too early and too hard before corners.

- car balance isn´t there, yet. The American Sedan and the European Coupé (the Capri-lookalike) are quite slow in stock condition compared to other cars while e.g. the American Muscles and the new European-car perform quite fast. The Pontiac GTO-lookalike seems to be prefered in Multiplayer because it´s the overall fastest car

Overall, sorry for my hard word the last time. You did a great job with the hotfixes and hopefully can improve some of the points in the future. Overall it´s fun to play the game again.

MSPORTBMW

Master Blaster
The Good

Im liking the damage more now.....but as others have said, maybe a little more is needed along with more debris.
As for the handling, im finding it much better being a keyboard player....nowhere near as much fishtailing.

The Bad
I am getting quite a few big lag spikes in MP even with a ping of around 60

Good job Bugbear and keep up the good work fixing these problems.

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
Yeah I have to agree with MSPORTBMW on this.... Need more debris on tracks after some good wrecks.
also Keyboard play has improved substantially in this build. much much easier to control cars out of fast corners, feels really smooth and natural now.
However I have had some hard hitting lag spikes in my races... not to often though, and they do not effect my gameplay. over all Bugbear is doing a great
job, and this is still Pre-Alpha!

For what it's worth I would have paid for 2 games. One with Build 6 like handling, imagine that build with a ton of cars/tracks and polish, like others have said it had the longevity to keep me and others playing most nights for 8 months, 8 months! Then you could have made a sequel and taken as much time as you wanted without backlash to develop this new engine. Would have been a win win no?

Build 6 was so good, it literally just needed more content and polish to be its own stand alone game. At least that's my view anyway.

Best of luck BB :)

Fisu

greenslave2 said:
For what it's worth I would have paid for 2 games. One with Build 6 like handling, imagine that build with a ton of cars/tracks and polish, like others have said it had the longevity to keep me and others playing most nights for 8 months, 8 months! Then you could have made a sequel and taken as much time as you wanted without backlash to develop this new engine. Would have been a win win no?

Build 6 was so good, it literally just needed more content and polish to be its own stand alone game. At least that's my view anyway.

Driving model 6 was not so good and it was very arcade. Only thing to kept me playing it was good community around it.

Fisu said:
greenslave2 said:

Driving model 6 was not so good and it was very arcade. Only thing to kept me playing it was good community around it.
Yeah everyone will have their own opinions about it, all I know is it was really fun and I enjoyed it for months on end. Hopefully this new build will reach that standard once again given some tweaks.

B

BrianUK

Janne Suur-Näkki said:
This would help us tremendously. Actually, it would be really perfect if everyone had their hardware specs + what controller they're using in their sig.
I've run out of space in my sig :-(

Janne Suur-Näkki

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, we're somewhat low on manpower due to the holiday season but we're still in the full attack mode ;-)

The next build will improve (and stabilize) performance on all systems, address a critical server bug that caused crashes as well as improve visual damage + other more minor stuff. Due out tomorrow after testing.