Hotfix 2015-07-10

DeadMeat

Weeked Smasher
Janne Suur-Näkki said:
The next build will improve (and stabilize) performance on all systems, address a critical server bug that caused crashes as well as improve visual damage + other more minor stuff. Due out tomorrow after testing.
Thanks. Now I can't sleep.

B

BrianUK

Janne Suur-Näkki said:
Yep, we're somewhat low on manpower due to the holiday season but we're still in the full attack mode ;-)

The next build will improve (and stabilize) performance on all systems, address a critical server bug that caused crashes as well as improve visual damage + other more minor stuff. Due out tomorrow after testing.
Are there changes to the handling?

DeadMeat

Weeked Smasher
Janne Suur-Näkki said:
Nope. Were you hoping for something specific?
Well Brian hasn't answered yet, but I must say it's a bit too easy even with keyboard and all assists off. In my opinion ideal would be 80% of this build and 20% of the former build mixed together. Drifting is now spot on but brakes are just a little bit too strong. Not much but a little. :)

B

BrianUK

Janne Suur-Näkki said:
Nope. Were you hoping for something specific?
Sorry, I was wasting time on Imgur :p

I was hoping for the brakes to be toned down a bit and the handling to be moved back to where it was at the hotfix on 7/7. As I've said before, driving is a little bland right now.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Administrator
Staff member
No problem, Imgur is sometimes a perfect time-waster :D

I take it that you guys mean the 'primary' brakes, and not the handbrake? As for the handling, what is your controller of choice?

WorldofBay said:
you're running on a 500 GB SSD? do you ever see loading screens?
Well, having an SSD really does help a lot with performance. But to be honest I keep the SSD mainly for OS and development related stuff, that's where poor performance really hurts.

i actually didn't experience changes in the two hotfixes of 7/7 and 10/7 but everyone's talking about it. how is this possible?
ok i noticed brakes are slightly stronger since 10/7 but i don't count them as handling, more as a standalone car spec like top speed or 0-100 acceleration time: brake power.

what i did experience is that damage got more in the last hotfix and i actually liked the low damage in derbies before (not in races). not the visual damage, but the actual damage was nice at that low amount. i'm sure that the actual damage is caused by visual damage at the moment as replay gives hints at that caused by the hilarious damage reset bug i actually don't want to miss in next hotfix. :D

and for all derby lovers here: the euro coupe now is a hard and heavy car and can take a lot of damage, even slightly more than the sedan! but it is much slower so the sedan causes more damage which makes it still the better banger online. but in offline derby i use the coupe now, so adorably durable.

@janne: brian is pad-user

B

BrianUK

Janne Suur-Näkki said:
No problem, Imgur is sometimes a perfect time-waster :D

I take it that you guys mean the 'primary' brakes, and not the handbrake? As for the handling, what is your controller of choice?
Yarp, primary brakes, and I'm on an XBox 360 pad. I'll sort out a way to get my specs into my sig, I've only got 43 characters remaining :(

rhamm

Weeked Smasher
Team Bugbear Member
Cars got a lot more controllable for me with the 7/10 build and I never use the handbrake. The current physics probably make side by side racing easier but they also take away some of the feel while driving the car. I'd like a little more feel when driving with my steering wheel. I understand if they don't change it though, they can't please everyone.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Administrator
Staff member
In the last update we made soem changes in the suspension setups (geometry, springs, dampers etc.) that of course had an effect on the handling, but not really by that much. However, the tyre in the latest updates is slightly more forgiving and it's easier to recover from fishtailing especially with the gamepad or a keyboard or when driving from a chase camera where you tend to be 'late' with the controller input. I can understand that because of the tyre changes some of the 'purity' was lost as there's not as much challenge as before. It would be very interesting to hear feedback from other players as well.

Thanks for the feedback regarding brakes, we'll check tomorrow.

Cono

Handling with the latest hotfix is better than it was before. I'm using Thrustmaster T300RS wheel.

Xtel

Janne Suur-Näkki said:
In the last update we made soem changes in the suspension setups (geometry, springs, dampers etc.) that of course had an effect on the handling, but not really by that much. However, the tyre in the latest updates is slightly more forgiving and it's easier to recover from fishtailing especially with the gamepad or a keyboard or when driving from a chase camera where you tend to be 'late' with the controller input. I can understand that because of the tyre changes some of the 'purity' was lost as there's not as much challenge as before. It would be very interesting to hear feedback from other players as well.

That is the problem Janne. The latest hotfix took away that 'purity' that I learned to like in the last 14 days. I don't feel as challenged as I did before and I don't get enough feedback from your new car physics. I got on two days ago to play for an hour, didn't really have fun, and have absolutely no desire to play again. That sounds scary i know, but you guys needed to pick one, <arcade driving> or <more realistic driving that I saw two weeks ago>. Going back and forth between the two will not really do anything good. I understand that this game is still changing and I know you guys can make a great game in the end. So lets hope for the best.

Cono

Xtel said:
Janne Suur-Näkki said:

That is the problem Janne. The latest hotfix took away that 'purity' that I learned to like in the last 14 days. I don't feel as challenged as I did before and I don't get enough feedback from your new car physics. I got on two days ago to play for an hour, didn't really have fun, and have absolutely no desire to play again. That sounds scary i know, but you guys needed to pick one, <arcade driving> or <more realistic driving that I saw two weeks ago>. Going back and forth between the two will not really do anything good. I understand that this game is still changing and I know you guys can make a great game in the end. So lets hope for the best.
I did manage with that harder build, but many didn't. It's much accessible
and better now. I want to play this with my casual friends too. Game shouldn't please only hardcore players. Wider audience is also better for financial reasons.

B

BrianUK

Cono said:
Game shouldn't please only hardcore players.
Stop being ridiculous, the game was far from hardcore last Thursday. Besides, who are the group you are going to retain and take forward to future games? The hardcore guys.

rhamm

Weeked Smasher
Team Bugbear Member
BrianUK said:
Cono said:
Game shouldn't please only hardcore players.
Stop being ridiculous, the game was far from hardcore last Thursday. Besides, who are the group you are going to retain and take forward to future games? The hardcore guys.
This probably just shows that I'm old but that reminds me of NASCAR Heat where you could change a setting in an INI file and get to the hardcore physics mode.

Finally got time to play enough of the latest hotfix to comment.

The handling is much better, could be a touch less forgiving on tarmac but it's pretty fair on dirt (scandanavian flicks on every corner :p), I don't think it needs huge changes really. The damage is really good now, so much more fun to play. Had a few races where I got some pretty tactical takedowns by identifying the weak spots and nailing then. Also pretty fair with the no damage for very low speed contact, it balances the game well. The AI picks some strange lines and is a tad easy though, but it's leaps and bounds better than before the big update.

The force feedback feels a bit better but that could just be from the handling changes, it's not bad but I think there is a fair bit of room for improvement. I also don't like how the force of the ffb scales with the weight of the car. I can barely feel anything when driving the "mini".

One other thing, a sort of automatic clutch for the low revs in first gear would be nice, its a bit painful to be changing to neutral to get a launch. I would also appreciate faster gear changes, I get the realism, but irl I might skip gears if I crash and go from 4th to a dead stop, and it's a painful way to get back into the race taking 5s to get to neutral then rev then 1st gear.

I like the direction though, keep it up!!

MSPORTBMW

Master Blaster
Like someone said earlier, I don't think the handling needs too much tweaking now.
But this will always be the problem, finding that sweet spot that everyone's happy with.
For me being a keyboard user, it's very nice now being able to drift and not fish tailing out of control when coming off a bend.
The damage seems better now but needs maybe less brick wall debris, and more car debris.

One thing that I'd like to see in future builds.....is patches of oil left on track where there has been a big 3 or 4 car pile up......therefore making it slippery when driving over it.......I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I ain't seen it for a while, so I thought I'd give it a bump.

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
MSPORTBMW said:
Like someone said earlier, I don't think the handling needs too much tweaking now.
But this will always be the problem, finding that sweet spot that everyone's happy with.
For me being a keyboard user, it's very nice now being able to drift and not fish tailing out of control when coming off a bend.
The damage seems better now but needs maybe less brick wall debris, and more car debris.

One thing that I'd like to see in future builds.....is patches of oil left on track where there has been a big 3 or 4 car pile up......therefore making it slippery when driving over it.......I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I ain't seen it for a while, so I thought I'd give it a bump.
I have to agree with handling. it is very exceptional now, and not twitchy which was plaguing us keyboard warriors in the past!
the brakes, not hand brake is really strong. but comes in handy on Oval 2 track when nearly striking the outer wall.

Also the idea about oil leakage after a brutal wreck is an awesome idea!

Great job Bugbear.... but I am really curious where our next hotfix Build puts us keyboard users at!

Edit: I play with no assists AM2 car
And... just got a new record today at the Speedway 1 oval 21.999 Woohooo!!! lol

longtimeago

"When in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
I have yet to film some footage of the new patch, but currently I like the handling (since for me it has a perfect mix between Realism and Arcade, somewhat like Forza on very easy handling settings). Ofcourse will record something soon.

Also, since the new patch the 32-bit version launcher is kind of problematic. Waaaay too many framedrops when lots of shadows are on the track/car/etc. (On highest settings possible)
But now when I use the 64-bit launcher, it doesn't crash for me anymore 3 seconds in to race and I have buttersmooth framerate (on highest settings possible).

The only problem for me now is that there need to be MORE Banger Race (Gravel, Tarmac, etc) races in Europe with low ping. I love the clean racing server that is on 24/7 but sometimes I just want to smash... And the only low ping server where you can smash others in low Ping is the large Oval track...