Hotfix 2015-07-10

T

T3MPraw

I think the handling in Hotfix 07.07 was pretty good, you had to be carefully and precise (xbox360 controller) I enjoyed time trials in gravel with AM2 very much because of the step curve to "master" it to perfection, oh I did not get there, but I had the feeling that it would take a lot of practise and it feelt "realistic" how the car reacted. Hotfix 10.07 made it to easy to just hit throttle and get the racelines in and then your set. If you decide to have Arcade and Sim mode those to Hotfix presets could be used.

I like obstacles, oil or parts from other cars or.. that I have to avoid with high speed is just my thing, and after all this is wreckfest :)

Little bug: My settings for graphic is not being saved, so I have to apply them everytime I start the game.
Edit: I forgot, I only use DX11 version, It´s been this way since build 7 was released.

Adziej

Weeked Smasher
t3MP//3ROr said:
Little bug: My settings for graphic is not being saved, so I have to apply them everytime I start the game.
Do you switch between dx9/dx11? Every time you run the game with different dx version than previously, your graphics settings will be restored to defaults.

Big Ron

Nothing against handling-optimising and some minor changes. But I don´t see why this game needs to be another simulation. Most simulations or games with "realistic handling" took years to feel good and failed in first try. Mostly because you need to have a perfect working system between tire-/ suspension-/ FFB-physics. You shouldn´t go that way, especially because it strikes the intention of the game. Before the hotfixes the cars were fishtailing all the time and pretty hard to recover (often no way to recover), especially on gravel. Also, I personally don´t want to put my FFB-wheel on the desk all the time just to be able to control the cars. I mean, I like challenges and also play simulations. But I don´t like that everything nowadays needs to be a simulation. There can be games with middle-ways. As it is now, it is still challenging enough, but more important, it is big fun in multiplayer since you can race with ALL people and not just with the simulation-ruling class with FFB-wheels being able to handle the car. It´s still a challenge to master the tracks and cars, but it´s not overly hardcore-hard and interrupting the gameplay.

Yes to oil puddles of wrecked cars :)

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
BrianUK said:
Janne Suur-Näkki said:
No problem, Imgur is sometimes a perfect time-waster :D

I take it that you guys mean the 'primary' brakes, and not the handbrake? As for the handling, what is your controller of choice?
Yarp, primary brakes, and I'm on an XBox 360 pad. I'll sort out a way to get my specs into my sig, I've only got 43 characters remaining :(
Put your computer specs in a small pic and then do ]img] [/img] in sig.

rauli badding

Im my opinion the handling in the newest hotfix is good when we think what kind of game this is. I'm not playing this game because I want to drive against the clock and achieve the best lap time possible. I play Wreckfest because I want to drive against huge amount of other players on the same track same time. It's all about side by side driving and having fun. Maybe a little bit more challenge for wheel and pad drivers (I'm using DFGT) wouldn't be bad, but I really like the way how it is now.

duggy

the handling is ok for me as it is. my main grief is the rubber banding Im getting mainly in multiplayer although I do get a bit when in SP. the handbrake seems a bit too powerful as well. hope all this is fixed in the next hotfix

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Xtel said:
Janne Suur-Näkki said:
In the last update we made soem changes in the suspension setups (geometry, springs, dampers etc.) that of course had an effect on the handling, but not really by that much. However, the tyre in the latest updates is slightly more forgiving and it's easier to recover from fishtailing especially with the gamepad or a keyboard or when driving from a chase camera where you tend to be 'late' with the controller input. I can understand that because of the tyre changes some of the 'purity' was lost as there's not as much challenge as before. It would be very interesting to hear feedback from other players as well.

Thanks for the feedback regarding brakes, we'll check tomorrow.
That is the problem Janne. The latest hotfix took away that 'purity' that I learned to like in the last 14 days. I don't feel as challenged as I did before and I don't get enough feedback from your new car physics. I got on two days ago to play for an hour, didn't really have fun, and have absolutely no desire to play again. That sounds scary i know, but you guys needed to pick one, <arcade driving> or <more realistic driving that I saw two weeks ago>. Going back and forth between the two will not really do anything good. I understand that this game is still changing and I know you guys can make a great game in the end. So lets hope for the best.
I would say the majority of Wreckfest players are on the casual side, so if Bugbear wanted to please the most players, then handling in latest hotfix ( July 19 ) probably be the way to go. I'm a wheel player using no assists and if I had to choose between the more simy handling of the earlier July hotfixes or the easier handling ( after I retweak the steering sensitivity ), I would have to pick the current July 10 handling where when I turn my wheel, my car will actually turn into the corner. I can see softening up the brake a bit, right now I just need to tap the brakes before going into most turns.

I don't know if Bugbear can find a happy middle ground between simy handling and acrade handling that would please most players. We could give Bugbear some more time to see if they can find the right balance and if not, then maybe do like in Flatout 1 and have a Pro handling option and a Normal option. But then you talking about dividing the online community.

Big Ron said:
As it is now, it is still challenging enough, but more important, it is big fun in multiplayer since you can race with ALL people and not just with the simulation-ruling class with FFB-wheels being able to handle the car. It´s still a challenge to master the tracks and cars, but it´s not overly hardcore-hard and interrupting the gameplay.
it never was overly hardcore and there never was this "simulation-ruling class with FFB wheels". our best driver was and still is playing on a pad. also i always was competitive with keyboard.

it was just a bit more practise needed, why do so many people refuse to practise? practising is the actual fun because you visibly get better while driving with others online! beating your own lap times and beating these guys that always seemed too fast is much more fun than going easy around corners. a handling without work is a handling without a soul and without fun.

purple the problem on flatout1 professional handling is that it was not hard at all. ;D

DeadMeat

Weeked Smasher
rauli badding said:
Im my opinion the handling in the newest hotfix is good when we think what kind of game this is. I'm not playing this game because I want to drive against the clock and achieve the best lap time possible. I play Wreckfest because I want to drive against huge amount of other players on the same track same time. It's all about side by side driving and having fun. Maybe a little bit more challenge for wheel and pad drivers (I'm using DFGT) wouldn't be bad, but I really like the way how it is now.
I totally agree.

Iwasawa

Weeked Smasher
Could u do something with the pit manouveurs btw? I mean, its like impossible-to-not pit manoveur someone now. Even if i hit someone's side door, he starts to spin over, and i cant even avoid it, i mean, i usually dont like to pit manouveur the guys, we do clear races, but its hard to race clean, when the other gets spinned out on like every contact.

Big Ron

WorldofBay said:
Big Ron said:
As it is now, it is still challenging enough, but more important, it is big fun in multiplayer since you can race with ALL people and not just with the simulation-ruling class with FFB-wheels being able to handle the car. It´s still a challenge to master the tracks and cars, but it´s not overly hardcore-hard and interrupting the gameplay.
it never was overly hardcore and there never was this "simulation-ruling class with FFB wheels". our best driver was and still is playing on a pad. also i always was competitive with keyboard.

it was just a bit more practise needed, why do so many people refuse to practise? practising is the actual fun because you visibly get better while driving with others online! beating your own lap times and beating these guys that always seemed too fast is much more fun than going easy around corners. a handling without work is a handling without a soul and without fun.
I didn´t say it ever was overly hardcore or overly simulation-like. I´ve just made my point AGAINST IT developing into that direction like some people wish it to be. Nothing against practice and challenge, it is already needed and good to keep up the motivation. You already need to work when handling cars, my fingers never stand still. But the handling model shouldn´t devide people in several classes just for the sake of some wanting overly hard handling-model. This game isn´t just only a lap time-simulator. The challenge is to keep up with people and find your way through car fields. That´s a much more entertaining challenge than fighting your car and your lap times.

And by the way, even in Mario Kart you need to practice to learn how to drive and keep up with the best. That´s part of most racing games and not just a special feature of simulations.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
WorldofBay said:
purple the problem on flatout1 professional handling is that it was not hard at all. ;D
Was for me!! And my first every force feedback MOMO wheel I order the same day I pre-ordered Flatout after being hooked by the Flatout demo back in August 2005.

If I tried it today, I might be able to handle Pro handling now. I assume Flatout Pro handling is like racing with all assists off? But would the average racing gamer want handling even harder than Flatout Pro handling?

Might have to setup a new profile and give Flatout Pro handling a try this weekend.

Also in career mode you going be swap in better parts, so how does Bugbear handle the handling then? Do players start career with a junker car that handles badly, but after swaping in the right parts, car start to handle much better?

Purple44 said:
WorldofBay said:
Was for me!! And my first every force feedback MOMO wheel I order the same day I pre-ordered Flatout after being hooked by the Flatout demo back in August 2005.

If I tried it today, I might be able to handle Pro handling now. I assume Flatout Pro handling is like racing with all assists off? But would the average racing gamer want handling even harder than Flatout Pro handling?

Might have to setup a new profile and give Flatout Pro handling a try this weekend.
i just won finchley challenge on professional handling without using brakes or nitro.
took me some tries though, maybe i should not have bought that slidey thunderbolt in my professional handling profile...
at least it got race tyres (and no other upgrades)

as long as in wreckfest winning without braking is impossible even for the best drivers of the world that's ok. but to be really good the handling needs to be hard, remember we're not driving race cars here, we drive street cars with uncontrolled power using standard tyres at the moment.

jymstr

Weeked Smasher
Purple44 said:
I would say the majority of Wreckfest players are on the casual side, so if Bugbear wanted to please the most players, then handling in latest hotfix ( July 19 ) probably be the way to go. I'm a wheel player using no assists and if I had to choose between the more simy handling of the earlier July hotfixes or the easier handling ( after I retweak the steering sensitivity ), I would have to pick the current July 10 handling where when I turn my wheel, my car will actually turn into the corner. I can see softening up the brake a bit, right now I just need to tap the brakes before going into most turns.

I don't know if Bugbear can find a happy middle ground between simy handling and acrade handling that would please most players. We could give Bugbear some more time to see if they can find the right balance and if not, then maybe do like in Flatout 1 and have a Pro handling option and a Normal option. But then you talking about dividing the online community.
I also thought about that option.
Bugbear can't please everyone with the handling. Some want more sim, some more arcarde handling.