Hotfix (21/08/2018)

Frisker

Weeked Smasher
A "Racing" gamemode, where harsher penalties from cutting apply.

In normal mode, the way Wreckfest is "supposed" to be played, the game would work as it does now. But in "Racing" mode, there would be harsh penalties from driving on grass, sand outside track etc, such as making it extremely unstable to drive there. So if you drive off track, you are going to lose speed, no matter what, thus eliminating people who like to cut corners. Literally.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Frisker said:
A "Racing" gamemode, where harsher penalties from cutting apply.

In normal mode, the way Wreckfest is "supposed" to be played, the game would work as it does now. But in "Racing" mode, there would be harsh penalties from driving on grass, sand outside track etc, such as making it extremely unstable to drive there. So if you drive off track, you are going to lose speed, no matter what, thus eliminating people who like to cut corners. Literally.
For "racing" mode, would think Bugbear would have to use a new set of checkpoints. Put a checkpoint on every turn and put inside gate of checkpoint tight, so if large car get 4 wheels of the track, checkpoint is miss. But outside gate would still be wide, so if someone pushes you wide, you do not miss the checkpoint. You been penalize already.

But then how to handle the leaderbroad if have "Racing mode"? Normal Banger racing mode, players will be able to put down faster lap times. So would have be 2 leaderbroads? One for "Racing mode" and one for normal Banger racing mode?

Crash77

But really, since this is a more redneck and crazy racing game (as of late), why should there be any penalties for cutting corners?

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Crash77 said:
But really, since this is a more redneck and crazy racing game (as of late), why should there be any penalties for cutting corners?
Because of global lap time leader-board and track layouts.
Either everyone cuts or no one cuts for a fair/competitive racing environment, and if you allow it you run the risk of changing circuit dynamics.

i.e everyone cuts a chicane where a braking zone would be = less chance of action in that section

Heddly

FOJ Supporter/Modder
Team Bugbear Member
If you want "Racing" play a sim, Banger racing is redneck and you just take them out and follow the route. :)

Zebulon55

ZeBBy
Master Blaster
Bugbear should not have to tailor the tracks to support any specific group's rules, except to the extent that they choose to do so.

If particular server admins want to enforce specific rules, then a perma ban system should be enabled so that they can enforce their own rules by keeping clean servers free of cutters and any other lowlife deemed unfit for the server.

Or, they could password protect their servers. That's a provision that Bugbear included in the server software since day one.

Are we going in circles? ;D

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Zebulon55 said:
Bugbear should not have to tailor the tracks to support any specific group's rules, except to the extent that they choose to do so.

If particular server admins want to enforce specific rules, then a perma ban system should be enabled so that they can enforce their own rules by keeping clean servers free of cutters and any other lowlife deemed unfit for the server.

Or, they could password protect their servers. That's a provision that Bugbear included in the server software since day one.

This is true,but it doesn't fix the global leaderboard issue. I cant see why anyone would be against them tidying up the track checkpoints further. Other than if you were using those cuts to your advantage over other drivers.
If all you care about is plodding round in last place ramming people, shouldn't you support the suggestion of a concrete barrier (or similar) on every apex? it'd create more action.

Zebulon55

ZeBBy
Master Blaster
sam223 said:
Zebulon55 said:

This is true,but it doesn't fix the global leaderboard issue. I cant see why anyone would be against them tidying up the track checkpoints further. Other than if you were using those cuts to your advantage over other drivers.
Bugbear is welcome to tidy up checkpoints at their discretion. I was under the impression that they had made at least a couple of adjustment passes already.
Playing loose with the rules is a time-honored practice in American forms of racing; I assume it will continue as well in online Wreckfest.
Will the leaderboard ever be satisfactorily "fixed" without leaving something that someone will exploit for better times?
Will the arguing over leaderboard times ever end?
Can the game be made to enforce the rules even with no moderator?
Would a leaderboard perfect track be a more fun and a popular one?

It's also not just the #1 winners that make use of a cut. Sometimes you get bumped to the side of the track such that it's a choice of get stopped by the utility pole, or take the cut. I'd prefer to go around the pole and keep going without the red circle appearing.

sam223 said:
If all you care about is plodding round in last place ramming people, shouldn't you support the suggestion of a concrete barrier (or similar) on every apex? it'd create more action.
LOL.
Okay, so ya got me with the last place :-[ thing, but I'm not much into arbitrarily ramming people, and I'd definitely support ramps or something rough that makes the shortcut risky instead of tightening up some invisible lines that just create an out-of-bounds condition or barriers that just stop you dead.

I was on one of the clean servers for a couple of races last night, and the chat discussion was mostly about one of the drivers must not have read the server rules, he must be a new guy, etc.
I'm not sure what the problem was, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't anything I did. ::)

I'm not out to spoil anybody's fun, I more enjoy the rougher, trash talking, most anything goes lobbies. But that's just me. ;D

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
sam223 said:
Zebulon55 said:

But that can come back to bite you when got 3 cars going into turn! Inside car get put into barrier and is stop dead. Player on the out side may get bump wide and miss a checkpoint if Bugbear not careful. Always safest to be middle car if it 3 wide into corner!!

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
In Forza you can cut the track, draft and hit someone and the lap counts. But those laps get marked and are marked in the leaderboard with (!). Any clean lap will go over the (!) lap.

kennta340

Full time wrecker
St. Jimmy said:
In Forza you can cut the track, draft and hit someone and the lap counts. But those laps get marked and are marked in the leaderboard with (!). Any clean lap will go over the (!) lap.
A system like that is what we need, if you cut a corner the time will not get on the board.

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Purple44 said:
sam223 said:
Zebulon55 said:

But that can come back to bite you when got 3 cars going into turn! Inside car get put into barrier and is stop dead. Player on the out side may get bump wide and miss a checkpoint if Bugbear not careful. Always safest to be middle car if it 3 wide into corner!!
You are right purple,but i don't think anyone has a problem with people going off track or wide. Cutting parts of the track, i.e inside line/apex's seems to be the complaint.
If there's no advantage by cutting the track there's no problem.

BenDover said:
St. Jimmy said:
A system like that is what we need, if you cut a corner the time will not get on the board.
We found the solution ! That mean perfect lap (no cut) = no (!) in the leaderboard and fail lap/cheat = (!) in the leaderboard.
Then in the leaderboard you have 3 settings :
- best times without cutting the track which is a perfect lap = no (!)
- best times while cutting the track so with (!)
- Global = all lap times: perfect lap and failed/cutted lap (!)

For a perfect lap, the maximum should be 2 wheels off the track or you have a warning which say that your "perfect" lap is failed with a (!) or another symbol.
And everyone is happy.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Merhunes Dagon said:
BenDover said:
St. Jimmy said:
We found the solution ! That mean perfect lap (no cut) = no (!) in the leaderboard and fail lap/cheat = (!) in the leaderboard.

For a perfect lap, the maximum should be 2 wheels off the track or you have a warning which say that your "perfect" lap is failed with a (!) or another symbol.
And everyone is happy.
Yup that sound good. :)

But how easy would that be for Bugbear to code that into game? Would the Devs have to come up with a new "system" to handle this or add a third border to aisectors, if a wheel goes out side this "cheat border", lap don't count.

And would this mean another leaderbroad reset if Bugbear could do this? :( You going to piss off a lot of players with another leaderbroad reset so soon!!!

Maybe wait for Wreckfest 2?

kennta340

Full time wrecker
Merhunes Dagon said:
BenDover said:
St. Jimmy said:

And everyone is happy.
Should be that you cant "go off" the track to many times, like if you are able to have 2 wheels outside of the track in all corners ppl will abuse that, so like 2-3 times getting "off track" (2 wheels of the track) would be alright but not more than that. :)

@purple We gonna need reset of the leaderboard anyway due to cheated times. As long they dont fix an system for it or even ban the obv players to the leaderboard atm. I am not w8ting for an new game :p

I think we should take the game as it was thought ! Wreckfest, not racefest, the leaderboard .... do we really care, the goal of this game is to have fun. If you want to have your first place in a leaderboard with clean rules, just play Trackmania, or a sim game. The goal of Wreckfest is to have fun, wreck cars, and have impressive car crash, where car fly arround. I'd rather prefer that dev spend more time to physics, body deformations, or netcode, than, getting a good leaderboard !

kennta340

Full time wrecker
TheSpacebarRider said:
I think we should take the game as it was thought ! Wreckfest, not racefest, the leaderboard .... do we really care, the goal of this game is to have fun. If you want to have your first place in a leaderboard with clean rules, just play Trackmania, or a sim game. The goal of Wreckfest is to have fun, wreck cars, and have impressive car crash, where car fly arround. I'd rather prefer that dev spend more time to physics, body deformations, or netcode, than, getting a good leaderboard !
You new here right? You know that the dev have been working on the game to make it both for racing and for wrecking? And dont stare blind on the name of the game <.< You might not care but there is alot of others that do.

I never get this, I have never been against things that need to be fixed for the "wreckers players" but as soon I speak up about the racing side of the game ppl just gonna bash it and disrespect it? The goal on everygame are to have fun or is this a new thing?

Hoppen

Personally, what i'd like to see is replays attached to the top 100 times on the leaderboard, that way you can see exactly how the time was achieved.

kennta340

Full time wrecker
Hoppen said:
Personally, what i'd like to see is replays attached to the top 100 times on the leaderboard, that way you can see exactly how the time was achieved.
This!