How to modify AI Routes?

flonch

Hello,
How can one modify the track mini map which is displayed on screen during a race? I can't find any texture files other than the ones used in the menus, and there doesn't appear to be anything related in the texture folders of for a specific level type (i.e. data/art/levels/forest/textures/). Tried looking around in the example mod with bagedit but couldn't find anything there either. Not really sure what else to try.

Edit: Looks like the mini map is drawn from AI route data.

Last edited:

flonch

Sorry if I was unclear, but I'm trying to modify the mini map as in change the route itself, not change how much of it is shown. Interesting mod nonetheless, may need to subscribe to that one.

Is it possible to modify the 3 AIroute meshes purely in blender? I assumed I could simply select the meshes, then enter edit mode and extrude the leading edge for all of them to just "draw" the route while looking from above. I made sure to come back around and connect the route back to itself.
2020-12-13_16-34-03.gif

When I try to build the exported .bgo3 file, I get the following error:
Code:
Assert failed! ..\Library\blib\src\btoolcore\CreateAiData.cpp(244): "(numTri/2) == (numUnique/2 - 1 )" AI sector data is non continuous
Code:
Building Scene: c:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/wreckfest/data/art/levels/urban/urban08_1/urban08_1.bgo3
Validating verts for: #static_cube_map
Validating verts for: curb002
Validating verts for: curb003
Validating verts for: metalfence_40
Validating verts for: metalfence_41
Validating verts for: metcity_arrow_banner1
Validating verts for: pennant_urban08_24
Models:
- model: #static_cube_map (meshes: 1)
-- material: blue-route
-- vertices: 8
- model: curb002 (meshes: 1)
-- vertices: 1688
- model: curb003 (meshes: 1)
-- vertices: 1016
- model: metalfence_40 (meshes: 1)
-- vertices: 1459
- model: metalfence_41 (meshes: 1)
-- vertices: 2705
- model: metcity_arrow_banner1 (meshes: 1)
-- vertices: 170
- model: pennant_urban08_24 (meshes: 1)
-- vertices: 379
- Total Vertices: 7425

CommandLine: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Wreckfest\tools\bgeometry.exe"  -v -input "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\W
reckfest\data\art\levels\urban\urban08_1\urban08_1.bgo3" -output "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Wreckfest\data\art\levels\urban\urban0
8_1\urban08_1.scne"
Assert failed! ..\Library\blib\src\btoolcore\CreateAiData.cpp(244): "(numTri/2) == (numUnique/2 - 1 )" AI sector data is non continuous
Press any key to continue . . .
I'm not sure what to make of that error seeing as I just extruded the edges to effectively create segments. It seems to imply something is wrong with the geometry due to "numTri" being mentioned, but I'm not sure what "numUnique" would be referring to, sector count? I also checked to make sure all the vertices were connected for each mesh.

Could someone take a look at my .blend file and see if I'm missing something obvious? Since the .bgo3 does not build into a .scne, I cannot use bagedit to try and compare to stock AIroute data.

Last edited:

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Doing the AI routes ( safe and raceline ) with Blender, will have to ask Mazay and the guys over at Discord modding channel. If scroll up can see them talking about them in places.

Have Wreckfest Discord open, then click this link where the modders are talking about AI routes in Oct: https://discord.com/channels/330023066900103169/457342483635109888/765957500544745535

I use my set numbers for AI routes that give me plenty of room for me to adjust AI race line later on, when I start out when doing AI sectors, then come back and tweak them with Bagedit. Like the round abouts I do, or to keep the AI from getting to close to some rocks on my Cluballs Fig8 track

Mazay

You can "just" extrude the routes and it should work. Keep the inner routes longer than outer.
There should be not many gaps in routes, if there is, part of route is probably hidden in other file.
Check the track modding doc for 3dsmax and the list of errors.

To update .tcat and minimap, ingame tools open from some button button below esc / next to enter.
Saving the route tuning saves the .tcat file in somewhere in game folder and you have probably copypaste it to your own mod.

Routes are really picky and the worst part of making tracks. They usually just dont work.
Good luck lol

flonch

You can "just" extrude the routes and it should work.
Just got it to work :D looks like I was messing up the part where I reconnect the extruded path back to the rest of the mesh, silly mistake.

To update .tcat and minimap, ingame tools open from some button button below esc / next to enter.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the rendered mini map automatically updated by changing the AI routes (presumably #ai_route_main)?
I'm not sure I have a need for it now, but I wasn't able to access these ingame tools you are referencing. The key below Esc is backquote/tilde (` and ~), while the key below Enter is shif and, key above is backslash/pipe (\ and |).

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
From my guide:

There one other thing you need to do to get alt routes to work, need to save the alt aisectors to your tcat file using the in-game tool:

To bring up the AI route tool, use the ~ key or for me, I had to use the \ key.

Need to enable sector view, then adjust race line. You need to look around and fine the blinking icon on one of the AI sector lines. You can use the I and K keys to move the blinking icon to the AI sector you want to adjust. Using the J and L keys you can move the race line. But you have to tap the key.

So after moving the blinking circle a bit to the left or right, hit the T key, will save your changes to a tcat file. Doing the save will also add any alt routes you have.

Also use this tool to adjust the AI race line if you want the AI to race your track better. I go free cam and watch how the AI are taking the turns, see if I need do some tweaking. May also need to adjust the Safe and Raceline borders if AI coming in to deep in a turn.

Mazay

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the rendered mini map automatically updated by changing the AI routes (presumably #ai_route_main)?
The tcat file is used for minimap and routes are copied into that file when you save route adjustment like purple show above ^
Try through all keys, to find the magic key. The tools also open on mod tracks downloaded from workshop.