Multiplayer Server Port

Mazay

Member
HardcoreSHIFT said:
Guys, is it necessary to have static IP from your provider, like, external IP or whatever..? I ve set static IP, i ve opened those ports and even with firewall shut down they are unreachable... I ve spent many hours trying to figure it out but still the same result.
Static IP is not needed. External IP with ports accessible from internet is needed.
Usual problem is NAT (network address translation). NAT's idea is that one address is shared with multiple computers. Iex. mail arrives to bugbear office box number 10. Mail forwarding rule is needed to further reach correct desk of coder.

Usually the NAT is created in home router. (home have shared IP) ...and can be port forwarded to work with wreckfest. Are you sure you forwarded ports in router settings?
Sometimes NAT is in operator level (neighbours have shared IP) In that case servers wont usually work. That's case for my mobile data and school for example.
 

Purple44

Well-Known Member
Team Bugbear Member
Is your gaming computer behind a router with other computers?

My 3 computers are assign custom IP addresses, then when I port forward a port, the port is forward to the custom IP address assign to my gaming computer.
 

CrySpy

New Member
Team Bugbear Member
HardcoreSHIFT said:
Guys, is it necessary to have static IP from your provider, like, external IP or whatever..? I ve set static IP, i ve opened those ports and even with firewall shut down they are unreachable... I ve spent many hours trying to figure it out but still the same result.
The most common error is that the IP that is forwarded to, that is the server, is set to be the external IP. The server IP in port forwarding is supposed to be the local IP of the server. Otherwise troubleshooting without knowing your exact settings will be just guessing.
 

HardcoreSHIFT

New Member
WorldofBay said:
normally no you don't need static ip. you need the ip to not change while server is up but afterwards or previous doesn't matter. if you put up a dedicated server you need static ip, for simple multiplayer host you normally don't.
is you computer reachable for other connections via ip? so for programs other than wreckfest?
Well, i have no problems using torrents for example..

It s pretty simple here: Socket -> modem -> my PC.. modem s adress is 10.0.0.138, I ve set my PC to 10.0.0.167 and set rules to forward to this adress..

It was driving me mad so i decided to call my ISP (again).. That time I was told that my portforwarding was done right however my adress "range" is not public.. ergo ports not visible. I was told to try visiting them personally with modem so maybe they could "do" something with it.. anyway thank you guys for help..
 

Purple44

Well-Known Member
Team Bugbear Member
Hmm, with Charter cable I have public IP that is shown to the internet. Everybody in my neighborhood has the same public IP I believe.

If your ISP does not have a public IP address, nobody can see your host online.

Try this simple test I just found at Google, paste "see public IP address" in Google window. When I did that I got this:

66.189.194.95
Your public IP address
 

Mazay

Member
Purple44 said:
Hmm, with Charter cable I have public IP that is shown to the internet. Everybody in my neighborhood has the same public IP I believe.

If your ISP does not have a public IP address, nobody can see your host online.
This is bit confusing. Every internet connection always have some kind of public IP. Every public IP can have only one wreckfest server. (with default ports) If IP is shared with neighbourhood, only one of neighbours can have WF server. Or not any at all. This depends on if ISP can do port forwarding for you. (or UPNP works)

It might be correct to say that you don't have public IP (It's not dedicated to your machine alone)
 

MamieNova

"Oh no he didn't!"


A - this represents your internet service as a whole. Your provider does not care if you have one computer or more. As far as he's concerned, you have ONE internet IP address, and that's the one WF will show in the "find server" tab. this is your "external IP". This is the IP that all of your computers officially use on internet.

In order for you to connect multiple devices to the internet via your Internet Service, you use a router device (usually it's also your modem)

B - 192.168.X.X IPs are always used in local networks, it's a standard. As such, you can almost always expect your router device to be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.255 when you install it for the first time. (sometimes it's 192.168.1.x). you get the drift.

C- Connections will arrive from the internet: the players who want to join your server. So you open a port on address A (don't forget to add an exception to your firewall at the same time) and your router will ask for a destination device.
So you open port 27065 (If I'm not mistaken that's the steam one, check it up, I'm lazy =D) both in TCP/UDP protocols and direct it to (B) 192.168.0.3 because that's the computer that will run your WF server.
This port forwarding (some routers call it "virtual servers" too) is represented by C on the picture.

In conclusion : you only need 2 or 3 things to do this :

1- Your computer local ip (192.168.x.x) and you should learn how to prevent from changing at next reboot (google : "set up static ip windows")
2- Access your router configuration (see user manual) and look for port forwarding or virtual servers
3- Don't forget : Antivirus or firewalls will try to block incoming connections if you don't tell them otherwise.

You can use a program called "simple port tester" to verify your settings (you simply tell the program which ports to check and their website will try to send stuff on these ports. Do that BEFORE creating your WF server)
 

Purple44

Well-Known Member
Team Bugbear Member
Mazay said:
Purple44 said:
Hmm, with Charter cable I have public IP that is shown to the internet. Everybody in my neighborhood has the same public IP I believe.

If your ISP does not have a public IP address, nobody can see your host online.
This is bit confusing. Every internet connection always have some kind of public IP. Every public IP can have only one wreckfest server. If IP is shared with neighbourhood, only one of neighbours can have WF server. Or not any at all. This depends on if ISP can do port forwarding for you. (or UPNP works)

It might be correct to say that you don't have public IP (It's not dedicated to your machine alone)
"Every public IP can have only one Wreckfest server."

But do we know this is absolutely true? Or as long as there not 2 computers using the same custom IP behind the public IP, there can be 2 Wreckfest host at public IP address: 66.189.194.95?

I can not test this since don't know anybody near by that has Wreckfest.

While typing this post, I did a Google search and found this:


What are Public IP Addresses?

A public IP address is assigned to every computer that connects to the Internet where each IP is unique. In this case, there cannot exist two computers with the same public IP address all over the Internet. This addressing scheme makes it possible for the computers to “find each other” online and exchange information. User has no control over the IP address (public) that is assigned to the computer. The public IP address is assigned to the computer by the Internet Service Provider as soon as the computer is connected to the Internet gateway.

A public IP address can be either static or dynamic. A static public IP address does not change and is used primarily for hosting web pages or services on the Internet. On the other hand, a dynamic public IP address is chosen from a pool of available addresses and changes each time one connects to the Internet.

Most Internet users will only have a dynamic IP assigned to their computer which goes off when the computer is disconnected from the Internet. Thus when it is re-connected it gets a new IP.

You can check your public IP address by visiting www.whatismyip.com



It seem I'm wrong, according to this article, every modem connected to internet get it own public IP address. I do know my Public IP address does not change. That how I got ban from Codemasters forum a few years back when the game FUEL got release. I had to use a proxy service ( gave my connection a different public IP address ) to read FUEL forum again until I got unbanned.
 

Lurchi

New Member
Wasn't able to host a server after the update, until I found this in the dedicated server config:

steam_port=27015
game_port=33540
query_port=27016

27016 was added in build #7.
 

Purple44

Well-Known Member
Team Bugbear Member
Lurchi said:
Wasn't able to host a server after the update, until I found this in the dedicated server config:

steam_port=27015
game_port=33540
query_port=27016

27016 was added in build #7.

Be warned that the 27016 port is used by Wreckfest dedicated server software too. I gave the new server software some testing this last week on my second computer and then when I went to host Wreckfest the old way on my gaming computer, my host did not show up in the host list since port 2016 was being forward to my second computer, not gaming computer.

Had to redo the port forwarding of 2016 to my gaming computer. My router won't let me forward port 2016 to both computers at the same time.
 

Mazay

Member
Purple44 said:
"Every public IP can have only one Wreckfest server."

But do we know this is absolutely true? Or as long as there not 2 computers using the same custom IP behind the public IP, there can be 2 Wreckfest host at public IP address: 66.189.194.95?
Absolutely true in this form:
"Every public IP can have only one Wreckfest server in single port" (with default ports iex.)

Previously I made an assumption that wreckfest server is always in same port.
This is no longer true as with new update ports can be changed in configuration.

If you want to host on multiple computers behind the same IP (Home network iex.) it's a must to make both servers use different ports and port forward them separately.
 

Purple44

Well-Known Member
Team Bugbear Member
Mazay said:
Purple44 said:
"Every public IP can have only one Wreckfest server."

But do we know this is absolutely true? Or as long as there not 2 computers using the same custom IP behind the public IP, there can be 2 Wreckfest host at public IP address: 66.189.194.95?
Absolutely true in this form:
"Every public IP can have only one Wreckfest server in single port" (with default ports iex.)

Previously I made an assumption that wreckfest server is always in same port.
This is no longer true as with new update ports can be changed in configuration.

If you want to host on multiple computers behind the same IP (Home network iex.) it's a must to make both servers use different ports and port forward them separately.
I did try changing port 2016 to 2017 in config file for dedicated server software and forward this port to second computer, but then my server did not show up in host list, had to change it back to 27016.

steam_port=27015
game_port=33540
query_port=27017

Unless this has change in Tuesday hotfix?
 

Purple44

Well-Known Member
Team Bugbear Member
CFodder said:
You have to change the Steam and Game ports as well and forward those.
I did not have to forward these 2 ports in my router:

steam_port=27015
game_port=33540


I just needed query_port=27016 ported to the right computer, to my second computer to host dedicated server software or to my gaming computer to host a regular player host.

But I don't use any firewall software, only the firewall in the router.

The 27016 port is the only port I have had to forward for Wreckfest and I did not have to port 27016 to gaming computer until Build #7 came out.
 

Miikel

Name in game:MusicMan
EDIT:
I think I see the prob with no one joining my rooms since the last 2 or 3 patches.
are my numbers correct?
20715-20716 UDP/TDP and 33530 UDP?

Used that program "Simple Port Tester" its showing them all open. (20715,20716 tdp/udp and 33530 udp)<---------------------------lol 0 not a 7?

Open in windows/Norton(tried enabled and disabled) and Comcast Modem side.
 

Purple44

Well-Known Member
Team Bugbear Member
Miikel said:
EDIT:
I think I see the prob with no one joining my rooms since the last 2 or 3 patches.
are my numbers correct?
20715-20716 UDP/TDP and 33530 UDP?

Used that program "Simple Port Tester" its showing them all open. (20715,20716 tdp/udp and 33530 udp)<---------------------------lol 0 not a 7?

Open in windows/Norton(tried enabled and disabled) and Comcast Modem side.
Should be 27015, 27016. Your 7 in the wrong spot.
 

Miikel

Name in game:MusicMan
Purple44 said:
Miikel said:
EDIT:
I think I see the prob with no one joining my rooms since the last 2 or 3 patches.
are my numbers correct?
20715-20716 UDP/TDP and 33530 UDP?

Used that program "Simple Port Tester" its showing them all open. (20715,20716 tdp/udp and 33530 udp)<---------------------------lol 0 not a 7?

Open in windows/Norton(tried enabled and disabled) and Comcast Modem side.
Should be 27015, 27016. Your 7 in the wrong spot.
Thnx that did it, woking perfectly and people are joining.
Games running great for me offline and online. Loving it!
 

WRECKFIX

New Member
xcunakx said:
I have set up port forwarding in my router settings, using those port numbers, but still, nobody can see my created server. What else do I need to set up? Thank you! :)


listen carefully it shows you how to modify the IP address eg my start IP is 111.222.1.1 my end IP is 111.222.1.150 I'm sure u need to modify your server to an IP address in between those two start and finish IP addresses. notice he adds a "o" to his exiting ones so they aren't the same.{ALSO HIS CHANGE IS HIGHER THAN THE GATEWAY ADDRESS,WHICH HE SHOWS YOU HOW TO FIND THE USING IPCONFIG) I found those two IP start and finish in the LAN section hope this helps, cos its been a while but it sounds like you have done it all.(silly question but did you check to enable everything as you go, rules and ports etc ) Rules being in the firewall I was referring to, inbound and about rules,i set mine up from that vid a year ago, but now I have read there are three ports .the IP address you change is the 1 that is showing where you setup up your ports in the router.not the addresses that show start and finish addresses
 

WRECKFIX

New Member
Purple44 said:
Miikel said:
EDIT:
I think I see the prob with no one joining my rooms since the last 2 or 3 patches.
are my numbers correct?
20715-20716 UDP/TDP and 33530 UDP?

Used that program "Simple Port Tester" its showing them all open. (20715,20716 tdp/udp and 33530 udp)<---------------------------lol 0 not a 7?

Open in windows/Norton(tried enabled and disabled) and Comcast Modem side.
Should be 27015, 27016. Your 7 in the wrong spot.
why do some people use 33530 and others 33540,is that just flexibility with the ports?
 

WRECKFIX

New Member
Surfer said:
Listen guys I have no idea how to make this, I have my ports open and I tried all of these numbers. If someone could make a video or even just really good steps this would help out a lot. Thanks
when you say open, do you mean in the router as a virtual server or the inbound and outbound "open port rules" access thru advanced settings where the firewall page is
,you need to do both as far as I am aware or the port wont open and there will be no virtual server to host from Accessed from command prompt then type ipconfig to get the gateway for your router paste the gateway into your browser you will need to use a password to access -admin as name,- admin as password is default (unless changed) on my router maybe check your's as unsure,just reset the router if you cant get in,resets it to default
the virtual server needs an IP address that is in between your start and finish IP's not the gateway IP

 
Top