Update #5 2014-07-03

Motoko Kusanagi

Master Blaster
H-here my feedback.
I like the new graphic engine as well, it's very beautifull. Good job guys :3 And now I can run the map Gravel on 50fps instead of 15 fps :3 GG ! It's feel good.
Driving is pefect for me with my personnal settings, so keep going !
I like the new sandpit map. In negative points, I see nothing for the moment.

Nice work BugBear !

Axarator

I test games, I make games, I mod games and play
Weeked Smasher
This is a good update but unfortunately the first update causing my frame rate to drop. On the bright side fortunately the first update causing extreme enjoyment and satisfaction, thanks BugBear and the team for this awesome update.

Thank you, BugBear for the update that we've all been waiting for!

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
Axarator said:
This is a good update but unfortunately the first update causing my frame rate to drop.
Yeah, we know this happens to some people, and I can't say why, as others run the game just fine. All I can say is we're looking into it. In the meantime, try checking different graphics settings (especially lower shadows and VSync off) and closing the programs from the background -- it might help, but it also might not, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

MaLDo

Jori Virtanen said:
Axarator said:
This is a good update but unfortunately the first update causing my frame rate to drop.
Yeah, we know this happens to some people, and I can't say why, as others run the game just fine. All I can say is we're looking into it. In the meantime, try checking different graphics settings (especially lower shadows and VSync off) and closing the programs from the background -- it might help, but it also might not, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Hi Jori, I did a few test about this problem in the weekend.

In my case the performance problem is not related with shadows. Disabling shadows my framerate is too high to see the problem, but that's because the framerate is far beyond 60 fps so I can't see the problem.

Using medium or high shadows, the problem is the same. Sometimes in starting grid or in a few curves of gravel track, the framerate goes from 60 fps to 45-52 fps producing a lot of stutters. The reduced framerate is exactly the same using high shadows than medium. Really strange.

The problem never occurs in the camera travel before the race. The problem occurs in lower resolution too, so I think is a problem related with cpu. I can avoid the problem racing with only 13 cars.

Taxidriver

Full time wrecker
Wonderful update!

In the name of all adorers of rock we thank Bugbear for the return!
This has several times on Sandpit unpredictable and more excitingly (and malicious pleasure or frustration :D) made when we has fight in the multiplayer (LAN over Internet)! 8)

SkinnierSteve

Gamer and Youtuber.
Excellent update guys! I love the epic new damage model, and the epic new track and the other improvements! Although I'm not such a big fan of the contact timer. Also, the game's performance has gotten worse. But I know you will fix the performance! Keep up the great work guys!

Shivaxi

Weeked Smasher
Hey, I just wanted to thank you guys so much for adding my requested feature of the radiator white smoke when your engine is close to death like in Destruction Derby 1 & 2. If you didn't add that because of my suggestion, well thank you anyway! =D Small but awesome feature that I loved from the old Destruction Derby games, so you know who you can try to take out. Makes racing really fun ^^ Perhaps add a points feature for taking out cars or spinning them out / damaging them like in the original Destruction Derby too? I mean in the races too, not just the derby bowls of course. Just an idea. Keep up the awesome work guys!

Shivaxi said:
Perhaps add a points feature for taking out cars or spinning them out / damaging them like in the original Destruction Derby too? I mean in the races too, not just the derby bowls of course. Just an idea. Keep up the awesome work guys!
We kind of have it something similar already, the points are just not displayed anywhere yet, but you should see small messages on top of the HUD damage indicator when you e.g. hit a good T-bone.

kamikave

Full time wrecker
Tapio Vierros said:
We kind of have it something similar already, the points are just not displayed anywhere yet, but you should see small messages on top of the HUD damage indicator when you e.g. hit a good T-bone.
You know, the fun in DD 1 was not just to spin your ennemies, it was the very satisfacting "360°" spinning on the screen, espacially when you do a double 360°. That is still priceless ! I've never had more fun on a racing game than on these moments. A small message is not satisfying in my opinion. If you do it, do it big ! Enjoyable ! Or At least, give us the choice through an option.

Bobby Koticks

Weeked Smasher
After it's been a while, I still must that the sun is just too bright making everything look too washed out. When graphics are cranked to the max, with all the shadows, visuals appear more contrast-y, so it's not that bad then, but I can only play with everything more or less medium with my not-so-recent GPU :-\

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
Iwasawa said:
What will be in the next update btw?
Shh! It's a sekret! :p

Nah, we're just not there yet. After just getting back from holidays, we're really just mapping what we want to do next, and then plan to go from there. This translates to that old line you've probably heard before: "General performance fixes, bug patches, resolved issues" :) But yeah, we'll tell you when we ourselves know.

TURST67

I hope that we will get the handling (re-re-re-re)fixed again ! Because I want to play so bad, but I really can't stand the steering, especially after having so much fun with the previous steering, when it was possible to do long drifts and keep the car on the trajectory, without spining or going out of the track.

But I'm in no hurry, I know that we will get a great game, soon or later :p

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
TURST67 said:
I hope that we will get the handling (re-re-re-re)fixed again ! Because I want to play so bad, but I really can't stand the steering, especially after having so much fun with the previous steering, when it was possible to do long drifts and keep the car on the trajectory, without spining or going out of the track.

What controller are you using? KB, pad or wheel?

TURST67

Purple44 said:
TURST67 said:

What controller are you using? KB, pad or wheel?
I'm using a PS3 pad, identical to a 360 controller. I tried both controllers on few other games, they both work identically.

On the previous update, when the handling was bad (but got fixed later), the pad handling was slow (steering and countersteering) while it was much faster on a keyboard (and a lot more playable).
Few weeks later the handling got fixed and afterwards the steering was good with a pad again.

But, since this newest update, the handling is back to its bad state like it was before, even with the hotfix, and both with a keyboard or gamepad.

That's why I'm waiting for a new update to be able to play again, because the steering is way too slow, even after spending several minutes in the settings, or trying on various tracks/surfaces.

kamikave

Full time wrecker
Ok, let's get things strait.
I haven't played the game in a long time, but I remember that somewhere along the way you said that controls had to be rebinded. And I did. Then came another update, but this time you didn't say anything about a controls reset. I'm getting tired of rebinding my keyboard everytime. So either you properly mention it, or you enable Steam Cloud or whatever tool is usefull for this kind of stuff. I have hundred of games, I can't be bothered by this kind of bother everytime a developper decides to change things !! Please, think about it.

Iwasawa

Weeked Smasher
BTW do you have problems with the AI driving too? I think only the first and second laps are good, the other ones are just boring.. all the ai is going on the same line and dont have any personality and dont really do any mistake.
Also the AI is so incredibly slow, i can overtake 5-6 AI-s in a straight part of the map because they just dont go faster than a certain speed.. Also they are not really drifting in corners or anything they are just.... driving like AI.
They could be much more crazier, i know ppl in real races dont make huge mistakes always but its a game and AI could be more crazy..

H

hande11

TURST67 said:
Since you mentioned drifting.. i was very negative with keyboard play first in latest build in every aspect, but found out from other forum members advice that switching big block engine to American car with Rally suspension was quite nice while doing drifting style of driving in Gravel track. Ok with Sandpit too. Had Stability aid either half or full. Then driving using throttle sparingly on spin danger zones (excluding "powerslide" compatible turns). Just a small hint to try, if you by any chance did not yet try that combination for drifting style of driving (although maybe you tried that setup already too..) In tarmac one can try the same setup, but using Race suspension (not so happy yet with tarmac driving in general here..).
(BB will re-adjust driving physics for sure and good to bring here on forum any positive and negative findings / opinions with as much details as possible.)