Week #15 Report

loater

A mode "two players on one screen" will be? And most importantly - when all this happiness comes down to the players? :-\

BenDover said:
BB devs, if Dedicated servers will come, then a permanent ban system will come in place too? :p
Surely you can't want to have people permanently banned from public servers too? You host a good server yourself, you get plenty of people racing there, you don't need to have people banned from the public servers too!

Maybe you could have their computers confiscated and internet access cut off just to make sure?!

Thanks BugBear for public servers - but maybe a vote kick system with a 'no return for x hours after being banned' order would be enough? I personally don't have nearly a good enough internet connection to host games myself but that doesn't mean I feel the need to 'take ownership' of a public server. It's just a computer game. I'm happy to take the rough with the smooth.

B

BrianUK

presuming ed said:
BenDover said:
BB devs, if Dedicated servers will come, then a permanent ban system will come in place too? :p
Surely you can't want to have people permanently banned from public servers too? You host a good server yourself, you get plenty of people racing there, you don't need to have people banned from the public servers too!

Maybe you could have their computers confiscated and internet access cut off just to make sure?!

Thanks BugBear for public servers - but maybe a vote kick system with a 'no return for x hours after being banned' order would be enough? I personally don't have nearly a good enough internet connection to host games myself but that doesn't mean I feel the need to 'take ownership' of a public server. It's just a computer game. I'm happy to take the rough with the smooth.
If players run the servers, then permanent bans would be a required server admin function. It's not like a Punkbuster ban where the ban applies to all servers streaming it. I've taken more than my fair share of rough in my time gaming, now I'm after a bit of smooth.

kennta340

Full time wrecker
presuming ed said:
BenDover said:

I ofc mean on my own server becuse I really hope I can host a dedicated server with admin support :) Like "/ban 03 60" Ban the player "03" for 60 minutes. "/ban 03 perm" - yeah you know how I mean :) I should really like if I can give some ppl "admin" so if I am not online, they can handle the server from inside with kick/bans/map change etc :)

MRT

And again a lot of talk about making a simulator game, DONT CARE JUST MAKE SOMETHING THAT WORKS, dont spend years on making something we dont need. Its arcade racing at least thats how you guys sold it a year ago, now days we just talk about another 12 settings on tires and suspension instead of giving a release date.

Your time is up make some progres that people can notice

Mazay

Team Bugbear said:
Dedicated servers will make their way to Wreckfest!
The way I understood this is that there will be software to host your own dedicated server.
And not yet promises about public bugbear hosted servers.
I assume bugbear would mention if they are going to host servers.
Perhaps someone from bugbear could clarify this.

ps. please make chat lobby stay online even if host disappears.

BrianUK said:
If players run the servers, then permanent bans would be a required server admin function. It's not like a Punkbuster ban where the ban applies to all servers streaming it. I've taken more than my fair share of rough in my time gaming, now I'm after a bit of smooth.
Well first of all I've realised I'm jumping the gun a bit here. I'll try not to read too much into what's been announced - the facility to run dedicated servers. Perhaps I should not assume from this that BugBear will provide public dedicated servers - the intention may just be that this provides the opportunity for individuals to set up dedicated servers should they wish to.

But if we're talking public dedicated servers, and individuals were to be given the opportunity to run one of those servers, then they would only be running that server for a session - the period of time from when they started playing to when they stopped. When they stopped, someone else might want to take over operation of that server.

Therefore the maximum time a ban for a player from a server could last for would be the amount of time the 'owner' was online and running that lobby. Once they leave, someone else, with a more liberal approach may take over, and be happy to welcome back any players banned by the previous host.

All this chat leads me to think that although the introduction of dedicated servers is a positive, if Bugbear are to offer public ones (and that is an if), it would be much simpler to just provide public, democratic, peer driven ones. Even for everyone. To start facilitating temporary owners, permanent session-only bans, transfer of ownership and the like would add complexity and start sucking up development time.

There are more important things that I'd like to see devs focussing on than managing who runs what, who bans who and for how long.

Rabbit80

presuming ed said:
BrianUK said:
Well first of all I've realised I'm jumping the gun a bit here. I'll try not to read too much into what's been announced - the facility to run dedicated servers. Perhaps I should not assume from this that BugBear will provide public dedicated servers - the intention may just be that this provides the opportunity for individuals to set up dedicated servers should they wish to.

But if we're talking public dedicated servers, and individuals were to be given the opportunity to run one of those servers, then they would only be running that server for a session - the period of time from when they started playing to when they stopped. When they stopped, someone else might want to take over operation of that server.

Therefore the maximum time a ban for a player from a server could last for would be the amount of time the 'owner' was online and running that lobby. Once they leave, someone else, with a more liberal approach may take over, and be happy to welcome back any players banned by the previous host.

All this chat leads me to think that although the introduction of dedicated servers is a positive, if Bugbear are to offer public ones (and that is an if), it would be much simpler to just provide public, democratic, peer driven ones. Even for everyone. To start facilitating temporary owners, permanent session-only bans, transfer of ownership and the like would add complexity and start sucking up development time.

There are more important things that I'd like to see devs focussing on than managing who runs what, who bans who and for how long.
Depending upon CPU usage and Linux support, I have a few servers with gigabit connections that I could leave running 24/7.

Iwasawa

Weeked Smasher
Nice to hear about dedicated servers. How will they work? I mean... vote to next map or mode, or having a mapcycle? Can we host dedicated servers too?

M

Mopower

I sure do hope that that dirt derby track comes in the next update. stadium this, stadium that

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale
Weeked Smasher
So, as someone with a lower-end laptop, how with this new build and physics affect performance/framerate? With everything turned down to low while running at 1366x768, I average about 30-40 fps with 15 AI on-track. Obviously this dips into the 20's depending on the track itself and how much carnage there is...

Callahan420

Full time wrecker
Great to see a new update. Can't wait for team racing. I hope the backwards track driving is optional and is not disabled during team races. I am going to guess the reset car is optional by host as well.

Great update and nice to hear about the dedicated servers. If players get to run a dedicated server there should be a time limit as you will end up with certain people taking over the servers and only allowing friends in. Hopefully Bugbear will be in charge of those servers and not users.

Also a graphic upgrade will be nice as I just ordered a GTX 960 4GB card. :)

Keep up the good work BB!

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
Mazay said:
The way I understood this is that there will be software to host your own dedicated server.
And not yet promises about public bugbear hosted servers.
Yeah, that's the plan. We won't set up servers of our own, but will let others set up theirs.

BenDover said:
That, too, is the plan :)

dbs213 said:
Should I be expecting handling from the FlatOut Prototype and FO1, where cars feel slippery on dirt? Or is it going to be something different?
Something different. There's just so many variables in play here that it's bound to be more robust than any of our previous games, which means you'll have to learn the intricacies of each car and track.

loater said:
A mode "two players on one screen" will be? And most importantly - when all this happiness comes down to the players? :-\
Split screen is one of those items that keep popping up every now and then. We'll look into it for sure later on.
As for build launch ETA, can't say, because we don't know ourselves. As soon as it locks into place is the best estimate I can give you.

Iwasawa said:
Nice to hear about dedicated servers. How will they work? I mean... vote to next map or mode, or having a mapcycle? Can we host dedicated servers too?
I'll go over this whole thing later on, when we have e.g. an UI in place. Now, we don't even have a command line confirmation when you activate a dedicated server, it's that early in the development cycle :D

Mopower said:
I sure do hope that that dirt derby track comes in the next update. stadium this, stadium that
Nope, not in the next build, sorry.

SynGamer said:
So, as someone with a lower-end laptop, how with this new build and physics affect performance/framerate?
That depends and varies. I'm not jesting, that really depends. The game's not been optimized much which means that every change we make either makes the situation worse or better as far as frame rate goes. Once we enter proper alpha, meaning all features are in place, we can start optimizing the code, and that's when the requirements will certainly go down. But before that? It's anyone's guess, really. Odds are, though, that it'll get worse before it'll get better, sorry to say.

kennta340

Full time wrecker
Thanks for the answe Jori ! :) I understand dedicated servers is really in its "alpha stage" to but got some questions :p

1. Can I promote players to admin via steam ID ? Like a file in the dedicated map I can put in the steam ID easy and simple ?

2. That you may know, I got a own "blacklist" for my server, how will the permanent bans work? Will it ban the steam ID there too? If so, can I add the ppl I have already on my blacklist? Just copy and paste?

3. A follow up question from nr 2. If ban someone I should not ban, will it be like a unban command like "/pardon" and unban the last banned player ? And if I banned someone permanent, and if I want to unban someone from that list, how should that work fast and easy?

4. When you banning ppl how will it work? like "/ban 03 60" (banning player number 03 for 60 minutes), "/ban 03 perm" (Banning player 03 permanent). To be clear, the player 03 was Brian :3

I understand if you dont know much about this now, but thats why I asking this too becuse then you might be able to fix something like that, I dont know :p But this is maybe something you are already asking yourselfs ? :)

Iwasawa

Weeked Smasher
Please dont release the update in the next week because if GTA5 wont suck and wreckfest will be released i wont sleep...

longtimeago

"When in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
Iwasawa said:
Please dont release the update in the next week because if GTA5 wont suck and wreckfest will be released i wont sleep...
I'm also like "What if they release it this week?!" currently... Because GTA 5, Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen, Dirt 3: Complete and still need to find time for chatting with girlfriend, friends and going to the gym 2 times a week. I'm thinking of spending less time for the gym, hahaha.

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Iwasawa said:
Is gta5 any different than the version they released almost 2 years ago? Or just the same game with first person view option and the bits they promised for the original release finally in game?
I only played through it once originally, didn't rate the driving at all so didn't revisit for mayhem causing

kennta340

Full time wrecker
sam223 said:
Iwasawa said:
Is gta5 any different than the version they released almost 2 years ago? Or just the same game with first person view option and the bits they promised for the original release finally in game?
I only played through it once originally, didn't rate the driving at all so didn't revisit for mayhem causing
1st person view, 200% better grafic, otherwhise I think its the same game ^_^ Just Rockstars who hype it abit too much so PC user should forget it took 2 years for the PC version to come out after console games ^^

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
I read a review (by an online magazine) today that said the graphics are beautiful, really sharp textures and much better view into the distance. The core game is probbly pretty much the same i guess. But hey... it is a good game ;)