Week #16 Report

T

Team Bugbear

Hey there!

This blog post is all about the physics update. In short, we’re still wrestling with it.

We sincerely apologize for the delay – we did correctly estimate how long it would take to make the building blocks to get the first 90% of the update ready, but those final ten percent have proven to be quite difficult to lock into place. Before that final magic happens, we cannot launch the next build, as the cars wouldn’t behave properly. In fact, not even close: they’d fly all over the place, or topple over in the first corner, or do the bouncy-bouncy in true lowrider style. If we would release a build like that, Wreckfest would be completely unplayable, and that would be worse than anything. So, we’ll have to stick to it and keep working.

Why is it so difficult to get the final pieces together, then? Well, the physics update is a quagmire of variables. Every value we change affects everything else, so it’s as much about trial and error as it is about knowing what to do. This is why we can’t give an estimated time of arrival – it might be a week, it might be a month. We’re truly sorry that we can’t be more specific than that.

To showcase how the cars behave, here’s a handful of B-reel screenshots. Note that the last three are all taken in the first 50 meters of the race. That should give you an idea how truly broken it can get when you try to find the right physics values :)
(Of course, it’s very rarely that bad even when we try something drastic, so don’t worry, we’re showing these pics just because they’re funny, not because they represent the actual state of the game.)

LUNITIC_WILL

Full time wrecker
it's a shame that you put everything together in this build instead of having the physics being a seperate part until they are done. next time, make sure not to combine the physics with the rest of the build until they are done

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
chuckskyline said:
is it just me..

but do the graphics look horrid in those screen shots?
They do, because the graphics settings is usually low when we do internal testing. It's not that important in fun pics like these to be on your best behavior :)

Thanks for the update. It's hard to believe that English is not your first language, you seem to find it so natural and are very creative with it. Quagmire of variables. Love it.

NeoGreendawg

I may be wrong but I seem to remember a recent post by one of the devs about how for the first time in a while the game's cars were starting to become both drivable and fun...
If I'm not mistaken, I would assume that things have moved on quite a bit from when the screenshots were taken.
The "it might be a week, it might be a month" guesstimate is great news. I wasn't expecting anything so soon. Hopefully it will bring back some of the people who have moved on to other games recently.
Keep up the good work.

Mohasz

Weeked Smasher
Full time wrecker
I don't want to sound negative but... this update doesn't sound reassuring at all. I mean something must be really wrong if after months of work there's still stuff like that in the game. Makes me wonder if it will take another couple of months to finish the build. ::)

NeatNit

Full time wrecker
Hi Bugbear.

You CAN release this update - and you really should! It looks HILARIOUS!

Here's how:

Through this menu it is possible to have different versions of the same game, and the user would be able to switch between them just like that! This is, for example, how Garry's Mod handles updates. There's almost always a "dev build" and a live release.

ONLY USERS WHO KNOW ABOUT THIS WOULD EVEN BOTHER TO LOOK. This means that if you release it this way, the "masses" would have no clue that it's even there; but those of us who would absolutely love to play with broken physics (of which there are surprisingly many) would finally get to do so!

Please consider it. Thanks.

Edit: here's the options for Garry's Mod as of right now: http://i.gyazo.com/4bc282dffea6e3de17a6ce4c496a06d0.png
To switch to dev branch I would just have to select this option and press close, and Steam starts downloading the selected branch immediately.

F!nsku

[SNW]
Full time wrecker
Is there someway how we, community, can help? Example releasing beta (what NeatNit posted) and testing it and reporting bugs..? I think there is many who wants help someway :3
BUT after all I think community can't help you if it's only trying to find right numbers and variables (is that right word?) to get everything okay.

Mohasz said:
I don't want to sound negative but... this update doesn't sound reassuring at all. I mean something must be really wrong if after months of work there's still stuff like that in the game. Makes me wonder if it will take another couple of months to finish the build. ::)
Don't worry, it'll come someday. They are doing hard work to fix problems :)

But about those images.. wrecked cars looks like Sneak Peek game's cars after hammer, cannons and crushers :D

chuckskyline

Master Blaster
Jori Virtanen said:
chuckskyline said:
is it just me..

but do the graphics look horrid in those screen shots?
They do, because the graphics settings is usually low when we do internal testing. It's not that important in fun pics like these to be on your best behavior :)
:)

I was like.. uh.. I'm pretty sure the last time I played it didn't look that bad... of course everything not in 2k or 4k looks sort of bad to me now :)

Rabbit80

I agree with some of the other comments on here. Release as a beta build on Steam and let the community give you some help.

We have already seen that there are some brilliant modders working on this game and you should use them to help. Release a variable tweaker tool with the buggy build and let the community speed things up for you!

LukeDude759

Weeked Smasher
This gave me an idea for what the April Fool's joke SHOULD have been. An "Official" update that completely breaks the physics. That would have been hilarious. Maybe next year, assuming you'll still be updating the game after it's out of early access. Just remember to make a backup ;)

Fisu

LukeDude759 said:
This gave me an idea for what the April Fool's joke SHOULD have been. An "Official" update that completely breaks the physics. That would have been hilarious. Maybe next year, assuming you'll still be updating the game after it's out of early access. Just remember to make a backup ;)
Well, BB still can delay the next update to year 2016 :-X

NeatNit

Full time wrecker
Rabbit80 said:
I agree with some of the other comments on here. Release as a beta build on Steam and let the community give you some help.

We have already seen that there are some brilliant modders working on this game and you should use them to help. Release a variable tweaker tool with the buggy build and let the community speed things up for you!
I dunno... I prefer to leave this to the pros. At this point I'm sure it's personal for many Bugbear employees - they wouldn't take kindly to letting other people finish the job!

Just a theory of course :p

sam223

Weeked Smasher
NeatNit said:
Rabbit80 said:

I dunno... I prefer to leave this to the pros. At this point I'm sure it's personal for many Bugbear employees - they wouldn't take kindly to letting other people finish the job!

Just a theory of course :p
The amount of effort needed to explain what's actually happening probably outweighs the chance of the community possibly helping aswell. I assume currently x + y = 5 where it should really be 1 + 2 = 3,super simplified of course. I said this very early last year,that i hoped the were using real life equations for physics calculations (with some approximation) and not just guestimating. I hope thats the case,and they are using real measurements or we could be waiting forever.

SkinnierSteve

Gamer and Youtuber.
I agree with the guys that said it would be fun to race with broken physics. I think it would be really funny and also fun. You should totally make a beta branch on steam!