Week #16 Report

Rabbit80

SkinnierSteve said:
I agree with the guys that said it would be fun to race with broken physics. I think it would be really funny and also fun. You should totally make a beta branch on steam!
Modders could at least make a moon circuit!

rhamm

Weeked Smasher
Team Bugbear Member
SkinnierSteve said:
I agree with the guys that said it would be fun to race with broken physics. I think it would be really funny and also fun. You should totally make a beta branch on steam!
It would definitely be fun.......................for about 10 minutes.

NeatNit

Full time wrecker
rhamm said:
SkinnierSteve said:
It would definitely be fun.......................for about 10 minutes.
Nothing wrong with that. Wanna go back to the non-broken version? Just switch straight back.

Having this option would just shut annoying people like myself straight up. ;)

G19x9x19

Weeky Update #1 - Sorry physics problem build has been delayed.
Weeky Update #2 - Sorry physics problem build has been delayed.
Weeky Update #3 - Sorry physics problem build has been delayed.
Weeky Update #4 - Sorry physics problem build has been delayed.
Weeky Update #5 - Sorry physics problem build has been delayed.
Weeky Update #6 - Sorry physics problem build has been delayed.
Weeky Update #7 - Sorry physics problem build has been delayed.
Weeky Update #8 - Sorry physics problem build has been delayed.
Weeky Update #9 - Sorry physics problem build has been delayed.
Weeky Update #10 - Sorry physics problem build has been delayed.
Weeky Update #11 - Sorry physics problem build has been delayed.
Weeky Update #12 - Sorry physics problem build has been delayed.
Weeky Update #13 - Sorry physics problem build has been delayed.
Weeky Update #14 - Sorry physics problem build has been delayed.
Weeky Update #15 - Sorry physics problem build has been delayed.
Weeky Update #16 - Sorry physics problem build has been delayed.

Its call EARLY acces, i expect bugs and glitch.....

Frisker

Weeked Smasher
G19x9x19 said:

But right now the physics are(According to Jori) one huge bug. It's basically unplayable.

G19x9x19

Frisker said:
G19x9x19 said:

But right now the physics are(According to Jori) one huge bug. It's basically unplayable.
Okay, so, what about experimental branch on steam ? I want see some progress, not only words on blog....

NeatNit

Full time wrecker
It would allow us to test all the other awesome features that are ready for the next build, such as: CPU players in multiplayer, changing cars and tracks in the lobby, etc. Just as long as we disregard any physics problems.

Don't get carried away with branches, experimental versions. I don't think it's going to happen.

Bugbear are a company. Like any company they need to make a profit and to do that they need a good reputation.

A lot of the people asking for the experimental update are asking because it looks funny. They want to laugh at it.

This is damaging for Bugbear. Videos will appear on Youtube - 'look at this daft game' but people might forget to put on there that it's an experimental version. People will see the videos and think the game is funny, laugh at it and that could damage reputation. Also the developers will have huge emotional investment in this project. It's not meant to be ridiculed.

It's a hard decision for Bugbear to make - keep the close community happy with a broken physics version but risk damaging the reputation of the game and the studio, or just sit tight and get a working update out ASAP.

I know which I would pick if I ran the company, and it would mean that the community would just have to be patient a little longer.

Musgroove

Doodily ding dong tick tock
Full time wrecker
I don't want them to waste time setting up a beta branch, just get this update done. Really excited for the new physics (and new content, obviously)

I'll have myself a new game to KILL time with on Tuesday, so take all the time you need.

NonBritGit

I also agree: Don't dick around with a beta branch. Waste of time and effort for little to no benefit (what would be the point of 'testing' this branch when it's basically an unplayable mess?).

Sad to say, I think the best approach for us (at this point) is to just go away and check a feed or something every week to see if anything new happens. Right now we're just beating a dead horse.

farscythe

physics are well n good and all.. but pretty pretty please give me the option to change gear ratios... im tired of only using 2nd n 3rd gear..
just a simple slider will do gear ratio short or long.. on a slider...me and my coupe want to use 5th gear

Pekonilkki

Team Bugbear Member
I almost feel happy that the update is getting delayed. My pc blew up so I wouldn't be able to play the game anyways. Plus, I'm enjoying the butthurt that the delays are causing because sometimes I like to watch the world burn. Maybe I'm just messed up in the head or something :D

I'll be fine as long as the update sees the light of day before August, because that's when I'll get a new toaster. If not, I shall cry and possibly write angry posts on this forum.

Pointy

Team Bugbear Member
Mohasz said:
I don't want to sound negative but... this update doesn't sound reassuring at all. I mean something must be really wrong if after months of work there's still stuff like that in the game. Makes me wonder if it will take another couple of months to finish the build. ::)
I hate to agree!

I haven't touched WF since before Xmas, as I was desperately waiting for the new update. Months later and still nothing. :(

Bugbear should take a look at how Tripwire are doing EA. I was lucky enough to participate in the Killing Floor 2 BETA before EA, which comes out next week. They put out a very polished BETA that didn't have any major bugs and just had a few minor fixes and balance tweaks. During that week of testing they put out 4 updates.

OK car physics are a tad more complicated, but in my view BB should have got them right before EA. I fear I will have to learn the game all over again once we finally get the update. Apart from that I think KF2 will have all my gaming time for the foreseeable future.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of BB and have no doubt that eventually this game will be what I was hoping, besides which they already have my money so it doesn't matter. ;)

Regards,

Les

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
But without the Sneak Peek going viral on Youtube and NCVG\Wreckfest pre-alpha being release on Steam, Bugbear ( without the money from Steam sales ) would of been force to stay with their old ROMU engine and we would not see 24 player online with the overhaul ROMU game engine.

And I'm thinking career mode will be better because of the improve physics so the parts for the cars will make a difference.

Yes we would have Wreckfest release by now, but Wreckfest would not be the Great derby racing game it is headed to be with the new game engine!

Hmm, do I sound like a fanboy?

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
Finsku said:
Is there someway how we, community, can help? Example releasing beta (what NeatNit posted) and testing it and reporting bugs..? I think there is many who wants help someway :3
User FWCorey summed this up pretty neatly on Steam forums:

"As far as releasing "Unstable alpha" builds goes, it can take over a month to setup an automated submission process for nightly builds and some parts of it cannot be automated. During development most builds are less stable than the currently published ones or just flatout broken because the code was only submitted as end-of-day, not complete and stable. Merging all of the branches of code into the "development" branch then getting it fully stable can take hours or days plus the time spent testing it before it is deemed stable enough to update the master branch and release as another alpha. Developers tend to be passionate about their projects and constantly under time pressure. We loath anything that drags us away from what we are currently working on because it slows the project down."

In addition to this, there are several more problems to solve. When someone gives us a bug report, that's easy to check. But when someone gives us feedback on how physics should be, it's immediately non-usable -- we have no way of checking whether or not the player understands physics to the degree we need and if she/he does, does knowledge of physics in video games and how they are modeled enter the picture? Add to this the massive amount of different variables and values the users would need to familiarize themselves with, and we're starting to see how immense the task is -- and that's if we open those values up, as they're one of our company secrets.

Even if we get past these hurdles, we'd have no way of making sure that the suggestions aren't colored by the player's personal desire to see Wreckfest become something else, e.g. a full-on arcade racer, than we plan it to be.

Basic problems like gathering all the feedback and all that doesn't even enter the picture here :)

Bug reporting and playtesting and stuff like that is, of course, absolutely essential to us, but we have to get to a point where the build is in a state where you can actually play the game ;)

Then there's this, too:

presuming ed said:
Don't get carried away with branches, experimental versions. I don't think it's going to happen.
Bugbear are a company. Like any company they need to make a profit and to do that they need a good reputation.
A lot of the people asking for the experimental update are asking because it looks funny. They want to laugh at it.
This is damaging for Bugbear. Videos will appear on Youtube - 'look at this daft game' but people might forget to put on there that it's an experimental version. People will see the videos and think the game is funny, laugh at it and that could damage reputation. Also the developers will have huge emotional investment in this project. It's not meant to be ridiculed.
It's a hard decision for Bugbear to make - keep the close community happy with a broken physics version but risk damaging the reputation of the game and the studio, or just sit tight and get a working update out ASAP.
I know which I would pick if I ran the company, and it would mean that the community would just have to be patient a little longer.
Exactly so.

And to another topic:

Pointy said:
Bugbear should take a look at how Tripwire are doing EA. I was lucky enough to participate in the Killing Floor 2 BETA before EA, which comes out next week. They put out a very polished BETA that didn't have any major bugs and just had a few minor fixes and balance tweaks. During that week of testing they put out 4 updates.
The key word here is "beta". We're still pre-alpha, which means we're not feature complete yet. Once we get to alpha, we can let people go nuts in earnest, because then we all know what the game will be like, and what remains is playtesting the shed out of that thang! It's easy to do quick updates to a game that's almost finished :)

dbs213

Master Blaster
I was thinking about siding with the dev branch crowd but I think the quote posted by Jori made a good point.

vogurt

I have an idea.

Wait until the update is released, play it, comment on it.

End of story. Whining about this or that or wanting a stupid beta branch that will only waste more time is.... well, a waste of time and brain power. Do something else, this update will be here some day, and when that day comes, play it. That's it.