Week #3 Report

T

Team Bugbear

Happy New Year, all y’all!

So, it’s a brand new year, and we’re back from our holiday hiatus! We’re back on track (bad pun intended, hurr hurr) in creating new content in earnest, blasting full speed down the road (hurr hurr).

But, despite the next major build looming just right within our grasp, we’re not there yet. We’re tuning the physics engine like madmen, pounding away crazy amounts of time trying to hammer it into shape. As it stands while this is written, we’re still a bit off from that mark: yesterday cars could fling themselves into low Earth orbit after hitting a pebble, or do a full 720 backflip from the smallest bounce. Today, we’re down to doing only mad amount of big air and several consecutive barrel rolls, so there’s definite progress!

And, as soon as the physics of the driving experience itself are good enough, we’ll push the build out. This may take a few days, or a couple of weeks if we can’t immediately find what causes all these issues. We’re almost there. Almost. We can taste it.

But, nothing bad if not something good as well! Bugbear is happy to have one of our lost flock back, as Johannes joins us once more! Johannes is the fellow responsible for developing the ROMU engine deform mechanisms, and nobody knows the intricacies and gimmicks of deformation better than him. So, you can expect some stellar changes in the damage and deform mechanisms of Wreckfest! Us, we’re just happy that the man is back at Bugbear. Welcome home, Mr. J.

We have a lot more great news and good stuff brewing behind the scenes, but we’ll get to those later on, once we get the build ready to launch. For now, be safe, and do take care.

Oh, and a few new screenies, just because we can.

-Team Bugbear

Adenru

Full time wrecker
Team Bugbear said:
yesterday cars could fling themselves into low Earth orbit after hitting a pebble, or do a full 720 backflip from the smallest bounce
Sounds fun. You could have relased broken build at least for a day. Would have a lot of funny videos flooding youtube.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
You see the date on that video? July 8, 2008

Look like Johannes was already setting the ground work for soft body damage in the ROMU engine back in 2008. Even some the stuff in the Sneak Peek demo was in that video. :eek:

And if you watch the video, you will see it take some high level math to calculate the damage. And some over at Steam forum want to call Bugbear lazy. I like to see them work with the formulas in the video.

B

BrianUK

Purple44 said:
You see the date on that video? July 8, 2008

Look like Johannes was already setting the ground work for soft body damage in the ROMU back in 2008. Even some the stuff in the Sneak Peek demo was in that video. :eek:

And if you watch the video, you will see it take some high level math to calculate the damage. And some over at Steam forum want to call Bugbear lazy. I like to see them work with the formulas in the video.
Oh Purple *shakes head*

On the Steam forums, everyone is a professor in everything! D:

Keras

Full time wrecker
Thanks for the news but I wonder how the design front is doing while the physics front is jammed. I really want to see more improvements on the tracks and of course new tracks :p

vogurt

Cool :) I'm stoked for Johannes return! I want to see these cars fold up in even more detail!

P.S. I would do anything for a v-8 Station Wagon to Wreck some fest with. :)

Jake97

Nice work guys :) Just one thing i would like to see added would be rewind in replay mode. I know you can fast forward the replays but once every so often i have gone to far and missed what i wanted to see and have to start the whole replay again lol.

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
Needles Kane said:
I found old video of Johannes Rajala speaks about dynamic mesh deformation.

Dynamic Mesh Deformation for Car Games video

Welcome back Johannes.
I remember someone linking that here before. Very good video. Great to have Johannes back!

And that thrid picture mmmm... bending metal... :D

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
vogurt said:
Cool :) I'm stoked for Johannes return! I want to see these cars fold up in even more detail!

P.S. I would do anything for a v-8 Station Wagon to Wreck some fest with. :)
Second that, I hope we see a US or Euro station wagon in the next Build. I will be happy with either one :D

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
Yeah thanks! Happy New Year back, and I as well am real glad he is back!

Good luck with the repairs! but I must ask... is the AI going to be better in our next new build?

crazychris4124

Full time wrecker
Oh man you guys should have gave us the option to have this build with the insane physics as a joke. Could have just said in bold letters before you get to the main menu

"The physics are broken go see how much mayhem you can cause, this will only be around for a week or two. Next build will be down to Earth.

Have Fun!"

Adziej

Weeked Smasher
Glad to read that Johannes is back. I am sure he will help you to make Wreckfest the greatest car game in the world. :D

Please Bugbear, share your current broken build in the experimental branch on Steam! Will be funny to test broken physics.

K

KingOfTheCakes

All good news once again. Hope you all had a good christmas. :)

Btw, how long ago were those screens taken?

Aerotactics

Uh...that third screen makes the car look like play-dough :s I would hope the soft-body physics aren't going to be THAT soft.

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Aerotactics said:
Uh...that third screen makes the car look like play-dough :s I would hope the soft-body physics aren't going to be THAT soft.
I think its reasonable,depends how fast the hitting car was travelling.Which you cant tell from the photo