Week #3 Report

Holybeer

I took the first video on youtube.

the fact is, you can't make a j-turn on WF, when you do it, the car stops when it rotates, feels like there is no power, you can't accelerate. huge time lose. it feels like the engine doesn't have any fking power.

But yeah, that's offtopic.

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
The fact that all that is available wheel wise it seems, is a G27 at a couple hundred bucks, is a travesty of the market, and Logitech taking advantage of that same market. They could easily offer a cheaper alternative, but why bother when they have a monopoly on the entry level market for wheels?
I've read the DFGT is supposed to be pretty good. Many here use it. Costs about half as much as the G27.

And the manual shifter on the G27 and others, is a gimmick; my paddle shift and the ability to keep both my hands on the wheel, will trump that silly shifter every time. Clutch or not. If you have a G27, dont use the side shifter; (it has paddles too, right?) Unless, your going for more immersion. Its an inferior shifting system for gaming, as far as I can tell.
That strongly depends on other factors. For example: Ho many degrees of stearing do you use?

If its only 180° (and I've read some even play with as little as 140°) Then yeah you can keep both hands on your paddles and shift in any situation.

But I use my G27 to go for most possible immersion (even at the cost of laptimes, I play for the fun of it). I play with 360° wheel rotation from lock to lock. SO when I'm in a hairpin or rcovering from a spin my wheel might be upside down, the moment I want to shift.

So I often only have one hand on the wheel being able to shift at any given moment. And I can shift from top gear to reverse in an instant without needing to go through all others sequentially...

Its just the most fun for me that way. Even if I could drive faster laptimes using i differently, I don't care that much :p

I built a race seat myself for under 50 € that works quite decently. Check it out for inspiration. Should work with any wheel :)

http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,6799.0.html

Henkka77

Full time wrecker
I have DFGT. In my closet. Its too much work to put it on everytime i race, so i bought a gamepad for 15 euros and its great. No need to install that big wheel everytime. ;)
I can recommend gamepad, not as accurate as wheel, but beats keyboard everytime and for 15 euros, really worth it.

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Holybeer said:
I took the first video on youtube.

the fact is, you can't make a j-turn on WF, when you do it, the car stops when it rotates, feels like there is no power, you can't accelerate. huge time lose. it feels like the engine doesn't have any fking power.

But yeah, that's offtopic.
I can pull them off sometimes,just gotta drop it into neutral whilst turning in reverse. Get the revs up before you are ready to head forward. Clutch will help with this.

J

Jelco

I play with a xbox controller and it's great for me. Flicking the stick left to right makes it go into drift mode which is super easy to control. I can drift through the tiniest of holes. -- lol
J turning is F'ed but after some practise i can do it now n then but it isnt meant to because there is something missing physics wise i think.

beazermyst

Any update on eventual Splitscreen? This is what will make the game truly worth it to me. I have enjoyed the game so far, but to me I don't find any enjoyment in the online multiplayer. I have played a few matches online and am impressed that it is fully functional and effective. But its not quite fun for me since I don't know any of the people. I always have a blast when playing couch games with my friends. My friends are people who don't have nor ever will have steam, so buying more copies for them to play with wont do any good since they don't have a way of playing it nor do they want to own it. But they are willing to play with me in the living room on my htpc. Its a blast. I would even pay extra money for a splitscreen mode. Make it a dlc I don't care. I only say this because this is the best racing game I have ever played but am frustrated because I cant share it with others. Any updates would be appreciated. I know there was a splitscreen post on this website about a month after the first early access release with a vote and all. But nothing has been said since then other than It could happen. Is it a part of the plan?

J

Jelco

beazermyst said:
Any update on eventual Splitscreen? This is what will make the game truly worth it to me. I have enjoyed the game so far, but to me I don't find any enjoyment in the online multiplayer. I have played a few matches online and am impressed that it is fully functional and effective. But its not quite fun for me since I don't know any of the people. I always have a blast when playing couch games with my friends. My friends are people who don't have nor ever will have steam, so buying more copies for them to play with wont do any good since they don't have a way of playing it nor do they want to own it. But they are willing to play with me in the living room on my htpc. Its a blast. I would even pay extra money for a splitscreen mode. Make it a dlc I don't care. I only say this because this is the best racing game I have ever played but am frustrated because I cant share it with others. Any updates would be appreciated. I know there was a splitscreen post on this website about a month after the first early access release with a vote and all. But nothing has been said since then other than It could happen. Is it a part of the plan?
They would really need to make the singleplayer as good as the multiplayer first.
I'm sure there will be a splitscreen eventually

M

Mopower

I wonder how the progress is coming on the suspension physics. I'm pretty excited to see what they have to bring. They must be really close to getting it by now. I hope so anyway

Iwasawa

Weeked Smasher
This update has to contain hell lots of things to-not-disappoint me because it takes soo long....

Mohasz

Weeked Smasher
Full time wrecker
Iwasawa said:
This update has to contain hell lots of things to-not-disappoint me because it takes soo long....
I've got bad news for you, because I have a feeling this will be just another "under-the-hood" update. To be honest, I don't even know why we (they) need new tire physics, or how it will change the gameplay for the better, but the devs sure know their stuff better than me. I really hope the update will be out in January, though.

M

Mopower

Mohasz said:
Iwasawa said:
I've got bad news for you, because I have a feeling this will be just another "under-the-hood" update. To be honest, I don't even know why we (they) need new tire physics, or how it will change the gameplay for the better, but the devs sure know their stuff better than me. I really hope the update will be out in January, though.
Yes, I'm sure it will be a mostly under the hood update, except that from the sounds of it, the suspension rework is going to change the handling and feel of the cars quite a bit... Also, Sounds like there might actually be some tire options.

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
I am really curious how the new menus will look, and also if we have a new garage as well!

Plus cannot wait to see how the community enjoys racing with AI bots!!! it may be pretty hilarious with the perfect driving AI cars.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Daystar said:
I am really curious how the new menus will look, and also if we have a new garage as well!

Plus cannot wait to see how the community enjoys racing with AI bots!!! it may be pretty hilarious with the perfect driving AI cars.

Hmmm, I wonder how well AI bots going handle a oval online when there over 10 wrecked cars on the track. Will they be smart enough to try and avoid some the wrecks?

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
Purple44 said:
Daystar said:

Hmmm, I wonder how well AI bots going handle a oval online when there over 10 wrecked cars on the track. Will they be smart enough to try and avoid some the wrecks?
I am assuming they will react the same, as if in single player mode. which is, they will avoid obstacles in their way. and as you already know, Jori had mentioned not much will be done with AI this next build.
but one thing should be certain... we can overtake them AI cars with ease. they are simply not that great at speed it seems. I am always passing them. and be careful not to make contact with them! for they will stick to you like magnets! in single player mode, it's simply Pushfest ;D

Gimmic

You know, I've been playing nightly now for a while and I have to say I wish they would work on core game features before revamping 'tire physics'.

It isn't anything that has to do with the physics or even really much of the in-game components.

Basic things that currently are a huge stumbling block:
[list type=decimal]
[*]The server host needs to be able to change game settings without disconnecting everyone(map,mode,laps,etc).
[*]Clients need to be able to change cars and settings while remaining connected to the server.
[*]In-game chat.
[*]More customizable server settings/restrictions/rulesets(reset car cooldown, server name, etc)
[*]Spectating an in-progress map(obviously the most engine changing)
[/list]

Honestly, why hasn't car customization preferences saving been HOTFIXED by this point. That seems like such a basic braindead fix and it is pretty much ridiculous that it hasn't been patched in yet.

The game is great, it is just suffering from what appears to be a failure to see the forest for the trees. Why are we revamping a physics model when what should be considered foundational functionality still missing? Why are simple fixes waiting on significant engine upgrades? :'(

M

Mopower

Gimmic said:
You know, I've been playing nightly now for a while and I have to say I wish they would work on core game features before revamping 'tire physics'.

It isn't anything that has to do with the physics or even really much of the in-game components.

[list type=decimal]
[*]The server host needs to be able to change game settings without disconnecting everyone(map,mode,laps,etc).
[*]Clients need to be able to change cars and settings while remaining connected to the server.
[*]In-game chat.
[*]More customizable server settings/restrictions/rulesets(reset car cooldown, server name, etc)
[/list]
I believe they had talked about having the host be able to change maps and players being able to switch cars in game. I could be wrong.

LUNITIC_WILL

Full time wrecker
Gimmic said:

[list type=decimal]
[*]In-game chat.
[/list]

Honestly, why hasn't car customization preferences saving been HOTFIXED by this point. That seems like such a basic braindead fix and it is pretty much ridiculous that it hasn't been patched in yet.

The game is great, it is just suffering from what appears to be a failure to see the forest for the trees. Why are we revamping a physics model when what should be considered foundational functionality still missing? Why are simple fixes waiting on significant engine upgrades? :'(
1. the tire physics and suspension are part of the core game. they need to get it down first before everything else. you can't make a car without the chassis first. 2. this game is in early alpha so some things like the setting saving for cars is not there yet. 3. the physics are WIP so when the tire/suspension physics come out, it should be close to the final version. 4. you can't build the car without the chassis upgrades first

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
Gimmic said:

[list type=decimal]
[*]In-game chat.
[/list]

Hey Gimmic,

I think all of the things you mentioned are suppoed to make the next build. SO no worries there. Different guys at BB work on different stuff. SO while some of them are reworking the tyre physics, theres still some others left to take care of the other stuff.

Also, waht could be a more "core-feature" of a racing game than tyre physics. That may well be the most important part. To me the other stuff (nice menu and so on) are just additional. What would you rather have?

1. A nice menu but no racing game behind it, or
2. A nice racing game without a menu that you have to launch via console or so...

Lets just hope they'll get that new build to us soon :)

Gimmic said:
[list type=decimal]
[*]In-game chat.
[/list]
http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,6959.0.html