Week #3 Report

Conte Zero

Crash hard, then crash harder.
Full time wrecker
Purple44 said:
Daystar said:
I am really curious how the new menus will look, and also if we have a new garage as well!

Plus cannot wait to see how the community enjoys racing with AI bots!!! it may be pretty hilarious with the perfect driving AI cars.
No problem if they cant, I love catastrophic crashes as Im approaching at 110 mph

Hmmm, I wonder how well AI bots going handle a oval online when there over 10 wrecked cars on the track. Will they be smart enough to try and avoid some the wrecks?

Iwasawa

Weeked Smasher
Mohasz said:
Iwasawa said:
This update has to contain hell lots of things to-not-disappoint me because it takes soo long....
I've got bad news for you, because I have a feeling this will be just another "under-the-hood" update. To be honest, I don't even know why we (they) need new tire physics, or how it will change the gameplay for the better, but the devs sure know their stuff better than me. I really hope the update will be out in January, though.
I like under-the-hood updates too... If the susp and tire physics will be new thats good, i dont like them as they are now anyway. Damage still not working corretcly, i hope they fix that too. Also there are lots of things, dont have to be lots of new cars or tracks, i just want to be able to enjoy the current ones... which now i cant..

LUNITIC_WILL

Full time wrecker
arachnoides said:
I suggest Bugbear go to the developers and programers of Assetto Corsa for help. I again believe the public isn't going to a beta version until 2016.
Thanks!
after this next update, we should have more frequent updates due to the technical side of things being done. we should see more cars, track, and custmization options

Ving

Lari Fari said:
The fact that all that is available wheel wise it seems, is a G27 at a couple hundred bucks, is a travesty of the market, and Logitech taking advantage of that same market. They could easily offer a cheaper alternative, but why bother when they have a monopoly on the entry level market for wheels?
I've read the DFGT is supposed to be pretty good. Many here use it. Costs about half as much as the G27.

And the manual shifter on the G27 and others, is a gimmick; my paddle shift and the ability to keep both my hands on the wheel, will trump that silly shifter every time. Clutch or not. If you have a G27, dont use the side shifter; (it has paddles too, right?) Unless, your going for more immersion. Its an inferior shifting system for gaming, as far as I can tell.
That strongly depends on other factors. For example: Ho many degrees of stearing do you use?

If its only 180° (and I've read some even play with as little as 140°) Then yeah you can keep both hands on your paddles and shift in any situation.

But I use my G27 to go for most possible immersion (even at the cost of laptimes, I play for the fun of it). I play with 360° wheel rotation from lock to lock. SO when I'm in a hairpin or rcovering from a spin my wheel might be upside down, the moment I want to shift.

So I often only have one hand on the wheel being able to shift at any given moment. And I can shift from top gear to reverse in an instant without needing to go through all others sequentially...

Its just the most fun for me that way. Even if I could drive faster laptimes using i differently, I don't care that much :p

I built a race seat myself for under 50 € that works quite decently. Check it out for inspiration. Should work with any wheel :)

http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,6799.0.html
Nice man! Yeah, dont get me wrong; I'd be that guy trying to use the shifter too, if i had a g27, just from my experience, it would be an immersion thing, but if i was competing for times on a team or something? Gimme my paddles w/out clutch thanks.

As for the turning angle, i forget what the max on this is. A downside is yeah, logitech profiler and this game with my FFGP, arent playing nice together, and I reckon that may have to do with Logitech going the extra mile to make sure their old hardware, isnt fully functional, in order to incentive new sales, or just them not bothering to support it anymore. But anyway, my point is i cant increase it via that method, at least right now for this game.

Will haveta take a look at that DFGT, thanks for the insight

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
"As for the turning angle"

I have a DFGT wheel and I don't load Logitech profiler before running Wreckfest. I do use profiler to easily get to screen where I can set my degree of rotation for my wheel. You can not do it this way for your FF GP wingman wheel?

B

BrianUK

I know it's a tiny thing, but I got uncontrollably happy about it when I saw it, then sad when it went away - will the race position HUD component ever double as a 'cars running' counter again? It was nice to see it have that function, but then it got removed and never spoken of again. I ran 48 laps of Sandpit against the AI and had no idea how many cars were running until I finished.

I don't want a million things cluttering up the HUD, and it would be nice if those two things could be merged into a single counter, again.

BrianUK said:
I ran 48 laps of Sandpit against the AI and had no idea how many cars were running until I finished.
To get a rough idea, hold TAB/Select and quickly check if there's a lot of DNFs in the list.

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
Right. For that to work better, could you make the list semi-transparent when looking at it while still in the race.

But additionally I wouldn't mind the counter showing cars running, either. Maybe even have it show 3 numbers? Like: 1/8/24 (Position/cars running/cars at beginning) ? :)

B

BrianUK

Tapio Vierros said:
BrianUK said:
I ran 48 laps of Sandpit against the AI and had no idea how many cars were running until I finished.
To get a rough idea, hold TAB/Select and quickly check if there's a lot of DNFs in the list.
I did that, and it showed me nothing apart from positions and fastest laps. Over half the grid went out, so I should've seen DNFs, but it didn't show me any. Also, I'm trying to drive, I don't need/want things to fill my screen when I'm pushing for fastest laps. Just something to glance at without having to take my hand off the steering or gearing would be better.

sam223

Weeked Smasher
BrianUK said:
Tapio Vierros said:
BrianUK said:
I did that, and it showed me nothing apart from positions and fastest laps. Over half the grid went out, so I should've seen DNFs, but it didn't show me any. Also, I'm trying to drive, I don't need/want things to fill my screen when I'm pushing for fastest laps. Just something to glance at without having to take my hand off the steering or gearing would be better.
You also cannot scroll the tab window whilst racing. So if you are running on a lower resolution you barely see half the field on the list.

Ving

Purple44 said:

I have a DFGT wheel and I don't load Logitech profiler before running Wreckfest. I do use profiler to easily get to screen where I can set my degree of rotation for my wheel. You can not do it this way for your FF GP wingman wheel?

Well, Not sure ultimately; I was having what I think where conflicts with my logitech flightstick in hindsight. Basically, with just the generic driver, i get all control functionality, minus force feedback, besides wheel resistance, which i do get.

Since it works, and I dont have an issue with turn radius, I havent tried harder than just bypassing it as an option, once i saw it didnt quite work quick and dirty with my other controller plugged in.

When i do get off my lazy butt, and mess with it more, I'll defenitely post for others who have the same wheel. :D

Ving

Ving said:
Purple44 said:

Well, Not sure ultimately; I was having what I think where conflicts with my logitech flightstick in hindsight. Basically, with just the generic driver, i get all control functionality, minus force feedback, besides wheel resistance, which i do get.

Since it works, and I dont have an issue with turn radius, I havent tried harder than just bypassing it as an option, once i saw it didnt quite work quick and dirty with my other controller plugged in.

When i do get off my lazy butt, and mess with it more, I'll defenitely post for others who have the same wheel. :D
Ok, so update:

DL'd the recommended logitech hardware for the FFGP. (Logitech Formula Force GP)

I think the issue I was having prior, might have been because I was using a tweeked version of the hardware for the ferrari wheel before, for a different title. Anyway,

Full force feedback is back. However, I dont have a setting for changing the steering degrees. No biggie; I didnt have a problem with the F-1 style steering box/ tight steering/short radial lock anyway.

If anyone is wondering, i'm running 7 x64, and the hardware version is 4.60, vista 64 version.

Still playing around with levels of spring and dampening.

Force feedback in this game feels decent, even with the 'older style' ffb...

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
I would reccomend playing without centering spring. (assuming that is what you meant by "spring")

The centering forces when driving are enough to center the wheel. For example when letting the wheel slip through your fingers after a turn.

And when standing stil it makes no sense for the wheel to center itself. It wouldn't happen IRL and thats why I disabled it.

And it doesn't help to "feel" what your car is doing traction-wise. In contrary I think it hinders you from knowing whats actually going on with the forces at work :)

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Centering spring for me help keep me from over steering. I need that resistance when turning wheel left and right.

I know some use a low FF. That messes me up if wheel turn to easy!!

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Centring spring gives the same sensation you get while driving your road car. Full lock and then onto a straight,the wheel returns to centre. No centring spring and you would have to straighten up yourself after a turn,feels weird.

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
sam223 said:
Centring spring gives the same sensation you get while driving your road car. Full lock and then onto a straight,the wheel returns to centre. No centring spring and you would have to straighten up yourself after a turn,feels weird.
Actually that is not correct. Because the forces at work IRL that center your wheel are actually simulated in the game! Isn't that the whole point in FFB: to simulate what a real car and steering wheel would feel like?

I play with 0 % centering spring. The FFB itself is more than enough to straighten the wheel. Ofcourse only when the car is moving. When the car stands still theres no force on the wheel. Just like in a real car.

And here is another very important aspect to this. When drifting, the wheel will turn away from center as the tyres want to point in the direction they are moving NOT the direction the car is pointing!!

Say you are drifting around a bend that goes right. As soon as your rear end comes out and you're going sideways your tyres want to turn left forcing your wheel to turn left too.

The centering spring might work against that effect preventing you from feeling where the perfect point of the clean drift is, only making small corrections. Becaus as the tyres find the correct direction to point and the wheel will point in that direction too. But the centering spring will try to straighten the wheel, without there being a physics based reason for that...