Week #4 Report

T

Team Bugbear

Guest
Weekly Report #4

All righty! This is what’s bubbling under at Bugbear when the end of January comes closer.

The question you most likely want to be answered is: will the new build finally be launched this weekend?

Unfortunately no, it will not.

The decision boils down to essentially a very simple risk management choice:
Going public with a build with broken physics is foolish, and doing so with a game that entirely revolves around said physics would be sheer folly. In short, Wreckfest would be unplayable and unenjoyable. We know many of you would take the broken build as an opportunity to help us develop the physics, but thousands of other players wouldn't. All they would see is a broken release that crippled their game, and there'd be no repairing the damage our credibility would take from that. That's why we can’t launch the new build before it's absolutely ready.

In theory, we could've gone and done a separate build for other features so we could have released those while physics were still under development. However, that would've created a plethora of problems we'd need to fix later on, and how many hours that'd taken is anyone's guess. We didn't want to go that way, so we stuck with a single build.

So, that's why the new build isn't out yet. Have patience, have faith :)

And how hard can getting the physics right might be, then, you ask? Well funny you should mention! Remember that small tool we had for helping us see when the tires lose their grip? Well, we kinda had to expand on that so it could meet our demands… Now witness the power of this fully armed and operational physics tool!



In other news, and these are much more on the “good news” variety of news, game feature design is well under way. We’re settling down on what kind of tech tree we’ll include in the game, what the character progression will be like, what kind of effects the condition of upgrade parts will have on car performance, what part the parts play in general, and so on. Interesting times, and there’s much, much more we’d like to say – but that’ll have to wait until next week’s blog, which will be all about new features that revolve around the career mode.

Oh, and we also had a table top ice hockey tournament. Hot pizza, cold drinks and slack jawed goofing off were just the perfect way to end this week.




Until next time, and, as always, stay safe.

- Team Bugbear
 

Rabbit80

Member
Wow - weekly updates!

Team Bugbear said:
The question you most likely want to be answered is: will the new build finally be launched this weekend?

Unfortunately no, it will not.

The decision boils down to essentially a very simple risk management choice:
Going public with a build with broken physics is foolish, and doing so with a game that entirely revolves around said physics would be sheer folly. In short, Wreckfest would be unplayable and unenjoyable. We know many of you would take the broken build as an opportunity to help us develop the physics, but thousands of other players wouldn't. All they would see is a broken release that crippled their game, and there'd be no repairing the damage our credibility would take from that. That's why we can’t launch the new build before it's absolutely ready.

In theory, we could've gone and done a separate build for other features so we could have released those while physics were still under development. However, that would've created a plethora of problems we'd need to fix later on, and how many hours that'd taken is anyone's guess. We didn't want to go that way, so we stuck with a single build.

So, that's why the new build isn't out yet. Have patience, have faith :)
I can't help feel that having 2 builds available to download would be a good option. I don't mean for you to go down the line of a separate build for the new features, but more of a stable build and a separate buggy (nightly) build - with big warnings saying "NOT RECOMMENDED - BROKEN" :)

Looks like the tyre physics are getting way more complex than the current version.. not surprised it is taking a while!
 

Henkka77

Member
Full time wrecker
As seen in screenshots, distances in meters to previous and next player, something what we will see in next build?
 
B

BrianUK

Guest
Cheers for the info, guys. Liking the 'distance to next car' thing, I've always liked raw distance rather than time, it's something I very much loved in Re-Volt.

That Sedan is rolling horribly, good thing we didn't get the build this week, otherwise the endurance event would be interesting. A lot of beached boats.

Ooh, just spotted the rev counter too, with adjusted redline so I no longer have to redline the car to learn the shifting point.
 

Holybeer

Member
Team Bugbear said:
Weekly Report #4

Oh, and we also had a table top ice hockey tournament. Hot pizza, cold drinks and slack jawed goofing off were just the perfect way to end this week.



Until next time, and, as always, stay safe.

- Team Bugbear
" Broken Physics " SUUUURRE.

Oh, we already knew that the update will come later. We're getting used to.
 

Frisker

Active Member
Weeked Smasher
Kotipizza sucks :D (But Karhu is good!)

Okay ontopic: So now I understand the jumping around part... the "failboat" is actually a boat on road :D

So I think it's safe to assume that there is no ETA on release yet? But on the good side, I love the distance on next car thingy.

Can't wait for next week's update! Keep on rockin'!

Holybeer said:
Team Bugbear said:
Weekly Report #4

Oh, and we also had a table top ice hockey tournament. Hot pizza, cold drinks and slack jawed goofing off were just the perfect way to end this week.

-hockey pic-

Until next time, and, as always, stay safe.

- Team Bugbear
" Broken Physics " SUUUURRE.

Oh, we already knew that the update will come later. We're getting used to.
One of these comments just had to come.
 

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
BrianUK said:
Cheers for the info, guys. Liking the 'distance to next car' thing, I've always liked raw distance rather than time, it's something I very much loved in Re-Volt.
That Sedan is rolling horribly, good thing we didn't get the build this week, otherwise the endurance event would be interesting. A lot of beached boats.
Ooh, just spotted the rev counter too, with adjusted redline so I no longer have to redline the car to learn the shifting point.
The distance meter is indeed coming in the next build. Some of us are in the "distance to previous/next player" camp whereas others have dug themselves deep in the "time to previous/next player" trenches. The former is uniform and always absolute but more arcadey, whereas the latter is used in real races but is inaccurate. Both solutions work, but we're yet to see which one will be used in the end :)

And yeah, the sedan rolls quite nicely. Accelerate, turn sharp and hit the brakes, and off you go! Admittedly the screenie has been taken during a haywire moment of tweaking, but I did it on purpose to underline how difficult it is to get the settings right. Fail, and the handling is shot.
 
B

BrianUK

Guest
Jori Virtanen said:
The distance meter is indeed coming in the next build. Some of us are in the "distance to previous/next player" camp whereas others have dug themselves deep in the "time to previous/next player" trenches. The former is uniform and always absolute but more arcadey, whereas the latter is used in real races but is inaccurate.
There is nothing like seeing that an opponent has crashed and watching the distance go up wildly. I don't know, it just seems more satisfying. Although 4 Wheel Thunder on the Dreamcast had the time, and that was live and updated the whole time you were driving, so you got the same wild movement when someone had an accident.

 

HDTanel

New Member
Hey guys!
Long time no word from me :)

I wanted to write a reply cause I think this project seems to keep going in the wrong direction... why is Bugbear so keen on physics? They were really good when I tested the game back in 2013... and they are still good... and game getting delayed because of new physics... the physics is not that important to FlatOut games, it was perfect already years ago, I don´t understand why so much time and effort needs to go there.. its not a simulation game, its a fun destruction derby type of game, atleast it used to be.
What is taking so long?
 

Dillinja187

Member
The Cars, soft-shell damage, and lets not forget tyre physics is what this game revolves around, of course its important I would say the "most important" of all !. Things can be built from that after establishing a solid base (physics model) to work from.

Content comes later, 1st solid foundations to start with is a must !
 

Purple44

Well-Known Member
Team Bugbear Member
Jori Virtanen said:
BrianUK said:
Cheers for the info, guys. Liking the 'distance to next car' thing, I've always liked raw distance rather than time, it's something I very much loved in Re-Volt.
That Sedan is rolling horribly, good thing we didn't get the build this week, otherwise the endurance event would be interesting. A lot of beached boats.
Ooh, just spotted the rev counter too, with adjusted redline so I no longer have to redline the car to learn the shifting point.
The distance meter is indeed coming in the next build. Some of us are in the "distance to previous/next player" camp whereas others have dug themselves deep in the "time to previous/next player" trenches. The former is uniform and always absolute but more arcadey, whereas the latter is used in real races but is inaccurate. Both solutions work, but we're yet to see which one will be used in the end :)
If we are not going have a minimap to show were players are, I vote showing distance to player ahead and player behind. That easier for me to picture how far ahead someone is than time.
 

Cornkid

Yada Yada - Actions speak louder
Full time wrecker
Many thanks for the info Jori, appreciate it.

Even more impressive is that you said "next weeks blog" , which for me means you have taken note of us that were less than happy on lack of news, and acted on it.

Have a great weekend team, and I fully understand why "physics" is so important in the game.
 

GuitarJozz

New Member
HDTanel said:
Hey guys!
Long time no word from me :)

I wanted to write a reply cause I think this project seems to keep going in the wrong direction... why is Bugbear so keen on physics? They were really good when I tested the game back in 2013... and they are still good... and game getting delayed because of new physics... the physics is not that important to FlatOut games, it was perfect already years ago, I don´t understand why so much time and effort needs to go there.. its not a simulation game, its a fun destruction derby type of game, atleast it used to be.
What is taking so long?
The physics are indeed the most important part of a game like this. The glue that holds the entire game together. Ensuring that the physics are near perfect before they move on to the other parts of the game means they are going 100% in the RIGHT direction.

Also, I believe they have built a new engine for this game, so you have to take that into consideration for any delays as well. It's almost always a lengthy learning process when working with something new, especially a gaming engine. I imagine it can take hours to just get one small detail working. I bet it can be frustrating at times too.

So thanks for this update, and being honest. And don't worry, I think most of us would rather you take more time to work on and polish up the physics, than rush it and release a flawed or unplayable game.
 

freddy

New Member
GuitarJozz said:
The physics are indeed the most important part of a game like this. The glue that holds the entire game together. Ensuring that the physics are near perfect before they move on to the other parts of the game means they are going 100% in the RIGHT direction.
100% agree.

Take your time, keep the already good physics, and we all will be happy :-*
 

Fisu

Member
Jori Virtanen said:
BrianUK said:
Cheers for the info, guys. Liking the 'distance to next car' thing, I've always liked raw distance rather than time, it's something I very much loved in Re-Volt.
That Sedan is rolling horribly, good thing we didn't get the build this week, otherwise the endurance event would be interesting. A lot of beached boats.
Ooh, just spotted the rev counter too, with adjusted redline so I no longer have to redline the car to learn the shifting point.
The distance meter is indeed coming in the next build. Some of us are in the "distance to previous/next player" camp whereas others have dug themselves deep in the "time to previous/next player" trenches. The former is uniform and always absolute but more arcadey, whereas the latter is used in real races but is inaccurate. Both solutions work, but we're yet to see which one will be used in the end :)

And yeah, the sedan rolls quite nicely. Accelerate, turn sharp and hit the brakes, and off you go! Admittedly the screenie has been taken during a haywire moment of tweaking, but I did it on purpose to underline how difficult it is to get the settings right. Fail, and the handling is shot.
Add a color to the distance. Then you can show whole 24 guys and color helps player to understand how close they are each other. Mostly I like to know is front of me Brian and 5 other players half min behind him or are they all inside 10 seconds.
 
Top