Week #46 Report

T

Team Bugbear

All right,

Time for a small update on what we're working on.

Well, the first and foremost of future additions is reworked tire physics. It’s no small thing, for the tire physics affect every single thing in the gameplay – the way your car handles is tied to the tires, the crashes, slides, swerves,… Everything. Because it’s that big a deal to the overall experience, the tire physics need extra special attention, which is why this will take more than a few weeks to complete. Way more. There’s no time frame when we expect the job to be done, but we’ll get there :)

We’ve also sent away teams to scout real life locations for dirt track inspirations. Here’s a few pictures of the views and vistas we’ll be drawing from when designing and honing the tracks.

We’re also busy redesigning the menus while keeping an eye on what features we’ll have in the final product. We’re weighing carefully what kind of menu solution has the best flow from launching the game to launching a race while giving the players the easiest access to e.g. the Garage and social features, such as currently playing friends.

We are also working on several other things, obviously, but we’ll get back to them later on.

Enjoy the late autumn, folks! Stay happy, stay safe :)

Dillinja187

Thanks for the little snippet of info its much appreciated :)

I do hope we are going to get some sort of Christmas prezzy in the form of a new build/small hotfix for over the Christmas period ?

Any hints to what we might be seeing ?

It would be really nice to be able to put up some rules on the lobby window so people are aware of what and how the server rolls

P.S
Is it me or do both the still shots look similar to last 2 turns on sandpit (normal route)

Mohasz

Weeked Smasher
Full time wrecker
New tire physics sounds cool, I hope it's finished by christmas (probably not).
Also, I don't want to sound like a BAD WORD AHOOGA AHOOGA, but do we really need another sandpit track? At least that's what I gather from those pics.

<cussing censored by Jori, coz that's how I roll>

J

Jelco

you must get tired of me but please work on some SinglePlayer AI fixing too because right now i'm left with no choice but to only play MP because SP just isnt any fun right now :p

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
Mohasz said:
do we really need another sandpit track? At least that's what I gather from those pics.
That depends. If we have, say, 20 tracks when the product is ready, then yes, I'd say we can afford one more sandpit track. But the main purpose for this was to scout locations so we can hone the existing tracks to be better than what they already are.

dbs213

Master Blaster
I'd actually want to see one more sandpit for this game before we move onto stuff like arenas, deserts, or even abandoned race tracks.

Edit: BB is it also possible for you to bring back the other track from the FlatOut Prototype?

Conte Zero

Crash hard, then crash harder.
Full time wrecker
dbs213 said:
I'd actually want to see one more sandpit for this game before we move onto stuff like arenas, deserts, or even abandoned race tracks.
+1000

love everything that looks like abandoned or gives em the feel of an illegal race!

T

T3MPraw

Conte Zero said:
dbs213 said:
+1000

love everything that looks like abandoned or gives em the feel of an illegal race!
+1001 ;D

Fileguru

Thank god more info on the current development of the handling. I already almost permanently uninstalled the game because of last updates regarding the handling, especially the latest one.

Even when all driving aids taken off and proper adjustments done to the car (locked differential to dirt track), the car went like a train on tracks. No powersliding or difficulties of driving a heavy, old crappy powerful rearwheel driven car. Driving is as hard as in Super-arcade "rally"-driving game Dirt 3, just floor the gas and forget braking, without any feel to the cars behaviour... WTF? . I know im a little more biased into simulation racing (RSRBR and R3E FTW!) BUT, when you take all the driving aids off, it NEEDS TO FEEL like your controlling your car, not the invisible tracks on the road... I mean cmon, thats why those driving aids are there; for amateur keyboard and controller players! But I really hope this is the issue you are working on. Otherwhise, minus the handling for now, this game is AWESOME fun with friends, and ALREADY is one of the all time greats!

And please dear Bugbear, please soon make the car adjustments saveable! It would be awesome to have like 2 little buttons in car settings menu, nr. 1 and 2 (like "dirt" and "tarmac" for example), where you can make adjustments of your liking and save it in those buttons. When you come in game again, the last used setting would be allready in selected car, and you could just click those nr. 1 or 2 buttons in the cars selection image for example, to select your saved car settings this way easily and quickly.. This is a MUCH waited feature!

Otherwise, please continue the good work (the handling! :mad: yeah i know i know it takes time), and make us a kickass demolition derby experience! :D

Dwayze

Physics tires is an important aspect of the game, work on it is good . I would like to see a winter road . I miss her

citizenerased

Weeked Smasher
Isn't the sandpit track just an updated one from the retro demo anyway? Not that that is a bad thing though. A couple of new ones would be nice.

Oh, can you throw in one more little car for the next update? Maybe something like the Mini Cooper, just a little one. That way when all the knuckleheads are banging into one another I can just zip through the small open gaps and claim my rightful trophy. :D

LUNITIC_WILL

Full time wrecker
better handling yay. you need to add stay warm to that list cause here in Colorado, last night got to be -15 F. and wyoming is supposed to get to -30 F

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
Thanks for updating us Jori. but also please focus on the god awefull AI please, as Jelco and me keep addressing.
I know it is not that easy a task perhaps... but as the single player mode sits now... it is Pushfest or Gluefest... which is not great.

Thanks

J

Jelco

Daystar said:
Thanks for updating us Jori. but also please focus on the god awefull AI please, as Jelco and me keep addressing.
I know it is not that easy a task perhaps... but as the single player mode sits now... it is Pushfest or Gluefest... which is not great.

Thanks
Hi :p

I think that the gameplay of the sp and mp should be on the same line and that the sp needs to get some work done as well. Lately it has just been mp updates and nothing is happening for the singleplayer while it is just if not more as important to get right.
I really did try to enjoy the latest singleplayer but the difference from the mp gameplay (car to car interaction) is too great and non enjoyable in sp. don't get me wrong, the mp is awesome :p
how hard can it be to make things behave the same way as in multiplayer?
I would like to see it done in one of the next patches and it should be a higher priority

Jelco said:
This is a brief and simplified reason:

The reason why AI so hard to pit etc. is that currently the AI handles the car perfectly. Whatever you do, they can do really fast adjustements to their steering, throttle etc. to counter the effects of you bumping them so they pretty much never spin out.

So, in order to get AI to behave the same way as players do in MP, we need to make some kind of mistake-mechanism to the AI. And that's not so simple. It's of course doable but fixing the gamebraking issues with MP has been our priority. But rest assured will fix the AI as soon as we can.

J

Jelco

Tero said:
Jelco said:
This is a brief and simplified reason:

The reason why AI so hard to pit etc. is that currently the AI handles the car perfectly. Whatever you do, they can do really fast adjustements to their steering, throttle etc. to counter the effects of you bumping them so they pretty much never spin out.

So, in order to get AI to behave the same way as players do in MP, we need to make some kind of mistake-mechanism to the AI. And that's not so simple. It's of course doable but fixing the gamebraking issues with MP has been our priority. But rest assured will fix the AI as soon as we can.
Oke but if the AI needs a mistake mechanism you must have had another one in build 3-4 because i remember that was pretty good