Week #46 Report

Frisker

Weeked Smasher
UsF said:
An idea for a track would be to have the road actually be bumpy and not flat (as in short small bumps). Imagine the ocasional small water ditches, like small pits of water, but they are actually lower and you sink half a tire length while driving through them. Then there would be bumps that raise you half a tire length higher. Combined, this could make for a messy road, but maybe it is fun to drive, as you'd actually have to pay attention to the short term contact you make on the road, not just turns and obstacles as it is right now.
That'd be awesome! Also cracks on old asphalt and stuff! Basically this would mean that you cannot just press accelerate and the car'd go straight, as those bumbs would force you to make small corrections all the time. That'd make some really cool races there as there would be some forced paint trading even if it was concidered a "clean race".

Love the idea, and I love the fact that you are focusing on tire physics, as tires are probably the most important aspect in car's control.(And physics)

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
Frisker said:
UsF said:
An idea for a track would be to have the road actually be bumpy and not flat (as in short small bumps). Imagine the ocasional small water ditches, like small pits of water, but they are actually lower and you sink half a tire length while driving through them. Then there would be bumps that raise you half a tire length higher. Combined, this could make for a messy road, but maybe it is fun to drive, as you'd actually have to pay attention to the short term contact you make on the road, not just turns and obstacles as it is right now.
That'd be awesome! Also cracks on old asphalt and stuff! Basically this would mean that you cannot just press accelerate and the car'd go straight, as those bumbs would force you to make small corrections all the time. That'd make some really cool races there as there would be some forced paint trading even if it was concidered a "clean race".

Love the idea, and I love the fact that you are focusing on tire physics, as tires are probably the most important aspect in car's control.(And physics)
At least in the Mudpit derby track there are many small bumbs so it's good idea to expand that on the race track also.

Saint Jimmy

http://www.youtube.com/StJimmyCOD
Thanks for the news, some small feedback to that:
- Good luck with the physics work, I hope it will work the way you want it to. The community will for sure give good feedback when a new build introduces the changes to us.
- Awesome photos from outside, it's funny how these photos seem to look like a Wreckfest track to me and not the other way around (that Wreckfest looks like these pics :D).
- The main menu concept looks like Windows Mobile somehow, it's okay but way too clean imo. Make sure to add some rusty dirty textures all around the screen if you realize it this way! The car menu looks good and nicely simple, it reminds me of the Flatout 2 menu somehow.
Thanks again, I'm eagerly waiting for news and builds, as always. :)

K

KingOfTheCakes

Good to hear about the tyres are getting some extra work, I'm quite happy to wait :). Here's hoping that they'll make a difference to the collisions.

I also hope that the driving aids are tweaked as well, I find that having Stability control on makes the car stick to the road too much in comparison to having it turned off, and making spin recoveries easier too. There needs to be better balance somehow.

Btw, those sketches for the menu layout look much better!

Tug

Team Bugbear Member
Please put the flywheel before the clutch / torque converter on the drive train rather than between the transmission and the drive axle.

Tug

Team Bugbear Member
Last post in news was really by me 2 days ago? People losing interest.

Frisker

Weeked Smasher
Tug said:
Last post in news was really by me 2 days ago? People losing interest.
IMO the past week has been somewhat quiet on the forum. I don't know why though.
But I'm sure that the next update, when it comes, is going to bring the people back and probably bunch of new members aswell.

dgrams2003

Just like any other game, lack of game activity means lack on the community boards. I'm sure once we get to the point of something new getting close, business will pick up. I remember a post somewhere saying something about maybe another update around Christmas or end of year... can't remember who or where it was said... but with that being said and no other news coming out on a regular business... I haven't had the urge to stop by every day like I was before.

I'm glad update 46 came out and it looks like Bugbear is working hard... but even that update was a long time in the making.

Conte Zero

Crash hard, then crash harder.
Full time wrecker
dgrams2003 said:
I'm glad update 46 came out and it looks like Bugbear is working hard... but even that update was a long time in the making.
Yes, and despite the hard work, Bugbears must focus on a primary point: people tend to loose interest an faith, no matter how cool or hyped the subject is.
No infos, no (small) reports on a regular basis, this policy leads to one thing: loss of interest and trust. Even a couple pics of the staff working at the studio, or the worse screenshot available, posted weekly, would keep the community's attention high since everybody here is craving for the game and related news. And a little report would take 5 (five) minutes of BB's precious time.
My opinion.

freddy

Conte Zero said:
Yes, and despite the hard work, Bugbears must focus on a primary point: people tend to loose interest an faith, no matter how cool or hyped the subject is.
OK, everybody loves news and new content.
On the other hand (I played every major race game since they exist) I saw some game ending sadly because with every new patch there was a new bug, and old bugs not solved ...
And peopel hate when the handling of the cars change (for me it is already pretty good now), so please dont screw up this when introducing the tires. Some of us are looking at they lap time and will hate if this work would be lost. And yes I know it is wreckfest and the race part is only a part.

Conte Zero

Crash hard, then crash harder.
Full time wrecker
freddy said:
OK, everybody loves news and new content.
On the other hand (I played every major race game since they exist) I saw some game ending sadly because with every new patch there was a new bug, and old bugs not solved ...
I meant lack of comunication, ANY communication. My point is not begging for new content every week or stressing the devs until they give us a new car.
Communicating means keeping your community alive and close to you

some weeks I could appreciate even a "guys, it's been a s*** week and we have no good news, in fact maybe we'll have to re-code a huge part of the game, so no new content. Here's a pic of Tero while he gets whipped on his back"
Just sayin.