Week #48 Report

T

Team Bugbear

All right,

Here’s what Team Bugbear is working on. Well, part of it anyway – there are a lot of smaller items that we’re addressing while working on the bigger things, of course, but let’s go over the larger plans and discuss the details when the next build is ready :)

The main thing to keep in mind is that ALL OF THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE. We may encounter technical difficulties, run into bugs, discover imminent disasters just waiting to happen and so on, that push the release of these features back a bit. They’re still coming, but we can’t be 100% sure that all of these will make it to the next build, or that the next build will indeed be ready for holidays.

First up, the function that’s probably been the Top 1 Desired Thing for many: the option to disable the Reset function. That’s right – set up a server, click on that toggle, and nobody on your server can use the Reset for any reason whatsoever. It’s not the perfect solution, as you can e.g. get fly off the road and land behind a wall, or get completely stuck on a ditch, but we’ll figure out a more elegant execution later on. The main thing is that finally you can eliminate reset griefers from your server.

Next, server filters. We plan to add several filters to the mix, so that players can freely seek certain tracks, game modes, car classes or ping rates. Your basic stuff, really, but all of it something that is certainly necessary for a decent multiplayer experience. What the final version of the filter list will be is different than the work-in-progress mockup screen below, but we’re sure you’ll get the gist of it :)

The servers will also be able to write up a custom greetings message for all joining players, so you’ll have nice, convenient way of laying down the rules anyone logging on to your server must obey, lest they face your wrath.

One of the new major functions is the ability to switch cars and tracks in the lobby. No more quitting the race so that you can choose a different car! No more logging off so you, as a host, can change the track. All of this can be done from lobby, and it should be an easy thing to pull off while the timer counts for the next race to start.

In addition to these, we’re busy developing the new tire physics for the engine. This will change a lot of things in the game, so we want to be happy with the results before we give it the green light. This, of all the features mentioned above, is most likely to be pushed back, but them’s the breaks – it’s being worked on, it’s going to be so cool, but it may not happen just yet :)

That’s it for now, folks! We’ll keep you appraised if and when there’ll be changes to the program. Next week we'll talk about what the track team is working on and show you some environmental improvements as well, so do stay tuned, and come talk with us on our forums! We're always happy to hear what you have to say :)

Be safe, and smile to a stranger today,

Team Bugbear

Nice report! Loving the new additions you guys are working on. Maybe now we're done with people complaining that there is no communication while these things where already being told everywhere on the forum ;D

I can't wait to be able to play on a server without having to get pulled out of the 'gaming experience' cause i want to play on a different track!!! It will be a big relief :)

J

Jelco

Good news but not for singleplayer because there isnt any...

Hep!

Weeked Smasher
It's sounds good!

I see on the screenshot the ability to filter games by vehicule category. It would be very good if you implement this because, even without new track, it could offer a new way to play. Everybody take the Muscle2, and it would be good to force players to change, the game is not the same with another car.

Hep! said:
It's sounds good!

I see on the screenshot the ability to filter games by vehicule category. It would be very good if you implement this because, even without new track, it could offer a new way to play. Everybody take the Muscle2, and it would be good to force players to change, the game is not the same with another car.
The host can set a restriction based on car class, e.g. only B-class and below. Any car by itself will be allowed, but you need to fit it with parts that honor the restriction, or you will be auto-kicked when the race starts. There is an excellent chance this will land in the next build.

ztox

Love the ability to disable reset! Excellent stuff.

Good to hear that you are working on an elegant solution for the reset grief but please leave the option to disable it in there when you do. I like the risk of a DNF from an unfortunate roll etc :)

Pointy

Team Bugbear Member
Thanks for the update BB.

I really hope they all make it into the next build as every one of those features is on my wish list.

Fingers crossed!

Les

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Tapio Vierros said:
Hep! said:
It's sounds good!

The host can set a restriction based on car class, e.g. only B-class and below. Any car by itself will be allowed, but you need to fit it with parts that honor the restriction, or you will be auto-kicked when the race starts. There is an excellent chance this will land in the next build.
Is there any chance you could set these restrictions based on the points given to each chassis and not just class A,B,C?
Then you could e.g set restriction to 172 points allowing the small block v8 (302) engine in the sedan (169 points) but not allowing it in the american muscle 2 (187 points).

Jaykinch

On the reset thing can't u do it like GTA where u push left or right to get ya car back on 4 wheels and do a reset button when u off the track but puts u back at the start line/ pits

Keep up the great work guys

Oh what about a lap counter for when u join a session mid game u know how long the wait is

Cheers

chuckskyline

Master Blaster
Seems like a lot of multiplayer stuff..

One thing being worked on to actually 'progress' the game.. the tire physics.

I don't see adding more multiplayer functions as 'progress' to the game.. Shouldn't the racing portion of the game being.. the priority and not multiplayer?

I didn't buy the game to just have be an online racer...

A year later, and I've put less then 2hrs in this game.. and I haven't seen much progress for the racing portion of the game...

conso1727

From Italy
Full time wrecker
I can't wait to see this stuff in action, it would improve the multiplayer experience A LOT

John Burning

Create, destroy and dominate!
Team Bugbear Member
Hello, Bugbears!
So!
1 - Disable the Reset function. Yeah, I like this! It's gonna mekr racing more responsible and it's gonna be funny. But I'm not sure that all the games will love this feauture.
2 - Server filters. ++++! I got nothing to say, you should make it.
3 - Switch cars and tracks in the lobby. Yeah! Sure!
4 - New tire physics. Yeah, make it deflatable for some game modes, for example.

Waiting for an update!

Stay awesome, Bugbears, make it the best, as always :)

SunnyNewEngland

Master Blaster
Team Bugbear Member
Team Bugbear said:
...we’re busy developing the new tire physics for the engine. This will change a lot of things in the game, so we want to be happy with the results before we give it the green light.
^ This makes me positively giddy. Please let us know as much as you can how this will change things.

Keep it up, Team Bugbear. And in case you forgot, I'd just like to remind you that you guys are the greatest!

Saint Jimmy

http://www.youtube.com/StJimmyCOD
Great news, always much appreciated! Sympathetic last sentence as well. :)
I just upgraded my game to the deluxe version, thank you guys for developing this, it's awesome.

Wurzsag

Master Blaster
chuckskyline said:
Seems like a lot of multiplayer stuff..

One thing being worked on to actually 'progress' the game.. the tire physics.

I don't see adding more multiplayer functions as 'progress' to the game.. Shouldn't the racing portion of the game being.. the priority and not multiplayer?
New tire physics is pretty big thing for a racing game. They got to get the basics done before going fully into final game content. Like building a house, eh? :p And I believe that the tire physics upgrade isn't the only thing they are working on. It's just one concrete thing they can easily give us to wait for. At least I hope that's the case.

What comes to multiplayer stuff..
- Disable the Reset function
- Server filters
- Switch cars and tracks in the lobby
These improvements aren't so revolutionary if you ask me. I have no idea but I think it doesn't require too much work to add those simple mechanics to the game. And as they stressed, even these aren't set in stone yet. Catastrophe is possible. Also I don't mean to understate Bugbears work here. Just wanted to point out that tire physics is far more bigger improvement than some minor improvements on multiplayer.

Finally I'd like to add that with those multiplayer improvements they can keep people satisfied and allow us to have more fun with the Alpha-Wreckfest while they are getting it all together. Unquestionably Wreckfest is already much fun on it's current state but personally I'm trying to wait closer to the release so there will be something new to experience then.

(I had just one thing to say... no idea how this turned into a wall of text, again. :D)