Week #5 Update

T

Team Bugbear

So!

This week the Wreckfest blog is all about game design. We’ll give you a glimpse on what we’re working on, and how those processes are approached.

What the game designer does is best explained in this wonderful blog post "The Door Problem" by Liz England, and we truly recommend you give it a read.

As game designers try to know why, what and when everything happens in a game, and what the game is expected to do, one of Wreckfest's biggest game design challenges is physics. Even without the difficulties of coding the physics engine in the first place, tuning the physics is an utterly complicated and convoluted process. We need to hone the balance between all the aspects of how the parts function – for example, car suspension has qualities that must be put into numeric values, like length, rigidity and such. Of these values eight are such that altering them produces a completely different driving experience. And we’re talking about suspension alone!

This is why tuning the physics requires an awful amount of testing by trial and error. That’s why there’s always someone sitting in our official test bench, playing a track, adjusting a slider, playing some more, adjusting another slider, and repeating that for weeks on end. Literally. Fortunately, this test of focus and patience is not a one-man job – we have several experts present who know how physics and cars work, and they constantly discuss how the game and physics feel and what needs to be done next.

And yes, there’s work to be done, like this video shows us.

While the physics team works their wonders on car handling, others focus on player progression. This is almost equally important, as it affects everything outside the track proper. The questions we face include how experience opens tech tree, how to purchase new items, will there be a crafting system and if so, what will it be like, and how various parts wear out and what effect durability has? All examples go much, much deeper than one sentence can deliver – e.g. durability contains questions like how fast will the parts wear out, what will their repair cost, will the maximum durability lower with each repair so that the player has to replace the part eventually, how will the part be replaced, and how will all this be presented to the player in a meaningful way that is not only informative and clear, but also cool and fun!

With all these, we’re finally settling on a model that should provide a system that is simple to use but complex within. The first iteration of the system is already in the build, but it needs a bit more work before we’re ready to show it to you. Let’s just say that we ourselves are pretty happy with it, so it’s probably going to be all right :)

That's it for this week! And, as always, our dear friends and followers:
Stay safe.

-Team Bugbear

M

Mopower

Thanks for the update. AfTer reading that article I understand a little better why game design takes so Damn long. I am a little more curious to see what the progression and tuning levels are like but I suppose you gotta hide those things :p

Cornkid

Yada Yada - Actions speak louder
Full time wrecker
Thanks for the weekly news Jori, appreciate it .

I dont wish to seem demanding, but I was hoping for more info as your post last week had led me to believe we would be getting specifics of game features ;-

"In other news, and these are much more on the “good news” variety of news, game feature design is well under way. We’re settling down on what kind of tech tree we’ll include in the game, what the character progression will be like, what kind of effects the condition of upgrade parts will have on car performance, what part the parts play in general, and so on. Interesting times, and there’s much, much more we’d like to say – but that’ll have to wait until next week’s blog, which will be all about new features that revolve around the career mode."

New info was that stuff has been incorporated into the build, so thats a plus. I didnt read "much, much more" as I was hoping for.

Rant over, have a good weekend guys ;)

Frisker

Weeked Smasher
I demand a better picture of those sketches! I cannot read the papers! I need to see what'd written there :D

But great to see new update; I see you have acknowledged the fact that community wants more updates - keep it up! Also, thanks.

Don't worry Frisker I think I've sussed it.

According to the second, right hand image, if you get to tier 4 you get a free washing machine. Then, once you get to the tier above, you get a microwave.

Washing machine = very useful after very frightening online races

Saint Jimmy

http://www.youtube.com/StJimmyCOD
Thanks for the information, particularly the schemes of player progression, really appreciating the insight there.
I took some moments to compile a news recap of the last few news posts including commentary, so if you want to take a look, here you go.
Keep the news coming, it does get better every time!

Hone McBone

Full time wrecker
Thanks for the updates, glad to hear so much work is being done on the physics for the handling.

Regarding the upgrade system, please have an actual removing/installing parts process & not just an unlock or tier system, the tipping point for me backing back in the day was that street rod 2 was an influence so I'm hoping for a repair system that takes notes from that.

Cornkid

Full time wrecker
Saint Jimmy said:
Thanks for the information, particularly the schemes of player progression, really appreciating the insight there.
I took some moments to compile a news recap of the last few news posts including commentary, so if you want to take a look, here you go.

Keep the news coming, it does get better every time!
Very informative video (burp)

I hope you are wrong in your guess of march for next game update, steam forum may self destruct by then ;)

Great idea to stick all info in 1 spot, I salute you sir .

conso1727

From Italy
Full time wrecker
Did you write that stuff in English just for us, or you usually speak and write in English in the office? :eek:

Cornkid

Full time wrecker
conso1727 said:
Did you write that stuff in English just for us, or you usually speak and write in English in the office? :eek:
The top paper, wrote in black isnt in english I think,

The second in black, is,

the third is blue and English,

and the final one is black ink and english,

This would suggest they were done on different days with different pens, and thats about all that can be deduced from them.

Miss Marple has nothing on me (english tv programme)

conso1727 said:
We talk Finnish at the office but we mostly write in English because we are making the game in English, so it's just natural to do so :)

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Good to hear something other than 'still working on physics'. Not much to really get excited over this week though.
Early concepts for A>B>C vs A>B/C>D/E are not very interesting to look at. Would have prefer some more in depth descriptions,possible notions or how things will be implemented,or pictures that were possible to read.
I guess you don't know yet. Better than nothing i suppose.

Any early models of new cars/tracks/routes to be seen?

Cornkid

Full time wrecker
So after consulting the bat cave (enlarging pics) only sheets 2 and 4 have english. hmmm, the plot thickens..

(I need to get a life, give me physics update next week please)

conso1727

From Italy
Full time wrecker
Cornkid said:
So after consulting the bat cave (enlarging pics) only sheets 2 and 4 have english. hmmm, the plot thickens..

I'm quite sure the murderer is the butler, but I have heavy suspects on Janne as well.

Cornkid

Full time wrecker
conso1727 said:
Cornkid said:

I'm quite sure the murderer is the butler, but I have heavy suspects on Janne as well.
Nah, Janne had mental stability control on full, I guess someone else without assists did it ;)

Ving

Hone McBone said:
Thanks for the updates, glad to hear so much work is being done on the physics for the handling.

Regarding the upgrade system, please have an actual removing/installing parts process & not just an unlock or tier system, the tipping point for me backing back in the day was that street rod 2 was an influence so I'm hoping for a repair system that takes notes from that.
I totally agree here.

Please, if your going to bother with a parts system any more complex than the current even, please do not make it a system of 'the next one is better than the other' and 'one set of top tier parts trumps everything else'.

Otherwise what you have is simply a useless grind.

What you will need is redundancy, with slight differences, and variables that favor different situations, and combo's that create a myriad of viable options.

If you want a REALLY great ground breaking system? Talk to someone who played Motor City Online, or look it up, (if you can find the details anywhere anymore). SERIOUSLY. Take a look at the parts type list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_City_Online Each of those categories, had several variants. You had a dyno you could test them on. The parts combo's could actually damage your parts, due to stress, IE a blower would lower the life-span of parts in a non-linear and sim fashion, burn your pistons etc. You had flatheads to hemi's, and not just the late 60's hemi's but the early ones. Y blocks. Big blocks. Small blocks. Carbs, rare fuel injectors. Cranks, cams, on and on. And an economy system where you could buy them as well.

If your just going with 1 set of parts per tier though? Dont even bother putting much time into it. Just give us some damn sliders like every racing title since MCO, and focus on getting the rest of the game done.

Either do it right and extensive, or dont spend a bunch of time on a MMO like fantasy skill tree. Thats fluff, and transparent. If you cant/won't do it proper, then just give us everything and let us race, rather than giving us a transparent and annoying grind, that has nothing to do with cars and really tweeking them.

Personally I think youd look ground breaking and have something to brag and advertise about, if you take this advice. If you want to stand apart from the crowd and create a unique experience and following, there's your hint, if your looking for one.