Week #5 Update

Calamann

I'm from germany
Weeked Smasher
yes, you're right. I want a perfect update, too. But now its time for an update :D No, sorry. Only you guys at Bugbear know when its time for an update ;)

Iwasawa

Weeked Smasher
My problem is, you guys told us before christmas or so that you NEARLY finished a new build, and that was more than 2 months ago, but still nothing..

Usmovers_02

Full time wrecker
Yeah the delay has me down too :( Honestly for me the game as it stands is essentially unplayable on a 360 controller. The less than subtle handling being the main culprit. Really looking forward to the new physics model and I hope it applies well to the 360 pad.

B

BrianUK

Usmovers_02 said:
Yeah the delay has me down too :( Honestly for me the game as it stands is essentially unplayable on a 360 controller. The less than subtle handling being the main culprit. Really looking forward to the new physics model and I hope it applies well to the 360 pad.
Have you had a fiddle with the settings? I've been using near default settings and I've never had a problem.

Rabbit80

BrianUK said:
Usmovers_02 said:
Have you had a fiddle with the settings? I've been using near default settings and I've never had a problem.
I have to agree.. The handling is pretty good on the 360 controller - Not quite as fast as you guys with wheels and shifters, but not a huge way off. Never adjusted any settings either!

kennta340

Full time wrecker
Usmovers_02 said:
It works good to me ! And I use Brians settings for the xbox controller and its almost default :)

M

Mopower

I have the 360 pad too... I may need to tweak the settings a bit more, but I'm not sure what to do... I do think the car's handling may be a bit off, but it's pretty close in my eyes.

To Chuck, I disagree that the vision of the game has changed. Though, like USmovers said, when they got more money, they were able to EXPAND upon their ideas, but I don't think they ever changed. The only thing that changed was that they were able to do more with the game than they had originally thought. Instead of building the bone stock, no power anything car. They get to build one that at least has power steering, maybe cruise control, and possibly even power windows in the front. Hopefully you get the analogy.

Usmovers_02

Full time wrecker
I've never had to tweak the settings in Forza or Flatout 1 or 2. I don't think I should have to for this either.

rwb

Weeked Smasher
Try messing with the settings; since we're EA, if you find drastic improvement with a particular change, that may be useful to Bugbear for fine tuning standard controller settings.

I did race with my X360 controller for the first time in a long time (since the previous update) this evening. I didn't think it was unusable at all, but 5 minutes of practice notwithstanding I was 4-5 seconds slower around Sandpit versus wheel. I do honestly feel like the gamepad optimization is well tuned, but you're not the only one to say it's not so there's something doing...

Henkka77

Full time wrecker
Usmovers_02 said:
I've never had to tweak the settings in Forza or Flatout 1 or 2. I don't think I should have to for this either.
Sorry but i have to ask, how did you get your moderator status if you dont know even the difference between pre-alpha and a final product? And even better, youre comparing Xbox game to PC game.

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
They get to build one that at least has power steering, maybe cruise control, and possibly even power windows in the front. Hopefully you get the analogy.
Not sure how you would use cruise control to your advantage in a race... ;D

M

Mopower

Lari Fari said:
They get to build one that at least has power steering, maybe cruise control, and possibly even power windows in the front. Hopefully you get the analogy.
Not sure how you would use cruise control to your advantage in a race... ;D
Smart ass lol. They're building a game with more features :p You knew what I meant.

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
Rektist said:
I wanted to add another suggestion (not about guns and explosions this time) to add a sound to the text in chat in lobby. If I minimize the game waiting for a race to finish a little ticking noise every time a msg is posted will alert me to the lobby being back up and the next race readying.
Something like this will certainly happen. We'll overhaul the menus and the UI anyway, and add more stuff there, like rewards and statistics from the race. Those will be accompanied by sound effects -- eventually :)
We could place a placeholder in there, I think. I'll ask :)

crazychris4124 said:
Would prefer if they released smaller patches more frequently that focus on issues with multiplayer, AI and other things that have nothing to do with physics.
Yeah, this is absolutely a major drag. If it only were just that easy to split the in-development builds in two, so one could work on physics and another something else, but it's not that simple, unfortunately. We have only one build in development (with backups, naturally), which means everything that's developed adds to that one mass, and all those features are released in one go.
We are looking for a possible beta branching on Steam, so those who want to play with a very likely buggy play set can do so :)

Serenya

Weeked Smasher
Henkka77 said:
Usmovers_02 said:
Sorry but i have to ask, how did you get your moderator status if you dont know even the difference between pre-alpha and a final product? And even better, youre comparing Xbox game to PC game.
Sorry but I have to ask, what does this have to do with being a moderator? :D

Also, if some find the default controls good already, why change those? No matter is it pre-alpha or a final product. Even better, the "final" game these days is the one you have after the last update before developers finally abandon their old creation. It used to be different in 80s and 90s, but not anymore.

Anyhow, I feel I'm fine even with my keyboard after some slight adjustments, so I think I don't need to buy a gamepad any soon.

Tug

Team Bugbear Member
Jori Virtanen said:
which means everything that's developed adds to that one mass
This is a temporary thing due to a specific stage in development under particular circumstances, right? Perhaps small more rapid updates in the future?

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
BackStab said:
Jori Virtanen said:
which means everything that's developed adds to that one mass
This is a temporary thing due to a specific stage in development under particular circumstances, right? Perhaps small more rapid updates in the future?
That's the plan. Physics are the biggest bulk of development we face, and once we get those in passable order, we'll focus on other features on a hopefully more regular basis.