Week #50: The Holiday Update

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Mohasz said:
sam223 said:
I think so,dont quote me on this as it was a long time ago.But im sure someone said theyd already made over $1,000,000 early last year in sales.
Does that amount count as 'much' in game development? I hope it will be more than enough. I know huge games can eat up dozens of millions of dollars but Wreckfest and BB is sure not in the same category.
Im not sure either to be honest. Im not sure what the devs are paid either. Google says the average game dev salary is $84,337. so $1,000,000 would be enough to pay half the dev team (they have about 20 i think in total) for a year with about $160,000 left for office maintenance

Let's end the speculations once and for all...

We definitely aren't filthy rich and our salaries are below that average (but it's still good enough to provide for a family), but I can say that we are very happy with the sales, considering this is in early access and pc only so far. So the prospects look good. Not Minecraft good, but good for a niche racing game. :) Obviously there's still a lot of work to do which means more costs, so it's not like we can develop this forever, don't worry (not that even we would like that). :)

So, please, let's talk more about the game and less about our economy.

On that note, here's why the build is taking a while.

Majatek

Posts generated by this user derive from consensus
Full time wrecker
Master Blaster
Team Bugbear Member
Let's not forget it's good for a niche racing game that supposedly had no market. ;)

Frisker

Weeked Smasher
Majatek said:
Let's not forget it's good for a niche racing game that supposedly had no market. ;)
Oh, right. I'd really love to see picture of the publisher guy who said there is no market ;)

Okay now I stop talking that way of publishers.. some of them do good job too.

B

BrianUK

Lari Fari said:
Reportedly, very early in the Early Access phase they made 1 million in revenue in just one week.

I am just guessing, but I would say they have many millions in revenue in their account. This should keep them running for a while. And sales are still pretty good I think. So no worries here.
Revenue, generally and according to IAS 18, is a term used for the inflow of cash (economic benefits) before any expenses, all the way up to and including cost of sales, distribution costs, administration, tax and all the rest of it is taken away. While I don't know what the net profit percentage is, I'm sure they didn't get nearly as much as the revenue suggests.

Turning the trainee accountant side of me off, I'm sure they have ample cash to support development for the foreseeable future.

Fisu

BrianUK said:
Lari Fari said:
Reportedly, very early in the Early Access phase they made 1 million in revenue in just one week.

I am just guessing, but I would say they have many millions in revenue in their account. This should keep them running for a while. And sales are still pretty good I think. So no worries here.
Revenue is a term used for the inflow of cash (economic benefits) before any expenses, all the way up to and including cost of sales, distribution costs, administration, tax and all the rest of it is taken away. While I don't know what the net profit percentage is, I'm sure they didn't get nearly as much as the revenue suggests.

Turning the trainee accountant side of me off, I'm sure they have ample cash to support development for the foreseeable future.
With little calculation 1M€ is about yearly cost of 20 workers in Finland.

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
BrianUK said:
Lari Fari said:

Revenue, generally and according to IAS 18, is a term used for the inflow of cash (economic benefits) before any expenses, all the way up to and including cost of sales, distribution costs, administration, tax and all the rest of it is taken away. While I don't know what the net profit percentage is, I'm sure they didn't get nearly as much as the revenue suggests.

Hehe thanks! But I did know that although.... yeah the way I put it wasn't accurate. Of course the entire "revenue" is not in their "bank account" as they must have spent some of it. What I was trying to say was, that I am sure that theres enough left in their account to go on :)

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale
Weeked Smasher
BrianUK said:
Lari Fari said:

Just to elaborate, "revenue" is money from sales/service BEFORE any expenses such as payroll, taxes, cost of materials (software/computers), office expenses, interest on loans, etc.

Net "income" is generally referred to as profit, the money left over after those expenses listed above :)