Weekly Report #10

findRED

Full time wrecker
Tero, you're doing a great job!

The Idea you guys have for the career sounds great!
Tero said:
We've played Hot Rod and while there are interesting designs there, we don't want to restrict players with a linear flow like a literal calendar or championship (this might change but current vision is somewhat like this).

It's more about living the life.

When you go to event selection, there will be single events, there will be tournaments, and you can play them all solo or with other players online. But it's you who decide which event you want to go to today, with car(s) you want to drive with.

If we also have xp for each car for certain unlocks, that's (part of) your progress and something to aim for, similar to playing with certain class in Battlefield to unlock more guns and gear to that class. We have other designs in mind too but I won't spoil you with all at once. :) It's not going to be "race-repair-upgrade-repeat" without any purpose.
And Props for the Fifth Element gif!
Tero said:

Frisker

Weeked Smasher
Mopower said:
Tero, read my last post. And to everyone else, the reason you play singleplayer career is because you don't want to play multiplayer career. Just like in cs, you play multiplayer matches instead of ai matches. Which one is better? Multiplayer. Why is it better? You're playing against real people. So what?-what could possibly be the issue with choosing whether you want multiplayer or single player carer? Who cares if you're the only one playing singleplayer, it's not like you lose bots for singleplayer because they had to go play multiplayer career.

So explain to me what negatives there are to haVing a single player career. If you don't think they should be seamless, pretend they aren't and just play singleplayer career without coming into multiplayer. How is that so hard to figure out? The rest of us will play single or multi career with ease and enjoy ourselves
CS has no career, therefore there's no progression. SWAT 4 came to my mind as an example, it does have online, which is pretty different from the SP game(But that's a tactical shooter, so in that part they're not comparable), and also it has co-op, and single player. In SP, you play the game, and you finish a level, you get to new level and so on. In the DLC Stechkov Syndicate you even unlock new weapons and gear. The Co-op multiplayer is basically the same as single player, you go through the game as SWAT team and clear out the suspects and save hostages, same way as in SP, but I don't like the online play. I prefer to play by myself, do things by my own phase, take my own time.
Sure, in racing it's hectic anyway, be it against bots or people, but what I'm trying to say, that I actually enjoy playing against computer many times. Not so much as against real people. CS and SWAT 4 are though one of the games I've played most online(Along with roleplay servers on San Andreas Multiplayer, and as for SWAT 4, I still have played it more in SP mode), but that's only because in those games the multiplayer simply changes the game completely. Or practically there is no single player in CS, it's multiplayer alone. SA:MP roleplay servers are nothing like GTA:SA base game(Search for roleplay from Google if you don't know what it is), and SWAT 4 offers competitive gameplay online, which is not available in single player. Like I said, it's a tactical shooter.

So Imma go with those examples, an actual career mode can bring so much to a game. If the career mode offline is identical to online, there really is no point playing it offline, thus rendering it basically online only game. And I don't like that.

Frisker said:
So Imma go with those examples, an actual career mode can bring so much to a game. If the career mode offline is identical to online, there really is no point playing it offline, thus rendering it basically online only game. And I don't like that.
It's not that there's no actual career, it's just not glorified, linear, SP only career. The game wont be similar to just playing against bots on CS. Like said, it will be closer to World of Tanks / War Thunder with the option to play the maps against AI, without the always online requirement. So the depth is still there.

M

Mopower

Tero said:
Purple44 said:
Hmm, that give me a question, can I save two versions of this car then in career mode?

One race version ( may need 3 versions for tarmac, dirt and snow setups ) and one derby version? Or will I have to take the time to swap in derby parts to go derbying, then swap back race parts to go racing?
It depends. There's no definite answer yet, sorry. We've been talking about saving setups for easy switching of parts before race, but switching between derby and race setups... maybe, maybe not. The problem with it is that afaik (I'm not a gear head) in real life you make quite radical changes to the car, and some of them are pretty permanent, like making the frame more light weight (for racing) or more durable (for derby). They are not the changes you would expect a garage crew being able to do at the pit area of a race/derby. So in that light, I think what we want is you to own two cars, one for racing and one for derbying if you want to best perfomance from both. And within that car you could have different quickly changeable setups for different tracks/playstyles.
Which would be a great reason to be able to have multiple of each car.

And thank you Tero for relieving me. I would like to point out that the really high end guys can spend 2k on a good roundback wagon or suicide door Lincoln shell, no parts inside it. If they're really clean, they can bring more yet, but that's not very often

Heddly

FOJ Supporter/Modder
Team Bugbear Member
Mopower said:
Lari Fari said:
Simple. You have only ONE career. I play online most of the time. But what if late some night there are no servers with enough players near me. Then I can just start my own event or choose an offline event drom a list. Then I can continue in my career offline until theres a server up, or a slot becomes free in a running server.

Thanks for laying it out there Lary. I believe this is Bugbear's exact motive. So that people can go on or offline with their own stuff.

And personally, I want to be able to have my career online so that I can feel like I'm not beating a computer, but I"m beating people. Also, as Lari said, it'd be great if late at night I want to do some derbies but there's no lobbies for it open. (I have crappy upload so can't really host) So I just go do some singleplayer stuff and I can continue with ease on my career build for multiplayer.
I would like to have the "on or offline with their own stuff" career mode and an option for additional career modes, for a guest who wants to play the game and not damage your progress. Would this be possible?

M

Mopower

Heddly said:
Mopower said:
Lari Fari said:
Simple. You have only ONE career. I play online most of the time. But what if late some night there are no servers with enough players near me. Then I can just start my own event or choose an offline event drom a list. Then I can continue in my career offline until theres a server up, or a slot becomes free in a running server.

Thanks for laying it out there Lary. I believe this is Bugbear's exact motive. So that people can go on or offline with their own stuff.

And personally, I want to be able to have my career online so that I can feel like I'm not beating a computer, but I"m beating people. Also, as Lari said, it'd be great if late at night I want to do some derbies but there's no lobbies for it open. (I have crappy upload so can't really host) So I just go do some singleplayer stuff and I can continue with ease on my career build for multiplayer.
I would like to have the "on or offline with their own stuff" career mode and an option for additional career modes, for a guest who wants to play the game and not damage your progress. Would this be possible?
That's a pretty good idea. Hopefully even if it's not a guest, you could do that in non-career multiplayer or practice single player.

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
Heddly said:
That's one of the reasons we want to include a so-called unlocked game mode where everything is available (but of course you won't make any character progression either). That way casual players can set up their own party games without having to grind countless of hours to have what you want -- but on the other hand, you wouldn't have to spend any time to get all you want. We'll see if that Unlocked mode will happen.
On the other hand, a guest player wouldn't damage your career. Just take the race to an Unranked server (like those running mods or whatever), and your progress won't be recorder, and neither will be your cars be damaged.

It's complicated :)

Jori Virtanen

Purple44 said:
would game let me own two 1973 "Nova"s? Or would derby car have be a different car from my racing car?
Well, we're toying with two possibilities. One is that as each car "levels up", you'll have multiple choices as what permanent bonuses this will bring, like reinforced chassis vs. better acceleration, more armor vs. more top speed and so on. Sort of choosing a different path for the car, and making that car shine in that area. This way having multiple cars of the same model would be nice, because you could then own the same car with different base modifications. The other option is that we won't have permanent modifications at all, at which point owning the same car multiple times becomes moot: one is enough, because you can just switch the upgrade parts as need arises. (This will need pre-saved configurations so you can easily switch from one setup to another, but we'll have that functionality anyway :) )

Jori Virtanen

Purple44 said:
Will a player get some $$ if finish 12th in a 24 player race or derby? At 13th or lower, you get nothing? If get DNF in a race, do you get any $$.
Yeah, you will. That's one of my top priorities in designing player progression for Wreckfest: nothing you do takes anything away from you, and everything you do helps you get further. This means that you will get money and experience from every race you are in, whether or not you manage to finish it.

Also, the size of the rewards will indeed depend on how many players are in a race. Bots will, in all likelihood, bring in less than human counterparts simply because AI is easier to win, and isn't as devious as real people are, but this will become clearer when we see how good an AI we can implement.

Purple44 said:
I've seen oval races where only a few players finish the race. Will a 10 lap oval race pay more than a 5 lap race?
In all likelihood, yes. The longer the race, the bigger the chances that your car is damaged. Replacing upgrade parts costs money, and since longer races damage those parts more, it makes sense then that longer races give you more money, right?

This becomes complicated really fast, when you try to make it a fair all-around solution for races. An example: balancing this basic system of "lap count + player count + AI count + survived laps count + game mode modifier" is very difficult, and that's just scratching the surface :)

Needles Kane

Weeked Smasher
Jori you did triple post; I report to moderator!

Edit.
we want to include a so-called unlocked game mode
Also for single player? My 5 year old little brother also plays WF and I don't want his fooling ruin my career mode. And on the other hand, because he always drives backwards or park across the track, he can't progress in career mode, thus never get new cars to drive.

Jori Virtanen

Needles Kane said:
we want to include a so-called unlocked game mode
Also for single player? My 5 year old little brother also plays WF and I don't want his fooling ruin my career mode. And on the other hand, because he always drives backwards or park across the track, he can't progress in career mode, thus never get new cars to drive.
Oh, he'll eventually get a new car. Everything you do will earn you money, so it's just a matter of time. (Then again, a 5-year old's attention span might not last that long ;) )
But the Unlocked mode I talked about might not happen for various reasons. We'll see. We might instead/also include separate profiles so you can share the game with someone, or create various personas to have fun with (And that multiple profile thingy won't help you cheat, by the way, since we check SteamID, not your career persona ;) )