Weekly Report #11

B

BrianUK

Dillinja187 said:
Its Amazing !, how and why people just cant wait for the update is beyond me, we have had apologies plus the answers and reasons for the long wait so just suck it up, also in pipe line talks that it wont happen again and possible 2 build situation after this forthcoming release which should please everyone (well...most).

Trust me I would like this update as much as the next man (500 hrs Deep) but all this bickering and sly jabs to BB doesn't help anyone and its getting a real bore to read the same shit over n over within different threads man.
It's getting boring to see people moaning about people moaning, but we sure love doing that as well, huh?

I agree and disagree at the same time. I'm in favour of people voicing their discontent as long as it's constructive. It doesn't even have to be useful. I've waited as long as you, my patience is gone and yours hasn't, but I'm not allowed to have a little grumble? When the players who have put hundreds of hours into the game start disappearing, as is already happening, we need something now, in the next 7 days even. Not next month, not in two weeks. Player levels will bounce back to a certain point, but if they fall too low you'll never get that kind of player traffic again.

This was billed as a Christmas/New Year update by Bugbear themselves, and no matter which way you cut it, that's what we all expected. We are 4 days from finishing Q1.

Bring on the 'disagree' votes people, seems to be the way we deal with discontent these days, even with constructive posts.

Fisu

BrianUK said:
Dillinja187 said:
Its Amazing !, how and why people just cant wait for the update is beyond me, we have had apologies plus the answers and reasons for the long wait so just suck it up, also in pipe line talks that it wont happen again and possible 2 build situation after this forthcoming release which should please everyone (well...most).

Trust me I would like this update as much as the next man (500 hrs Deep) but all this bickering and sly jabs to BB doesn't help anyone and its getting a real bore to read the same shit over n over within different threads man.
It's getting boring to see people moaning about people moaning, but we sure love doing that as well, huh?

I agree and disagree at the same time. I'm in favour of people voicing their discontent as long as it's constructive. It doesn't even have to be useful. I've waited as long as you, my patience is gone and yours hasn't, but I'm not allowed to have a little grumble? When the players who have put hundreds of hours into the game start disappearing, as is already happening, we need something now, in the next 7 days even. Not next month, not in two weeks. Player levels will bounce back to a certain point, but if they fall too low you'll never get that kind of player traffic again.

This was billed as a Christmas/New Year update by Bugbear themselves, and no matter which way you cut it, that's what we all expected. We are 4 days from finishing Q1.

Bring on the 'disagree' votes people, seems to be the way we deal with discontent these days, even with constructive posts.
It's friday and time is the prime time. Only couple servers and even hosts are also there to ruin the racing. It makes me feel that some is paying them to do that job. So much they like to jump in out lobbys and focus only players who are trying to race. They use TS and doing it well with packs.

Cornkid

Yada Yada - Actions speak louder
Full time wrecker
BrianUK said:
Dillinja187 said:

Sorry m8, you just took a down vote. I didnt at any point see where dill wasnt allowing a grumble.

I stopped using forums a month ago as quite frankly I got sick of the word "soon" and irregular updates that say we want to make a track, it may be round it may be square.

Non informative updates is how I see them.

Fk all about reports of any progress with regards to physics, just more news on what will come "soon"

I kinda think its hate posts that dill is referring to, and lets be honest there have been many recently, brought on by BB themselves.

Nowt against you Bri, but people moaning about people moaning about people moaning is even less spectacular.

B

BrianUK

Cornkid said:
Nowt against you Bri, but people moaning about people moaning about people moaning is even less spectacular.
I didn't moan about people moaning about people moaning. I put forward a counter-argument, define that as you will.

acid_andy

Cornkid said:
Are you moaning about people moaning about people moaning about people moaning, Cornkid?

I'll get me coat!

Cornkid

Full time wrecker
BrianUK said:
Cornkid said:
I didn't moan about people moaning about people moaning. I put forward a counter-argument, define that as you will.

I'm not gonna get drawn into a dictionary speak about the word moan m8.

You dissed dill for moaning about moaners, how did you mean it?

Cornkid

Full time wrecker
acid_andy said:
Cornkid said:
Are you moaning about people moaning about people moaning about people moaning, Cornkid?

I'll get me coat!
lol, sure as shit am, moaning about moaners, I woke up this morn and had that as my specific agenda.

damn, get youre coat, you've pulled ;)

Dillinja187

BrianUK said:
Dillinja187 said:

Disagree, Agree its cool either way :), have a whinge and moan like you said if you feel disgruntled. Im gutted its taken this long of course but what can we actually do about it in reality other than stamp feet in disgust ?. As I am sure we are both in it for the long haul personally im going to 1) Sit back 2) Relax 3) And enjoy the ride ;D

Also I Found this helps

Rabbit80

The real problem is that we aren't getting ANY information on how the game is progressing.

A look behind the scenes on how the design works is great, but doesn't answer the questions about progress.

What features are being worked on - new stuff?
What features are completed?
What is in the current build but too buggy or unstable for release?
What features and suggestions are being talked about in the design? (suggestions from the forums)
What are the current bugs?
What bugs are fixed?
What is the ETA for the build - is it being finalised, still weeks away or still months away?

I would like to see all these questions answered each week.

Edit: I don't think Bugbear have stopped working on this, but progress seems to have come to a crawl. What are all the team doing on a day to day basis or are bugbear down to just a couple of coders now? At this rate, we will be lucky to see a 2017 full release if Bugbear keep going that long!

Cornkid

Full time wrecker
Rabbit80 said:
The real problem is that we aren't getting ANY information on how the game is progressing.

A look behind the scenes on how the design works is great, but doesn't answer the questions about progress.

What features are being worked on - new stuff?
What features are completed?
What is in the current build but too buggy or unstable for release?
What features and suggestions are being talked about in the design? (suggestions from the forums)
What are the current bugs?
What bugs are fixed?
What is the ETA for the build - is it being finalised, still weeks away or still months away?

I would like to see all these questions answered each week.

Edit: I don't think Bugbear have stopped working on this, but progress seems to have come to a crawl. What are all the team doing on a day to day basis or are bugbear down to just a couple of coders now? At this rate, we will be lucky to see a 2017 full release if Bugbear keep going that long!
I agree entirely,

The last 3 weekly updates could of been wrote by anyone, not even in the dev team.

We will make tracks not too easy/hard,

We will make cars not too easy /hard,

We have ideas on new game modes, none of which will be too easy/ hard.

Weekly Reports should maybe get called "what we dream of doing" reports, as they have fk all facts about how the game has progressed from one week to another.

Lets be honest, the lack of physics update has annoyed us all, including the non physics devs on BB I imagine.

Last few weekly updates are just ignoring the fact that everyone wants to know how long it will be before xmas update.

I fully get that its hard to specify how long any particular physics issue will take to resolve, but theres never any specific info about that, hell, next update will probably tell us what pizza y'all prefer, and whilst thats great to know, it wont stop steam users saying game is dead.

I have faith and will wait for as long as it takes, but you guys are still poor at updates, as in you give us fk all info about current state of game, more just how we plan on making it, and we will correct it later if you dont agree how we made it.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
http://steamcommunity.com/app/228380/discussions/0/611701360837429680/#c611701999515995044

Jori;611701999515995044 said:
March 25
Jarbender;611701360841446978 said:
We would like to know when the update is coming, not explanations.
Sorry, can't give you a date. It's not that I don't want to, it's because I can't. The physics update is all about balancing, and every time we adjust a value it affects everything at the same time. In short, the physics update is a quagmire of values, and we have to adjust them mostly by trial and error. Since it has to be done this way, we can't give an estimate, because we don't know ourselves. What I can say is that we're frustratingly close, but not there yet :)
Build #7 we be ready when it ready. I have Distance and Gas Guzzlers Extreme with Zombies to keep me busy for now. And doing a Wreckfest tournament tonight. :)

M

Mopower

Since people seem to be complaining about the weekly updates. I understand that they can't really give us much about dumbed down stuff that we do. But if you look at the BeamNG crew, they give very detailed, very in depth, and throw around pretty terms and words. I don't mind when they do that since we're not getting an update. They sometimes try to teach you. For instance, Goosah, the new guy they hired to JUST work on the tires. He explained how the tires work and how they built an in-game tire testing machine like they have in real life. He posted graphs of elasticity, grip level, angle etc.... Pretty interesting stuff. Bugbear, don't be afraid to be very technical about what you tell us.

Cornkid has a point. You can tell us the stuff we know. (We plan on having cool cars, you can make the cars handle well, you can make the cars really fast, etc...) Or you could try to explain stuff that we don't know. ex: Today we were trying to get the right rebound/stiffness/rigidity of the suspension in the cars. We had trouble with getting this proper rebound for car "Y", even though it seemed to work properly, and we got the numbers we wanted on car "X." This caused car "Y" to have extremely bouncy and soft suspension with too much roll, but car "X" behaved just as it should as you can see the 2 in the next video.

You dig?

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
I'd rather see all manpower devoted to making progress in the actual fame development.

Writing up reports or even detailed description may be fun to read, but its precious dev-hours spent NOT working on the game itself.

Would you really want to sacrifice game-content for fancy reports?

Frisker

Weeked Smasher
Mopower said:
Since people seem to be complaining about the weekly updates. I understand that they can't really give us much about dumbed down stuff that we do. But if you look at the BeamNG crew, they give very detailed, very in depth, and throw around pretty terms and words. I don't mind when they do that since we're not getting an update. They sometimes try to teach you. For instance, Goosah, the new guy they hired to JUST work on the tires. He explained how the tires work and how they built an in-game tire testing machine like they have in real life. He posted graphs of elasticity, grip level, angle etc.... Pretty interesting stuff. Bugbear, don't be afraid to be very technical about what you tell us.

Cornkid has a point. You can tell us the stuff we know. (We plan on having cool cars, you can make the cars handle well, you can make the cars really fast, etc...) Or you could try to explain stuff that we don't know. ex: Today we were trying to get the right rebound/stiffness/rigidity of the suspension in the cars. We had trouble with getting this proper rebound for car "Y", even though it seemed to work properly, and we got the numbers we wanted on car "X." This caused car "Y" to have extremely bouncy and soft suspension with too much roll, but car "X" behaved just as it should as you can see the 2 in the next video.

You dig?
I'd love this. And Lari, Jori's a game designer, so afaik he's not personally working on the physics? So basically he'd just have to ask how it's going from a coder.

I guess. But fancy reports could make me come back on the forums more often too :D (Used to be here everyday almost 24/7, now I'm here once in 2 weeks or so)

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
I don't meen how fast the next build will come out. I'm seeing a bigger picture here.

Every dev hour not spent on game development is a dev hour not spent on game development ;-)

Tgrooms

Lari Fari said:
I don't meen how fast the next build will come out. I'm seeing a bigger picture here.

Every dev hour not spent on game development is a dev hour not spent on game development ;-)
I think maybe that a short video would be less time consuming than typing up a long report.

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
Depends on what kind of video you want. Proper Editing takes lots of time.

The only thing faster would be a freestyle, uncut video Blog. And I don't think thats so great to watch...

And again. Even if the video doesn't take long to make: Its still time better spent on programming/designing the game. :)