Weekly Report #13

M

Mopower

Tero said:
We're not adding content that delays the update. We're adding content while the physics are being worked on. The update will be ready as soon as the physics/handling works well enough.

Maybe Jori can write more detailed blog post about what's been happening with the physics/handling department, maybe that will shed more light on why it's taking so long. I'll ask him.
I would appreciate that

M

Mopower

crazychris4124 said:
As someone pointed out before the Steam Charts shows the long delay is hurting the game. Went from a peak of 912 and average of 225 players down to an abysmal 236 peak and 85 average. They should have released some kind of update at the start of the new year to build upon the momentum they had. 6 months is way too long of a delay. They need to stop adding features to the update and just get a working update out there. Seems like they just keep adding content to the update which sounds nice but it just keeps getting pushed back further and further. Release an initial update with a 50% off sale and then build upon it within additional updates every 2-4 weeks.

http://steamcharts.com/app/228380#6m
Okay, but it doesn't really hurt the final game, just the current, pre-alpha build. Lol

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
Tero said:
We're not adding content that delays the update. We're adding content while the physics are being worked on. The update will be ready as soon as the physics/handling works well enough.

Maybe Jori can write more detailed blog post about what's been happening with the physics/handling department, maybe that will shed more light on why it's taking so long. I'll ask him.
Yes that would help a lot I believe. I guess everyone is interested more in detail what's going on with the physics when things take this long. And hopefully that will explain all enough well why it has taken so long and what to really expect from the new physics.

Wolverine1

Tero said:

How about an explanation as to why you misrepresented progress on the game to early backers?

Usmovers_02

Full time wrecker
Wolverine1 said:
Tero said:

How about an explanation as to why you misrepresented progress on the game to early backers?
They didn't. They told us they had a minimum product they could ship regardless of the amount of money the got. They got more money and were able to increase the scope of the game dramatically. What would you rather have: A bare minimum game already released or a far more in depth game still in production?

crazychris4124

Full time wrecker
Tero said:

We definitely need a report telling us exactly what is going on with this game. Were all just guessing on whats going on which isnt helping at all. Jori needs to come out and say "Physics is taking longer than we expected, other members of our team that have nothing to do with the physics are working on content like cars, tracks, game modes, and other stuff. We hope to get the update out by the end of the month and the update will include, new physics engine, updated graphics, improved performance, some cars, some tracks, new games modes and general fixes."

Something along those lines so were no longer guessing and we have a better idea of what to expect.

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
crazychris4124 said:
Tero said:

We definitely need a report telling us exactly what is going on with this game. Were all just guessing on whats going on which isnt helping at all. Jori needs to come out and say "Physics is taking longer than we expected, other members of our team that have nothing to do with the physics are working on content like cars, tracks, game modes, and other stuff. We hope to get the update out by the end of the month and the update will include, new physics engine, updated graphics, improved performance, some cars, some tracks, new games modes and general fixes."

Something along those lines so were no longer guessing and we have a better idea of what to expect.
Yep, you nailed it Crazy Chris!

And it will not be like they are divulging inside corporate secrets to the public. so I do not see how this would impact their sales, and or progress by letting us know!

Iwasawa

Weeked Smasher
Daystar said:
crazychris4124 said:
Tero said:

Yep, you nailed it Crazy Chris!

And it will not be like they are divulging inside corporate secrets to the public. so I do not see how this would impact their sales, and or progress by letting us know!
We asking it since months but.... I guess even they dont know..

MamieNova

"Oh no he didn't!"
Iwasawa said:
We asking it since months but.... I guess even they dont know..
They exactly said that. One of the dev said something among the lines of "tuning the physics is a matter of finding the perfect combination of values. There is no `almost done` or `nowhere near done`. Just like the lottery, you need all numbers and you can't really know how many correct ones you already have. Update will probably be announced the same day it goes live."

Tug

Team Bugbear Member
Tero said:

Like 6 months to rewrite physics. Sounds reasonable, however it more sounds a lot like you should hire more physics programmers. Project C.A.R.S. is coming out next month, and after that I won't have any reason to play this already dated version of Next Car Game, and will not look back at it if nothing is ready by then. This has been an unacceptably long down time which has crippled the community in an insulting manner.

Tug

Team Bugbear Member
Frisker said:
They are however considering the Steam beta branch, having 2 builds, unstable and stable build. That's not fully confirmed yet though.
Not happening at this point. A year after projected release, they simply can't afford to say "we are just getting to beta now". They should have done it when they started rewriting their engine so that we could help them "fine tune" their numbers, but that is long past. Doom. Lots of doom.

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
Blablabla... I want it now... Blablabla too late... Blablabla all hope is lost... Blablabla money back...

M

Mopower

Backstab's name seems fitting.

In other news, I think less about this game now. I like the break we've had. No need to spend hours on this game lol. So, uhh, thanks bugbear, you guys sure are helping me out ;p

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
crazychris4124 said:
Uh,... I don't mean to sound flippant or argumentative, but I think I've used that exact method for weeks now, sans giving a time frame. I must've stated in at least a dozen different threads that physics is taking much longer than expected, other team members that aren't working on physics are working on cars, menus etc., we're doing the best we can, and so on. Making a report that states those same things once more just didn't even occur to me o_O

But all right, now I know what to write in the next blog :)

I read on another forum this weekend, someone saying it seemed like the game was being 'left to die'. This was by someone who was aware of these forums and had read at least some of the updates.

People will always just rant because it sounds nice. If you don't post enough game news updates, the game is dead. If you post news updates, you're lying and the game is dead. If you release an update, you're just doing it to get some more sales then you'll leave the game to die.

Nature of the internet I'm afraid. No matter what you do, it's not good enough for some.

presuming ed said:
I read on another forum this weekend, someone saying it seemed like the game was being 'left to die'. This was by someone who was aware of these forums and had read at least some of the updates.

People will always just rant because it sounds nice. If you don't post enough game news updates, the game is dead. If you post news updates, you're lying and the game is dead. If you release an update, you're just doing it to get some more sales then you'll leave the game to die.

Nature of the internet I'm afraid. No matter what you do, it's not good enough for some.
Especially since that argument makes zero sense. We are a business and it's in our best interest to keep doing business, aka games we love to make. Leaving a game to die would totally destroy our reputation and make sure we can never make another game.

Also you can't really run away to a tropical island with the amount of money we made from sales so far, so there's really no point in that argument either. :)

Blazingtheory

Jori Virtanen said:
Uh,... I don't mean to sound flippant or argumentative, but I think I've used that exact method for weeks now, sans giving a time frame. I must've stated in at least a dozen different threads that physics is taking much longer than expected, other team members that aren't working on physics are working on cars, menus etc., we're doing the best we can, and so on. Making a report that states those same things once more just didn't even occur to me o_O

But all right, now I know what to write in the next blog :)
Please, don't! I've actually read all of the blogs and would love to hear news about latest deveoplments for elements that have actually advanced to a new status.

The week 13 blog was outstanding. Looking forward to seeing if the next blog is on that "next level" as well.

M

Mopower

Hey guys at bugbear. So even though you are telling us, straight away, that you guys are working on the game, that the physics is taking longer than expected, that you guys are working on new content, and I follow the forum avidly, I want you to tell me the exact same thing you've been telling me over and over, but put your foot down! Say it like you mean it. Also was the game abandoned? I know you guys say it isn't, but I'm sure the company just paid you guys to keep saying that the game is still on, even though they can't afford to pay to continue the game.

#LevelElevenLogic (even more logic than level 10!)

B

BrianUK

Mopower said:
Hey guys at bugbear. So even though you are telling us, straight away, that you guys are working on the game, that the physics is taking longer than expected, that you guys are working on new content, and I follow the forum avidly, I want you to tell me the exact same thing you've been telling me over and over, but put your foot down! Say it like you mean it. Also was the game abandoned? I know you guys say it isn't, but I'm sure the company just paid you guys to keep saying that the game is still on, even though they can't afford to pay to continue the game.

Mo, that's way too many words, try - The game is abandoned, these devs are too busy swimming through pools of cash to make the game and I feel ripped off and the devs suck and I want everything now or I want a refund.

M

Mopower

BrianUK said:
Mopower said:

Mo, that's way too many words, try - The game is abandoned, these devs are too busy swimming through pools of cash to make the game and I feel ripped off and the devs suck and I want everything now or I want a refund.
Oh right, I suppose that's too long to reach the actual intended target audience. They don't read that much or they'd know more of what was going on lol