Weekly Report #13

Frisker

Active Member
Weeked Smasher
longtimeago said:
Frisker said:
longtimeago said:
Hmm, Bugbears competitive colleagues over at Codemasters are also working on revamping their EGO engine (with the biggest improvement of all: physics) to a new and improved version, but they have been working on it for almost 2-3 years now, ready to be released this June with the new F1 2015 game. But they have a way bigger team to make it real, bugbear is a small team of badasses that now try to make a physics engine to push out the door as soon as the first 'stable' version is realized.

I think the stress and pressure BugBear has put on themselves is enormous, meanwhile the stress and pressure from the community is not helping the case and truth to be told, they made some big mistakes along the way that resulted in the pressure from the community. I hope for the best after all this time! But 7-8 months compared to the 2-3 years of Codemasters... We could be looking at a few more months of coding for BugBears physics engine.
Bugbear is better in coding because even the ROMU in sneak peek had better physics than Codemasters engines :pPPP
(Don't give me any facts on how Codies engine may be better because I wanna live in my possible bubble.)
I would have no idea how the EGO engine would stack up against the ROMU engine honestly, haha.
I do know that the EGO engine was very capable of damage and softbody physics, but was very restricted and limited in the game itself. You could see how it works in GRID 1 derby races to some extent. Dirt: Showdown is just a complete mess that should not be named...

I love the EGO engine for one thing and that is the netcode. It is extremely accurate and fast for an engine that can do a lot and still keep the connection amazing. It is also what I love about the ROMU engine (Flatout: Ultimate Carnage multiplayer). I generally love race engines with good netcodes, hahaha.
As far as I know, Flatout games never used ROMU engine. FO:UC used something else, cannot remember but I think it's mentioned on this forum.(By quick 10 second googling while drunk didn't tell me anything either)

But still Bugbear is better at coding as they have created the network code for that game and made it working with that engine.


And Jori is awesome because for some reason that hat reminds me of Heisenberg.
 

longtimeago

"When in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
Frisker said:
longtimeago said:
Frisker said:
longtimeago said:
Hmm, Bugbears competitive colleagues over at Codemasters are also working on revamping their EGO engine (with the biggest improvement of all: physics) to a new and improved version, but they have been working on it for almost 2-3 years now, ready to be released this June with the new F1 2015 game. But they have a way bigger team to make it real, bugbear is a small team of badasses that now try to make a physics engine to push out the door as soon as the first 'stable' version is realized.

I think the stress and pressure BugBear has put on themselves is enormous, meanwhile the stress and pressure from the community is not helping the case and truth to be told, they made some big mistakes along the way that resulted in the pressure from the community. I hope for the best after all this time! But 7-8 months compared to the 2-3 years of Codemasters... We could be looking at a few more months of coding for BugBears physics engine.
Bugbear is better in coding because even the ROMU in sneak peek had better physics than Codemasters engines :pPPP
(Don't give me any facts on how Codies engine may be better because I wanna live in my possible bubble.)
I would have no idea how the EGO engine would stack up against the ROMU engine honestly, haha.
I do know that the EGO engine was very capable of damage and softbody physics, but was very restricted and limited in the game itself. You could see how it works in GRID 1 derby races to some extent. Dirt: Showdown is just a complete mess that should not be named...

I love the EGO engine for one thing and that is the netcode. It is extremely accurate and fast for an engine that can do a lot and still keep the connection amazing. It is also what I love about the ROMU engine (Flatout: Ultimate Carnage multiplayer). I generally love race engines with good netcodes, hahaha.
As far as I know, Flatout games never used ROMU engine. FO:UC used something else, cannot remember but I think it's mentioned on this forum.(By quick 10 second googling while drunk didn't tell me anything either)

But still Bugbear is better at coding as they have created the network code for that game and made it working with that engine.
Well then they need to update their wiki pages, because Flatout (the first) clearly uses the ROMU engine. Maybe they used the ROMU engine for Flatout 2 and UC as well? Since the Wiki pages don't say anything about an engine for those pages, but I see a lot of similarities between the 3 games. Can someone at bugbear confirm? :p

Also, Russian Wiki seems to have a ROMU engine page: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugbear_Game_Engine
 

Needles Kane

Member
Weeked Smasher
Diesel game engine's Wiki page says FlatOut 1 uses it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_(game_engine)

Bugbear devs said they developed their engine over ten years now.

I believe all BB's games uses Romu, but only RR and WF uses softbody damage physics. But what is Romu's relationship with Diesel engine? Is Romu based at Diesel or is that just incorrect information in Wiki page?

Edit. Because this topic went already offtopic, maybe I can ask questions about past.

I found two old BB devs interviews from Pelit-magazine. Other was Tatu Blomberg's interview who was working on him very first game at the time, Rally Trophy. Is Tatu still working for BB? Another more interesting interview, I can't remember who was interviewed, maybe it was J.Alanenpää, said there was meant to be plot in Flatout 1. Why you dropped it and what kind of plot it was?
 

Frisker

Active Member
Weeked Smasher
Needles Kane said:
Diesel game engine's Wiki page says FlatOut 1 uses it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_(game_engine)

Bugbear devs said they developed their engine over ten years now.

I believe all BB's games uses Romu, but only RR and WF uses softbody damage physics. But what is Romu's relationship with Diesel engine? Is Romu based at Diesel or is that just incorrect information in Wiki page?

Edit. Because this topic went already offtopic, maybe I can ask questions about past.

I found two old BB devs interviews from Pelit-magazine. Other was Tatu Blomberg's interview who was working on him very first game at the time, Rally Trophy. Is Tatu still working for BB? Another more interesting interview, I can't remember who was interviewed, maybe it was J.Alanenpää, said there was meant to be plot in Flatout 1. Why you dropped it and what kind of plot it was?
Where did you find the interviews? Is it available for free online anywhere as I can't afford to subscribe to the magazine right now :p
 

Needles Kane

Member
Weeked Smasher
Those magazines were some early 2000's numbers I found from local antique store (Antikvaarinen Kirjakauppa, Joensuu) . Maybe I can go and buy those sometime next week and scan interviews. Costs about 10 or 20 cents per piece.
 

Frisker

Active Member
Weeked Smasher
Needles Kane said:
Those magazines were some early 2000's numbers I found from local antique store (Antikvaarinen Kirjakauppa, Joensuu) . Maybe I can go and buy those sometime next week and scan interviews. Costs about 10 or 20 cents per piece.
Cool, not too expensive. I'm too lazy to travel over 30KM to Helsinki and find one of those stores myself :p (With bus it's pain in the arsehole).

Also I got no time since Kärpät are gonna beat Jyp tonight and Imma witness it :D
 

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
That's cool and new information if ROMU is based on Diesel engine. Likely just some base engine that was very heavily modified for their use. Seems like it's Sweden based so very much possible.
 
Needles Kane said:
Is Romu based at Diesel or is that just incorrect information in Wiki page?
St. Jimmy said:
That's cool and new information if ROMU is based on Diesel engine.
As far as I know, ROMU engine has nothing to do with Diesel engine, that's just misinformation on the wiki. I might be wrong though, since I've been working for Bugbear only from 2003 but I think we've always had our own engine, ever since our first game Rally Trophy.

Needles Kane said:
Is Tatu still working for BB?
Yup. :)
 
Top