Weekly Report #8

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Usmovers_02 said:
Glad to hear this :D I was definitely expecting a large improvement over what I think is currently very bad handling but definitely not this much detail! I also haven't put too much time into WF (28 hours) but expect I'll easily be able to tell the difference. My big issue since the first build has been uncontrollable slides and very sudden control loss. I expect with all these variables at play that'll be an issue of the past :D
I'm not so sure, get the wrong combo of upgrades for the wrong track, could turn out badly!

Like stiff suspension on gravel track. But that will be part of the Wreckfest experience, figuring out a good combo of upgrade parts. But when you do fine that good combo, need to be able save that combination so don't have to figure it out again next week.

B

BrianUK

There needs to be some kind of wondrous, amazing difference between what we have now and what we are waiting for. Not because I dislike the handling - only the overgrippy front end and lack of suspension feedback is an issue for me, not that it stops me enjoying the game - more because we have waited so bloody long. I've burnt over 300 hours on this game so far and none of the guys I race with have ever complained about the handling.

sam223

Weeked Smasher
I hope you make everything competitive with everything one way or another by allowing enough parts options. Having tried this i have faith :)

On another note,you might need some server><user file hash/version mismatch checking system.

rhamm

Weeked Smasher
Team Bugbear Member
Hopefully this will apply to the force feedback and they're testing a lot with their Fanatec CSR V2 wheel.

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
Yes that would be nice if Bugbear could set up a few servers! (1) U.S.A. (2) Europe (3) Asia
This way, we all know that we can connect to a server. I know you guys at BB headquarters
have made a bunch of money so far, and a whole lot more later down the road. this would be
a great thing for us to always have a stable internet connection to a strong server "Bugbear Servers"

Maybe 2 in U.S.A. such as West coast "California" and East Coast "Chicago"
Europe 2 as well... Germany, and Finland. France should be no problem connecting.
Asia... good question. Maybe Japan, and China.

Needles Kane

Weeked Smasher
conso1727 said:
It's hard to believe there is so much stuff going on under the hood. I wonder how many will notice.
Many arcade games have very accurate physisc simulation. Here is Carmageddon:Reincarnation's setup.lol- file.

Code:
car:SetCollisionEffect("effects.f_carsharpnel06", 10.5)
car:SetPowerMultiplier(2)
car:SetTractionFactor(1)
car:SetFinalDrive(2)
car:SetRearGrip(1.4)
car:SetFrontGrip(1.3)
car:SetCMPosY(0.52)
car:SetCMPosZ(0)
car:SetFrontDownforce(20)
car:SetRearDownforce(20)
car:SetFrontRoll(0.15)
car:SetRearRoll(0.15)
car:SetFrontCriticalAngle(6)
car:SetRearCriticalAngle(6)
car:SetFrontSuspGive(0.4)
car:SetRearSuspGive(0.4)
car:SetSuspDamping(0.9)
car:SetMomentOfInertiaMultiplier(1)
car:SetSteerSpeed1(1)
car:SetSteerSpeed2(0.5)
car:SetSteerSpeedVel(150)
car:SetSteerCentreMultiplier(2)
car:SetMaxSteeringAngle(40)
car:SetBrakeBalance(60)
car:SetBrakeForce(60)
car:SetHandBrakeStrength(10)
car:SetTorqueSplit(65)
car:SetLSDThresholdF(10)
car:SetLSDThresholdR(10)
car:SetLSDThresholdM(10)
car:SetReversePowerMulitplier(1)
car:SetWheelMass(10)
car:SetDragCoefficient(0.5)
car:SetSteerLimit1(0)
car:SetSteerLimit2(0)
car:SetSteerLimitSpeed(0)
car:SetCastorSpeed1(0)
car:SetCastorSpeed2(1)
car:SetCastorSpeedVel(100)
car:SetSteerGyroscope(1)
car:SetBrakeAttack(1)
car:SetHandBrakeAttack(0.1)
car:SetSlideSpinRecovery(1)
car:SetRollingResistance(0.018)
car:SetDriveMI(2.2)
car:SetEngineMI(0.06)
car:SetRedLine(6500)
car:SetMaxRevs(8000)
car:SetLimitRevs(true)
car:SetConstantEngineFriction(833)
car:SetLinearEngineFriction(0)
car:SetQuadraticEngineFriction(0.0023)
car:SetConstantDriveFriction(9.1)
car:SetLinearDriveFriction(0)
car:SetQuadraticDriveFriction(0.0008)
car:SetEngineBrakeDelay(0.5)
car:SetEngineBrakeAttack(0.28)
car:SetClutchDelay(0)
car:SetMass(10000)
car:SetNumGears(5)
car:SetGearRatios(10, 13.86, 8.2193, 5.7005, 4.2327, 3.2277, 2.6775, 2.1616, 1.7157, 1.3752, 1.1346)
car:SetTorqueCurve(20, 302.0671, 367.7745, 416.0214, 441.2349, 416.0214, 378.2013, 327.7745, 252.1342, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
car:SetStabilityGripChange(0.4)
car:SetStabilityThreshold(0.5)
That already gives it pretty realistic handling. Carmageddon's physic simulation is more realistic than some simulator's if tweaked to realistic values. With over sixty different values for suspension alone, Wreckfest's physics could be used for any hardcore simulator, I guess.

Heddly

FOJ Supporter/Modder
Team Bugbear Member
Purple44 said:
Usmovers_02 said:
Glad to hear this :D I was definitely expecting a large improvement over what I think is currently very bad handling but definitely not this much detail! I also haven't put too much time into WF (28 hours) but expect I'll easily be able to tell the difference. My big issue since the first build has been uncontrollable slides and very sudden control loss. I expect with all these variables at play that'll be an issue of the past :D
I'm not so sure, get the wrong combo of upgrades for the wrong track, could turn out badly!

Like stiff suspension on gravel track. But that will be part of the Wreckfest experience, figuring out a good combo of upgrade parts. But when you do fine that good combo, need to be able save that combination so don't have to figure it out again next week.
I think it would be a good idea to save car setups for individual tracks and share them also, like other games do. Just saying it would save time.

Aerotactics

So...tires will be pop-able now?

* Aero pulls a pistol from his pocket and shoots out the tire of his opponent in front of him. *

Oh uh...wrong game.

Heddly

FOJ Supporter/Modder
Team Bugbear Member
Needles Kane said:
conso1727 said:
It's hard to believe there is so much stuff going on under the hood. I wonder how many will notice.
Many arcade games have very accurate physisc simulation. Here is Carmageddon:Reincarnation's setup.lol- file.

Code:
car:SetCollisionEffect("effects.f_carsharpnel06", 10.5)
car:SetPowerMultiplier(2)
car:SetStabilityThreshold(0.5)
That already gives it pretty realistic handling. Carmageddon's physic simulation is more realistic than some simulator's if tweaked to realistic values. With over sixty different values for suspension alone, Wreckfest's physics could be used for any hardcore simulator, I guess.
This would be good for tuning a custom car for the game. The FOJ Community Mod for FlatOut2 used a car.bed file with much of the same settings. The problem was that you could not use the custom cars in career mode to upgrade them. You had to use the same settings for all tracks.

Needles Kane

Weeked Smasher
Heddly said:
This would be good for tuning a custom car for the game. The FOJ Community Mod for FlatOut2 used a car.bed file with much of the same settings. The problem was that you could not use the custom cars in career mode to upgrade them. You had to use the same settings for all tracks.
There is upgrade folder which contains tires, engine, gear box etc. so I hope those upgrades contains all values and then there is car setup file that determines what parts fit for car.
Code:
Tires:euro_used_tires
           euro_racing_tires
Engine:v6_136hp
           v6_160hp
            etc.
Then another file that determines what is installed. Could be easy for modders.

Fisu

BrianUK said:
There needs to be some kind of wondrous, amazing difference between what we have now and what we are waiting for. Not because I dislike the handling - only the overgrippy front end and lack of suspension feedback is an issue for me, not that it stops me enjoying the game - more because we have waited so bloody long. I've burnt over 300 hours on this game so far and none of the guys I race with have ever complained about the handling.
There is no reason to complain the handling for others. It is what it is. Enough to race and it's same for everone.

Info looks fancy and hopefully we see some next generation things.

These things I had still not yet seen in any racing game. Maybe next patch give it to me:
- Left foot braking balance change between axels.
- Grip loose when stopping acceleration.

Couple question marks for me about the parts:
- Do we have different length of wheel rings?
- Does rolling resistance is included to tire features?
- Does brakes and engine over heat?
- Can we purchase bottle of glass cleaner ;)

btw
I heard that Fiat brakes are not bad, those just are hard to use. Those easily locks front wheels and put you spin in curve.

BrianUK said:
Hmm. It may be about limitations too though. The current physics model may have limitations that restrict the amount of different parts that can be added / changed on cars and actually affect how the car moves. I have read a lot of people asking for lots of different parts and tyre types to be available - and to have a noticeable effect on the handling of the car, this physics revamp may be unavoidable.

If a new physics model is released, and the changes are subtle rather than wondrous and amazing, it might be wise to sit tight and be patient, see what the new models mean for the big picture, rather than just how they affect turn in.

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Fisu said:
BrianUK said:
There is no reason to complain the handling for others. It is what it is. Enough to race and it's same for everone.

Info looks fancy and hopefully we see some next generation things.

These things I had still not yet seen in any racing game. Maybe next patch give it to me:
- Left foot braking balance change between axels.
- Grip loose when stopping acceleration.

Couple question marks for me about the parts:
- Do we have different length of wheel rings?
- Does rolling resistance is included to tire features?
- Does brakes and engine over heat?
- Can we purchase bottle of glass cleaner ;)

btw
I heard that Fiat brakes are not bad, those just are hard to use. Those easily locks front wheels and put you spin in curve.
Each car currently uses different brake settings. You can examine what brakes by default (since you cant change them in game,well you can but not via the menus :) ) by opening "chassisname".upgb with a hex editor.Located inside bundle in the upgrades directory.There are 8 brakes settings currently in game located in upgrades>brakes.

Ive been test running the euro coupe with a 500hp v8 and american high performance brakes. Goes like stink and stops from flatout in a few yards.

M

Miau

i hope hex-hacks doesnt work in online game, like everybody cheat in flatout2

Matrix404

So does weather also play into all of this, so if its a cold rainy day cars behave differently then on a bright sunny day? Same thing with dusk to night racing is the car going to change handling or even is the power of the engine going to change. Race motors seem to like cool air... and If its windy am I going to feel that?

Also for tires are you letting the dev handle a car with knobby tires, bias ply tires and full race slicks so the really know how a car changes? Also a car with manual steering then say rack and pinion steering box, or even electric steering going to handle differently? Because it would be fun to feel a car with old manual steering having to drive the car and battle it as much as your opponents, plus its a good work out!

M

Mopower

Well Brian, I would assume that those that didn't complain, aside from those that we're asking for it to simply be easier, that like me, they were expecting a little better handling from the new physics model that's been talked about for months and Months and Months

B

BrianUK

Mopower said:
Well Brian, I would assume that those that didn't complain, aside from those that we're asking for it to simply be easier, that like me, they were expecting a little better handling from the new physics model that's been talked about for months and Months and Months
Well, define 'easier'. Do you mean make it easy so anyone can pick up the game and race with the best, or make it more accessible with a learning curve from there on? Now, before people start jumping on me about 'oh, but you're one of the fastest drivers anyway lel', don't let that change what I actually mean. This is the first driving game I've played online where I've been able to mix it up with the best drivers, let alone win a race. Last time I played Assetto Corsa I was merely a midfield driver, it was a long time before I started setting records on Track Mania Nations, I never really got LFS down as I was rather young, and I spent most of my time getting trounced on GT6. It also doesn't invalidate my general satisfaction with the current handling.

I'm hoping for more of a Track Mania curve, where the cars where relatively simple to drive, but very hard to drive fast unless you really put some time down.