Weekly Report #8

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Miau said:
i hope hex-hacks doesnt work in online game, like everybody cheat in flatout2
Currently yes,although i am not hex editing any files, simply renaming the default file with the ones in game that don't have menu buttons.Using the hex editor simply to find out which engine upgrade is the default one for the chassis. However you do not get any speed difference,still has the same speed it seems online,although the wheels will spin like mad and different sound. Offline however is a different story and have managed a 18.01 around the oval.

http://i.imgur.com/y8SmJtE.jpg

Mazay

Miau said:
It won't be that bad if hacks work online, just there should be way to find out and block "cheaters". Perhaps text "hacker" next to name :p
Though it would be more fair if hacks would be shared from host to everyone.

Frisker

Weeked Smasher
Mazay said:
Miau said:
It won't be that bad if hacks work online, just there should be way to find out and block "cheaters". Perhaps text "hacker" next to name :p
Though it would be more fair if hacks would be shared from host to everyone.
I think that some kind of core database would exist, either in cloud or perhaps the host's files. I mean that everyone that connects to the server, their own game would then compare the files to the host's files, and if there's a difference=kickban.

If the host has modified files, then I guess everyone has them? That would allow for modded servers.

M

Miau

Frisker, this modder lobbys would be a good thing ^^

Hm BB works on physics, i think they are good enough for this time, can u please set at first a map changer, car changer in the lobby? and a simple turnament with different maps or cars? that would make the game more charming

Do you ve groups who works on physics, arts, game mod design or all working to make good physics only? o_O

till you are done with physics its summer or longer :pP

K

KingOfTheCakes

Thanks for keeping us posted once again!

Just wondering, is Stability Control gonna be worked on for the next update? Feels like it makes driving far too forgiving in comparison to having it off imo. I'm gaining seconds when i'm lapping with it on before i reach my limit.

Btw, I play using a 360 controller.

Peyko

Sounds interesting.
Looking forward to it :)
Especially playing it with VR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Miau said:
Frisker, this modder lobbys would be a good thing ^^

Hm BB works on physics, i think they are good enough for this time, can u please set at first a map changer, car changer in the lobby? and a simple turnament with different maps or cars? that would make the game more charming

Do you ve groups who works on physics, arts, game mod design or all working to make good physics only? o_O

till you are done with physics its summer or longer :pP
In Flatout 2, the game did check the database file and script files and only showed you hosts that had the same files. Over all this work good for FO2. We could host modded versions of Flatout 2 and we did have to worry about a stock player joining our modded host and having stock player crash his game when a custom track got loaded. And this kept modded games from joining a stock host.

Unfortunately there trainers that hack the game after it loaded, so a file check does catch these modded games from joining a stock FO2 host and using a nitro hack. :mad:

But one downfall of how modded games are handled in Flatout 2, is host list does not show all hosts. stock and modded. So most players don't know there are live modded games being hosted. I would like to see with Wreckfest, host list show stock hosts and modded hosts in the list. The modded hosts would have something indicating host is using modded files. Maybe separate list, show stock hosts at top of list and modded hosts at bottom and have a filter to just show stock hosts or just show modded host.

Also you should be able to click on modded host name and being up a patch file to see what mod(s) host is using so you can match host patch so you can join. At Flatout Joint, we used the patch file to load our mods like custom cars and tracks.

patch1.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Trackpack1.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Carpack1.bfs
FOJs_Carpack2_and_updates.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Updates2.bfs

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
C2S said:
Each car in the game having unique characteristics sounds good, as long as this doesn't reduce our options in customizing the cars with purchasable parts and in-depth adjustments.
It won't. That's actually one of the benefits of this physics system -- with this much detail, we can create parts that are interchangeable from one car to another, and the said parts will give quite different but accurate results depending on what car you're using. That's a whole extra level of depth to finding your perfect setup for your favorite car :)

BenDover said:
Thanks for the update, have you done some progress from week 6? Or is it still the same amount of bugs ? :)
Progress? Yes! Lots and lots! But there are still a lot of bugs. Squash one, two more appear :)

Conte Zero said:
By the way, how about the gas bottles from Sneak Peek and other cool props? We arent loosing them off the final release, are we?
You won't see them in the game proper, so there won't be random gas bottle deaths, unfortunately. But, we're not getting rid of them, either -- they're safe and secure in our assets, and modders will be able to use them in any way they see fit :)

Daystar said:
Yes that would be nice if Bugbear could set up a few servers!
We'd love to! But servers don't come cheap. They'd have to be reliable and able to handle a shedload of traffic, and the upkeep costs can ramp up to five figures. No kidding. So, if we set up servers of our own, it'll be later on, when the game enters/approaches beta stage.

Heddly said:
I think it would be a good idea to save car setups for individual tracks and share them also, like other games do. Just saying it would save time.
Saving car setups is definitely on our list (if not already in the build, I'm not sure), but sharing them? That's an interesting idea, but complicated by things like the end user actually having the necessary parts, and if that's a negatory, what result will happen then? :) We'll look into this.

BrianUK said:
I'm hoping for more of a Track Mania curve, where the cars where relatively simple to drive, but very hard to drive fast unless you really put some time down.
That's our goal, too. Easy enough for casual mayhem for casual players, but detailed enough that experienced drivers know that when you get a part with a 1% better performance than what you currently have, you immediately know how valuable that extra 1% is.

kennta340

Full time wrecker
Progress? Yes! Lots and lots! But there are still a lot of bugs. Squash one, two more appear :)
Yeah I can understand that :/ Dam bugs !! :p Why cant you only think how its should be and it will be like that? haha :p

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Jori Virtanen said:
Conte Zero said:
By the way, how about the gas bottles from Sneak Peek and other cool props? We arent loosing them off the final release, are we?
You won't see them in the game proper, so there won't be random gas bottle deaths, unfortunately. But, we're not getting rid of them, either -- they're safe and secure in our assets, and modders will be able to use them in any way they see fit :)
Ya I will see what I can do with them gas bottles when we get the tools to mod Wreckfest. :D

Purplepack beta for Flatout 2. Part 2

Maybe make new version of minefield track. :)

M

Mopower

Sorry Brian, Missed your reply. I have no idea what they meant by easier. I was trying to say that aside from those asking for easier handling, I think most people were expecting bugbear to upgrade the handling quite a bit. Yes, it's pretty good, but it does lack some. The handling seems to be strange in how it jumps from very little traction to having a Lot such as when you're coming out of a power slide. It's a little soft for my tastes at the Moment. Also, the cars don't really do anything when faced with bumps or landing jumps. They sort of pretend that they didn't just fall 20 feet.

I don't know, that's just what I've kind of seen. But with new suspension physics and tire physics we may see Some improvements

M

Mopower

Also,I would like to note that I really don't like the idea of sharing builds unless it's within your deSignated team/shop (assuming that we get those). I'd rather it be more like real life. You ask what they're running, and maybe they'll tell you, maybe they'll feed you a line, who knows? ;)

C2S

That's actually one of the benefits of this physics system -- with this much detail, we can create parts that are interchangeable from one car to another, and the said parts will give quite different but accurate results depending on what car you're using. That's a whole extra level of depth to finding your perfect setup for your favorite car :)
How deep into detail will you eventually go with the changeable/adjustable parts? For example, engine modifications (along with suspension related settings) is probably the largest individual setup category, which could potentially include things like stroke length - bore size relation for a given displacement, ECU configuration options, flywheel mass, forced induction options, upgrading the smaller, individual engine parts, etc.

Granted, it would take some amount of expertise from you to ensure that these would modify the torque curve of the engine and other performance characteristics in a realistic way. :)

sam223

Weeked Smasher
C2S said:
That's actually one of the benefits of this physics system -- with this much detail, we can create parts that are interchangeable from one car to another, and the said parts will give quite different but accurate results depending on what car you're using. That's a whole extra level of depth to finding your perfect setup for your favorite car :)
How deep into detail will you eventually go with the changeable/adjustable parts? For example, engine modifications (along with suspension related settings) is probably the largest individual setup category, which could potentially include things like stroke length - bore size relation for a given displacement, ECU configuration options, flywheel mass, forced induction options, upgrading the smaller, individual engine parts, etc.

Granted, it would take some amount of expertise from you to ensure that these would modify the torque curve of the engine and other performance characteristics in a realistic way. :)
So far there is engine,air/fuel system,exhaust manifold,intake manifold,turbo charger,exhaust,gearbox,suspension,brakes,tires,drivetrain.
Hopefully more in the future

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
C2S said:

That sounding like a sim. That be going to far for me.

Keras

Full time wrecker
C2S said:

This sounds really bad. I don`t want WF to be the next car mechanic simulator.
It`s great to be able to customize your car but it should be easily understandable and usable for everyone even if they are not interested in real car mechanics.

Iwasawa

Weeked Smasher
Keras said:
C2S said:

This sounds really bad. I don`t want WF to be the next car mechanic simulator.
It`s great to be able to customize your car but it should be easily understandable and usable for everyone even if they are not interested in real car mechanics.
Nope, i like complex things, especially when it comes to car tuning. Someone who is not interested in it, they can use defaults, but if you want to customize your car, you should have the complex settings, because thats lovely. :D

Ste@mroll

Just sorta posting this for the devs to see since I'm not quite sure where to post it but I think the replay engine needs a little more work done to it for future updates. My car did not look like this at all during the actual race.

KarlderHeinz

Full time wrecker
@Ste@mroll
The Devs posted multiple times, that most of the replay is processed new, so it will look different.
All the obstacles should look diferrent when you hit them because it is a new race.