Weekly Report #9

T

Team Bugbear

Hello again!

This week we’ve made some really great progress on two fronts: physics and tracks. The original plan was to write this blog about the latter, but after those really intensely focused meetings we felt that we should process it a bit and then talk about it.
So, this week’s blog will be not be about tracks, nor will it be about physics. It will be about two new game modes.

Elimination will pit players on a racing track to compete against each other, but not in the traditional sense. This game’s winner won’t be determined by who finishes first, but who can outlast everyone else. Every lap (or, say, 45 seconds, there will be variations) the game checks who is the last driver in the race, and weeds the poor racer out of the competition. In addition, all those unfortunate enough to get wrecked are also out of the race.

This means that all players need to drive fast and furious so they won’t be the unlucky last player that gets whacked after each lap. This, in turn, means that people will resort to dirty tricks to stay alive, and that, in turn, will result in a lot of people getting banged up beyond recognition during the race itself.

Elimination should prove to be a fun game mode, especially since Wreckfest is so delightfully cruel when it comes to damaging your rides. Elimination will be a mixture of reckless driving, insane risks, pure skill and manic mayhem. We hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we are.

Our second new game mode is Team Race. This mode will allow up to four teams to race for victory. But, like always, we’ve added a few twists into how this whole thing works.

Yes, the first to cross the finish line gets the most points. Yes, second and third places net their drivers a hefty score, too. But so does wrecking other players, and driving the fastest lap times. In short, Team Race will reward your team in several ways: by being a menace to others, and by being a fast driver. If you get left behind and have no chance of being in the top bracket, take it out on your fellow drivers, and watch as your team’s score goes up.

Team Race aims to be a really interesting mixture of aggressive driving, team spirit, and gung ho attitude. Risks are rewarded, but the real sweet spot here is tactics: when driving with an experienced team who works well together, you can designate different roles to each other for maximal efficiency.

No holds barred, folks! Track shots are allowed, even encouraged :)

For those more interested in clean racing, do not fret! Even if in their current state both Team Race and Elimination reward aggressive driving, we are working on clean racing versions of both. We’re still figuring out how to reward players in both modes, but as soon as we got some stuff figured out, we’ll let you know.

Mind you that both Team Race and Elimination are still under development. They need to be refined into true gems, and that takes many iterations before we’re done. This is where your help comes in – when the next build is launched, test these new game modes out in earnest, and tell us what works and what doesn’t. That way you’re doing your part in making Wreckfest be all it can be.

That’s it for this week!
Stay tuned for the track status report in our next weekly blog.

And, as always,… Stay safe, all y’all.

- Team Bugbear

lobsterfran

I hope you can include limos into the game. They'd be perfect for team racing, acting as the blocker/damage dealer.

chuckskyline

Master Blaster
Jori!!!

Am I to assume that this next update (whenever that may be) will include:

The Massive Physics Upgrade/update
Two New Game Modes
More Tracks

Anything else?

M

Miau

Wuhu teamplay Modes, good BB! :D

How was it with teamplay "One for all and all in one"? ;DD

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
chuckskyline said:
It is I!!!

chuckskyline said:
Am I to assume that this next update (whenever that may be) will include:

The Massive Physics Upgrade/update
Two New Game Modes
More Tracks

Anything else?
You're absolutely right, the next build will have all that. And yes, there'll be more, too, but nothing that major. We're working on new cars and tracks, but I'm unsure how much of those will be ready in time. But, there'll be plenty of other stuff that is already in the new build, like being able to change tracks and cars from the lobby, so you won't have to quit the server every time you want something different.

Mohasz

Weeked Smasher
Full time wrecker
I love the idea of team mode, too bad none of my friends owns the game (yet). Elimination, while isn't anything new, seems to be an intense game mode. I hope the update doesn't take too much more time, maybe 2 weeks, looks like it's going to have some awesome stuff. Hopefully a new car/track or two as well.

By the way, is the implementation of a basic career mode / tuning and stuff planned for the next build or those will come later?

Edit: Oh, I totally forgot about the improved multiplayer, now it should be much more convenient to play online, can't wait.

longtimeago

"When in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
The suffering for the wait of the new build is menacing! :'(

But will be SO REWARDING when it finally arrives! (I hope)

MK3424

Are you going to add a last man standing mode on the oval?: instead of eliminating the slowest players per lap, they will get eliminated when they've crashed, regardless of lapcount.

Frisker

Weeked Smasher
Awesome! I love the elimination mode in other games, and it's gonna be epic in Wreckfest!

I'm staying tuned but not necessarily safe(Atleast online)

Mikko

Rally Trophy 2 please!
Team Bugbear Member
How about a spectator mode in multiplayer? So you can watch the game while you are waiting in the lobby.

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
Mikko said:
How about a spectator mode in multiplayer? So you can watch the game while you are waiting in the lobby.
Should be coming. Not sure if it's already in the next build.

Adziej

Weeked Smasher
Mikko said:
Yeah, I would love to see this feature too! Especially with free camera option. And being able to save replays in multiplayer to allow players to make awesome movies on Youtube! <3

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
St. Jimmy said:
Mikko said:
Should be coming. Not sure if it's already in the next build.
Posted by Jori:
Jori Virtanen said:
Freecam or spectator mode is in the works, so you have more options to spend the downtime when you're wrecked or joined while a race was already under way.

Play mode, track change and car change while in the lobby are all in the works. Having to quit and restart the server annoys everyone, so we're definitely doing something about that :)

Oops, Tapio posted this while I was searching for Jori post:

Tapio Vierros said:
Mikko said:
Will be in the next build.

GuitarJozz

This sounds awesome, can't wait to test out the Elimination mode. I think that would be awesome on that track from a previous Flatout game, the small dirt track shaped like this: 0====0 Where the middle straight section was bumpy like, and didn't have any barriers, so if you were heading in one direction, a car coming the opposite direction could crash head on into you on that straight section. That track was always chaotic, but tons of fun to race on. A mode like Elimination would make it even better!

Any plans to bring that track back, or have a new track with a similar section? Also, do you have a date for the release of this next build? I think if you give us a date on when it will actually be released, or at least a time frame, that will calm down some people who get impatient and start posting negative comments.

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
Thanks for the info's guys! I will be glad to offer constructive help with testing them new modes in our next build. Have a cool weekend! ;)

Fisu

Tapio Vierros said:
Mikko said:
Will be in the next build.
Awesome news this spectator! Game modes are fun to have and all will find favorities.

Not tuned but I'm safe. No Hankis this year :(
Hankis=second famous Finnish winter rally