Weekly Report #9

Iwasawa

Weeked Smasher
Damn, i was like i dont care about NCG at the moment, but after seeing the news.... DAMN I CANT WAIT AGAIN ASASDSADSADSA!

kamikave

Full time wrecker
V8-Cowboy said:
I think a good eliminator variant would be:
- Reward players with points based on forward distance travelled or number of laps completed
- Only eliminate players when they get wrecked

Maybe this would be more like enduro than eliminator....
Agreed. I don't like that kind of gameplay (Last standing and such).

M

Mopower

What could make it a bit more interesting is if after each wreck, (not a time-based one) but an actual wreck, it reset the timer so that if it wasn't last place who got wrecked, or he wrecked someone, it gives him a chance to catch up a bit... The only downside is that it would promote wrecking rather than racing. Not that that's necessarily always bad either.

Also, the first elimination should be on a 2 minute timer rather than a 45 second timer so that it's not just your starting position, or the first wipe out on the first corner that puts you out of the race.

Peyko

Sounds really promising! When are you guys pushing the next update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xaagon

Sounds awesome!

I assume that all of this will be available for single player as well... including spectator mode?

crazychris4124

Full time wrecker
Im ready for the update. Bought 256 GB SSD, another 1 TB HDD, 16 RAM and have a gaming laptop that I can use to make it easier for me to record and stream gameplay. Its been almost 6 months since the last update so Im anxious to play this new update.

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
Xaagon said:
I assume that all of this will be available for single player as well... including spectator mode?
Yes, you assume correctly :)

MK3424 said:
Are you going to add a last man standing mode on the oval?
Well, we're increasing the max lap count to 60 for starters, so that should help. Last Man Standing racing has been one of the most wished features, so we'll take a look at how that would work :)

Mopower said:
So... how about last man standing team demolition derby? And more than 2 teams in a derby?
How would team mode and LMS work together? All for one and one for all until there's no enemies left, and then you turn against each other? Or Last Team Standing? The latter would be pretty fun, I think, especially with multiple teams -- and we are indeed looking at multi-team derby modes :)
The reason they won't be in the next build yet is because they need some special attention to work, and we don't want to delay the upcoming build for these game modes. They can wait a little longer :)

LUNITIC_WILL said:
i do like the sound of the elimination mode. will it be someone gets kicked out after each lap? 23 laps for 24 players?
Yeah, each lap eliminates one player, but the lap count can be less than 23, as people are eliminated by wrecks as well. If drivers are aggressive and half of them won't make even one lap, then that 24-player race is considerably shorter :)

Yatta said:
Any chance we will get mirrors in the next patch?
Nope. Mirrors are tricky, because they require a surprising amount of horsepower to work. That requires clever coding and optimizing, and we won't delay the new build for that. The mirrors are on our to-do list, but they're not a priority.

Purple44 said:
So I'm thinking after the second to last place player crosses the finish, either have a 30 second timer kick in for last player to cross finish line or just go berserk on the other players left in the race. Can last place player take out the leader before timer counts down to zero ( go backwards )?
We considered that the second to last player triggers the elimination of the last player by crossing the finish line, but there are problems, like, say, there's two griefers in the race. The asshats decide to make racing miserable for everyone else with the least effort possible, so they just hang back. The second to last and the last driver never cross the finish line, which means the elimination doesn't trigger at all. All these two need to do to piss everyone off is to wait it out :)
That's why we ended up with "first player crossing the finishing line triggers the elimination effect" solution. It's not perfect, either, but it's better than opening doors for griefing.

As for that warning that you're about to be eliminated? We're working on that. The players definitely need some kind of message that they'll soon be out of the race, or they just up and die just like that when the first player crosses the finishing line, and that sudden death stuff ain't any fun. One solution is that timer you mentioned, another is the distance the first player has left before a new lap starts. In both cases, we want the last and second to last players to know that there's precious little time left, because we want there to be pressure. When there's pressure, there's more insane risks, and when there's insane risks, hilarity often ensues :)

M

Mopower

Jori Virtanen said:
Mopower said:
So... how about last man standing team demolition derby? And more than 2 teams in a derby?
How would team mode and LMS work together? All for one and one for all until there's no enemies left, and then you turn against each other? Or Last Team Standing? The latter would be pretty fun, I think, especially with multiple teams -- and we are indeed looking at multi-team derby modes :)
The reason they won't be in the next build yet is because they need some special attention to work, and we don't want to delay the upcoming build for these game modes. They can wait a little longer :)
Yes, as in real life, last team standing is what I meant. So, no respawns, but obviously it would be possible for multiple driver's on one team to be alive at the end if they managed to take out the entire other team.

Multi-team derby modes would be awesome!

I'm happy to hear that multi-team derby modes are planned. And I hope you guys do a last team standing. That is the realistic way a team derby is done, so I think it would make a pretty good fit. I understand that it can wait longer, I was just wanting to know if it was planned. Thanks Jori! Exactly the answer I was looking/hoping for.

It's pretty self-explanatory, but here's a video of the team derbying I'm looking for.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Jori Virtanen said:
Purple44 said:
So I'm thinking after the second to last place player crosses the finish, either have a 30 second timer kick in for last player to cross finish line or just go berserk on the other players left in the race. Can last place player take out the leader before timer counts down to zero ( go backwards )?
We considered that the second to last player triggers the elimination of the last player by crossing the finish line, but there are problems, like, say, there's two griefers in the race. The asshats decide to make racing miserable for everyone else with the least effort possible, so they just hang back. The second to last and the last driver never cross the finish line, which means the elimination doesn't trigger at all. All these two need to do to piss everyone off is to wait it out :)
That's why we ended up with "first player crossing the finishing line triggers the elimination effect" solution. It's not perfect, either, but it's better than opening doors for griefing.

As for that warning that you're about to be eliminated? We're working on that. The players definitely need some kind of message that they'll soon be out of the race, or they just up and die just like that when the first player crosses the finishing line, and that sudden death stuff ain't any fun. One solution is that timer you mentioned, another is the distance the first player has left before a new lap starts. In both cases, we want the last and second to last players to know that there's precious little time left, because we want there to be pressure. When there's pressure, there's more insane risks, and when there's insane risks, hilarity often ensues :)

I did not think about second to last player could do the same thing. So agree using the first player to cross finish line would be better. A 30 second timer be short enough on most tracks, but on the oval, players do 18-20 second laps. So elimination timer have be like 15 seconds. I would like a chance to pit the guy in front of me if I was last or put him into the wall. :D

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Mopower said:
Ya with milti-team derbys it be nice to have last team standing mode and the team deathmatch we have to expand to at least 4 teams.

And give players the ability to organize their own teams if they want too, instead of game just putting players randomly in a team.

Cornkid

Yada Yada - Actions speak louder
Full time wrecker
Jori Virtanen said:
The asshats decide to make racing miserable for everyone else with the least effort possible, so they just hang back.
The prosecution rests its case for a perma-ban to get rid of asshats ;)

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Purple44 said:
Mopower said:
Ya with milti-team derbys it be nice to have last team standing mode and the team deathmatch we have to expand to at least 4 teams.

And give players the ability to organize their own teams if they want too, instead of game just putting players randomly in a team.
Yea more teams in derby and racing would be nice. And last team standing (i dont find that the current points team derby encourages much rivalry,you just respawn,respawn,respawn) . Everything from teams of 2 (12 teams) to teams of 12 (2 teams) works nice in its own way.

Another gamemode/racemode suggestion. Accumulator. Some promotions/formulas run these after the big race (final).The winner of the final has to start at the very back,if they just finish the race they gets some points (regardless of position),if they win again they get double points.

Cornkid

Yada Yada - Actions speak louder
Full time wrecker
sam223 said:
Another gamemode/racemode suggestion. Accumulator. Some promotions/formulas run these after the big race (final).The winner of the final has to start at the very back,if they just finish the race they gets some points (regardless of position),if they win again they get double points.
Dill does a pretty good variant of this, "hunted mode" where winner is target for all.

Its kudos points only for nailing them, but helps good banter in the chat.

I think in a race scenario starting from the back is a great idea after a win, it would work in both contact and cleanish races.

Starting positions have yet to figure in the game making process I dare say, but they can make or break a game for me.

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Cornkid said:
sam223 said:
Dill does a pretty good variant of this, "hunted mode" where winner is target for all.

Its kudos points only for nailing them, but helps good banter in the chat.

I think in a race scenario starting from the back is a great idea after a win, it would work in both contact and cleanish races.

Starting positions have yet to figure in the game making process I dare say, but they can make or break a game for me.
Yea pretty similar to what dillinja runs in his server,but with a in game reward attached. I hope graded grids will become a feature later along the line (along with keeping random grid option).The best solution i am not sure at the minute. Maybe multiple options? Reverse grid based on previous race,reverse grid based on positions from entire session,reverse grid based on total game performance,reverse grid based on car upgrade points (class A at the back,C at the front).

rwb

Weeked Smasher
sam223 said:
I hope graded grids will become a feature later along the line (along with keeping random grid option).The best solution i am not sure at the minute. Maybe multiple options? Reverse grid based on previous race,reverse grid based on positions from entire session,reverse grid based on total game performance,reverse grid based on car upgrade points (class A at the back,C at the front).
I'd like some gridding options too:
  • Fastest time on track on current server
  • Fastest time on track (all-time)
  • Reverse grid organized by either of the above
  • Random

B

BrianUK

I hope a hybrid grid setting is possible, where your finishing position in a race will have some, but not total, dictation of your starting position.

If you keep winning, you are more likely to start on the back row of the grid, conversely if you keep losing then you are more likely to start on the front couple of rows. Winning doesn't prevent you getting a random start at the front of the grid, but it reduces the chances of that happening.