Weekly Report #9

longtimeago

"When in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
BrianUK said:
I hope a hybrid grid setting is possible, where your finishing position in a race will have some, but not total, dictation of your starting position.

If you keep winning, you are more likely to start on the back row of the grid, conversely if you keep losing then you are more likely to start on the front couple of rows. Winning doesn't prevent you getting a random start at the front of the grid, but it reduces the chances of that happening.
This would be absolutely brilliant and a fantastic idea in the beginning stages of the game where everyones 'skill' is neutral! Well, in my opinion it is. This will make the races enjoyable and challenging for all.
If you land in a lobby however with all players around your skill level, it should be somewhat randomized imo. But for lobbies with different skill sets this solution could easily be implemented I think. Lowest skills in front, highest skills in back.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
For a single race event, I would stick with a random grid start.

Now if we can great create tournaments of 6-12 events and game keeps a score, then I like to see what was done in GRID 1, highest score, start back of grid, lowest score get to start up front. First race of tournament would be a random start.

One problem we had with this in GRID 1, was some players would quit after race finish and rejoin lobby and get to start up front. To stop this, I would put all new joining players at back of grid for the next race ( if have 0 points ).

And this should be a host option how to do grid start. If host wants to do a random start for the tournament, host should be able to pick it.

sam223

Weeked Smasher
rwb said:
sam223 said:
I hope graded grids will become a feature later along the line (along with keeping random grid option).The best solution i am not sure at the minute. Maybe multiple options? Reverse grid based on previous race,reverse grid based on positions from entire session,reverse grid based on total game performance,reverse grid based on car upgrade points (class A at the back,C at the front).
I'd like some gridding options too:
  • Fastest time on track on current server
  • Fastest time on track (all-time)
  • Reverse grid organized by either of the above
  • Random
Fastest laps could cause some issues,as some chassis are fastest than others.Unless is a chassis specific fastest lap of all time. This is my biggest gripe with the current F1 setup,fastest car is fastest in qualifying,getting 1 grid position and then generally winning the race also.

Purple44 said:

Now if we can great tournaments of 6-12 events and game keeps a score, then I like to see what was done in GRID 1, highest score, start back of grid, lowest score get to start up front. First race of tournament would be a random start.

One problem we had with this in GRID 1, was some players would quit after race finish and rejoin lobby and get to start up front. To stop this, I would put all new joining players at back of grid for the next race ( if have 0 points ).

And this should be a host option how to do grid start. If host wants to do a random start for the tournament, host should be able to pick it.
This is a good point,if its session specific i.e 5 race tournament then reset. Anyone who join mid tournament should start at the very back as a 'rookie',with the reverse grid in front of them

Jo5h

Purple44 said:

Now if we can great tournaments of 6-12 events and game keeps a score, then I like to see what was done in GRID 1, highest score, start back of grid, lowest score get to start up front. First race of tournament would be a random start.

I approve, good idea! Maybe even for pick-up races? Host has a choice to set grid to reverse previous result, with new players at the back? Would keep it interesting.

rhamm

Weeked Smasher
Team Bugbear Member
I heard they're going to release the update when it's ready.

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
rhamm said:
I heard they're going to release the update when it's ready.
What? Who told you that!? Quick grab him, he has insider information!! ;D

I think Bugbear got sucked into the super massive blackhole that is Valve Time :p
Oh dear, I hope not. If so they'll go silent for a long while. Then, late 2016 someone will leak a screenshot of another game they are working on, then another 2 years silence... ;)

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
Usmovers_02 said:
Lari Fari said:
crazychris4124 said:
How much longer till the update?
Have you ever received an answer to that question? :p
Lol I was about to say the same thing :p
And it's not by accident, either ;)

Truth be told, I don't know the answer. It could be we reach the fabled "good enough" status today, it could be tomorrow, it could be next week, or the week after that. The thing here is, neither do the guys doing the physics work -- it's not a progress bar that gets filled, it's a quagmire of interlocking values that must be balanced. When that balance is found, it's attained nirvana, and the build will be pushed out.