Weekly Report #9

Holybeer

Jori Virtanen said:
[

Truth be told, I don't know the answer. It could be we reach the fabled "good enough" status today, it could be tomorrow, it could be next week, or the week after that. The thing here is, neither do the guys doing the physics work -- it's not a progress bar that gets filled, it's a quagmire of interlocking values that must be balanced. When that balance is found, it's attained nirvana, and the build will be pushed out.

vogurt

Been almost a month since I've played. I hope it's not another month, because I'm not playing until the next update is pushed.

lobsterfran

Purple44 said:
Jori Virtanen said:
Purple44 said:
So I'm thinking after the second to last place player crosses the finish, either have a 30 second timer kick in for last player to cross finish line or just go berserk on the other players left in the race. Can last place player take out the leader before timer counts down to zero ( go backwards )?
We considered that the second to last player triggers the elimination of the last player by crossing the finish line, but there are problems, like, say, there's two griefers in the race. The asshats decide to make racing miserable for everyone else with the least effort possible, so they just hang back. The second to last and the last driver never cross the finish line, which means the elimination doesn't trigger at all. All these two need to do to piss everyone off is to wait it out :)
That's why we ended up with "first player crossing the finishing line triggers the elimination effect" solution. It's not perfect, either, but it's better than opening doors for griefing.

As for that warning that you're about to be eliminated? We're working on that. The players definitely need some kind of message that they'll soon be out of the race, or they just up and die just like that when the first player crosses the finishing line, and that sudden death stuff ain't any fun. One solution is that timer you mentioned, another is the distance the first player has left before a new lap starts. In both cases, we want the last and second to last players to know that there's precious little time left, because we want there to be pressure. When there's pressure, there's more insane risks, and when there's insane risks, hilarity often ensues :)

I did not think about second to last player could do the same thing. So agree using the first player to cross finish line would be better. A 30 second timer be short enough on most tracks, but on the oval, players do 18-20 second laps. So elimination timer have be like 15 seconds. I would like a chance to pit the guy in front of me if I was last or put him into the wall. :D
I think I have a solution for that. It's a bit more complex, but I think it would work, plus introduces a bit more randomness into the elimination race format.
Ok, I shall begin....

Each time the lead driver passes the start/finish, start a counter (perhaps 30 seconds for longer tracks- 1 minute for short tracks) but only if there is NOT already a counter in place. After this time period, the last place driver is eliminated.

If the driver who triggered the timer is destroyed before the timer expires, the countdown is cancelled, and the newly promoted leader will trigger the next countdown.

Additionally, if you are 1 lap down on the driver 1 place ahead of you while a timer expires, you get immediately eliminated, as does everyone else behind you.
This leads to the possibility that perhaps towards the end of the race, positions 2, 3 and 4 are crawling along, wheels missing, barely able to steer... the moment position 1 laps 2nd place driver, positions 2,3 and 4 ALL run the risk of being eliminated.

I think this would create havoc, as positions 2, 3 and 4 would ALL need to try to destroy or unlap the lead driver in this case, to avoid ALL being eliminated. Working together, they stand a chance to grasp victory from the claws of defeat.

To prevent the last few players from never triggering the countdown, (and annoying those waiting in the lobby) after a timeout where no leader has crossed the start/finish line in maybe 2x the average track lap time, trigger an end race timer. Race positions at the end of this timer are final. Race over
Might also be a good idea to allow at any point those remaining in the race, to vote for the end of race. Unanimous vote ends the race immediately.

These methods would avoid scenarios where long, tedious drawn out ends of races or stalemates occur (where all remaining players can barely move / are stuck out of the track boundaries).

---------------------
I appreciate this is a bit long as an explanation, but I believe this method would fit the game well.

Ste@mroll

Hey Bugbear, is there any chance that night racing could be featured in Wreckfest? Going by the looks of the current environment settings it seems like actual rain is possible, but I'm curious to hear what you have to say about that.

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
Ste@mroll said:
Hey Bugbear, is there any chance that night racing could be featured in Wreckfest? Going by the looks of the current environment settings it seems like actual rain is possible, but I'm curious to hear what you have to say about that.
There's a chance, but it's unlikely. Developing night time lighting to existing tracks would take a lot of effort, as we can't rely on floodlights on the cars themselves because they'd just get knocked out in the first turn. So, you need to see where you're going with whatever ambient light there is. Developing that would require specialized assets for the tracks, and the result is still hazardous: a game where your car gets smashes up real easy, and a track where you can barely see where you're going. We don't see that becoming very popular a weather condition, so justifying the development costs instead of spending them on something we absolutely need is, well, difficult :)

Rain we could make, but doing that right would necessitate creating a physics model on how the rain affects different terrains, which means a shedload of work. We could, of course, just create an illusion of rain with graphics effect that won't affect anything at all, but what would be the point of that? :)

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Jori Virtanen said:
Rain we could make, but doing that right would necessitate creating a physics model on how the rain affects different terrains, which means a shedload of work. We could, of course, just create an illusion of rain with graphics effect that won't affect anything at all, but what would be the point of that? :)

I vote for snow over rain. ;)

Want snow tracks? Let Bugbear know here.

Track report tomorrow. :) report #10

Going have lots of pics or video Jori?

crazychris4124

Full time wrecker
Jori Virtanen said:
Ste@mroll said:
There's a chance, but it's unlikely. Developing night time lighting to existing tracks would take a lot of effort, as we can't rely on floodlights on the cars themselves because they'd just get knocked out in the first turn. So, you need to see where you're going with whatever ambient light there is. Developing that would require specialized assets for the tracks, and the result is still hazardous: a game where your car gets smashes up real easy, and a track where you can barely see where you're going. We don't see that becoming very popular a weather condition, so justifying the development costs instead of spending them on something we absolutely need is, well, difficult :)

but wrecking people would be amazing...

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Maybe some sort of fake dusk time setting would be suitable. Setup so its almost like racing under floodlights even though there are non.Drastically darken skybox,increase distance of shadows cast,increase reflections on metallic surface,slightly darken track/object textures

vogurt

crazychris4124 said:
Jori Virtanen said:
Ste@mroll said:

but wrecking people would be amazing...

HAHA. I lol'd. Dank meme bro.

Conte Zero

Crash hard, then crash harder.
Full time wrecker
FOG would be cool as well. Just dreaming of wreckless driving and, out of the blue, you see a bunch of wrecked cars in the middle of the track, at 140mph. Or a madball car, flipping and crashing , right on your windshield!