Weeks 37 and 38, Here We Go!

J

Jori_BB

All right, what’s going on this week?

Well, to be honest, we could just clone last week’s post about what we’re doing and go with that, as it’s mostly all about testing the next build. As it is, Build #6 will come out either for the next weekend or right after, depending on how sure (and cocky) we feel about its online stability. Friday may indeed be iffy, since if the build proves out to be buggy and requiring a hotfix, we can’t do it until Monday, which would leave you with a crippled game over the weekend. So, we’ll see, we’ll see.
In any case, when the build is out, we'll be collating bug reports and possibly applying a hotfix as quickly as possible. So, that'll be weeks 37 and 38.

The thing here that requires most of our attention is getting the online functionality just right. That is an enormous task. We know that we’re not there, not by far, but we’re still happy that we finally have a working online functionality in the first place! At the moment, though, the best we – and you – can hope for is that the game won’t crash or lag out every time you hit the dirt. That’s why we’re testing so much this week – to squash all the bugs and remove all the snags we possibly can, so you can enjoy Build #6 as fully as possible, and it’ll only get better from here :)

As for new tracks,… We’re still working on new routes, but it is very unlikely that they’ll be in such state that we want to push them out. Except one: Speedway, an oval racing road with a figure 8 track in the middle. So, you’ll be getting two for one here. Not a bad deal, huh?

Continuing with the good news, the new car, the European coupe we named Genk is indeed in this build. The time to unleash that beast is nigh!

One addition is worth mentioning here: field of vision. We’re adding a slider for an angle change – our default is 60 degree FoV, and you’ll be able to change it by additional 30 degrees. Test it out, as your field of vision has a surprising effect on how you perceive your speed and surroundings. (Enlarging the FoV will cause distortion on the edges of the screen, but this is just the first step.)

Stay tuned, good folks, and have fun :)

-Jori Virtanen, game designer, Bugbear Entertainment

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
Sounds great! Really looking forward to testing the online funtionality! :D

New Track AND new car, awesome!

Could you maybe give a little hint, wether you changed some physics (damage, handling and so on) in this build? :)

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
Lari Fari said:
Could you maybe give a little hint, wether you changed some physics (damage, handling and so on) in this build? :)
We did, but it's best to go into detail later on, in the proper Build #6 post.

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
Jori thank you very much for this info! wish you guys the best in all you do. also I cannot wait to play on the Speedway track!

Aerotactics

Genk Eh? Already have a slot in my trainer for its paintjobs :D Can't wait to test online with everyone, hopefully including the devs! BTW, do you guys have "Dev gear" or "Dev Paintjobs" that you will be racing with? I mean, why not give yourselves some cool dev attributes, like a label or something for your name. Something to make devs easily identifiable.

Genk:

pacman84

Full time wrecker
Here's hope that you guys don't overdo the figure-8 and oval tracks. The Flatout tracks were so cool because they did not look like a boring Formula 1 themed tarmac accumulation.
-pac

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
Jori Virtanen said:
Lari Fari said:
We did, but it's best to go into detail later on, in the proper Build #6 post.
Cool, thats all I needed to know for now! :) Really looking forward to testing that! :)

pacman84 said:
Here's hope that you guys don't overdo the figure-8 and oval tracks. The Flatout tracks were so cool because they did not look like a boring Formula 1 themed tarmac accumulation.
-pac
And i like those tracks a LOT! Makes the races more close and exciting, especially online, i like the more compact tracks just as much as the bigger ones. But for multiplayer i prefer compact ;)

citizenerased

Weeked Smasher
Aerotactics said:
Genk Eh? Already have a slot in my trainer for its paintjobs :D Can't wait to test online with everyone, hopefully including the devs! BTW, do you guys have "Dev gear" or "Dev Paintjobs" that you will be racing with? I mean, why not give yourselves some cool dev attributes, like a label or something for your name. Something to make devs easily identifiable.

Genk:
like this?

If I saw that car online I'd head straight for it, show no mercy.

Aerotactics

citizenerased said:
Aerotactics said:

Genk:
like this?

If I saw that car online I'd head straight for it, show no mercy.
Naw, like the paint jobs the AI have. Since the garage is limited to 5 paintjobs, I found that there are more beyond that, but those are used only for AI currently. BTW, mods using Texmod can't be seen online, but as far as I know, these hidden paintjobs can.

Keras

Full time wrecker
pacman84 said:
-pac
Agreed. Since there is 0 variation possible with those tracks it`s more than enough to have one of these.

I`m really excited to see how online turns out next week :D
I hope we can change tracks and cars now without having to leave the lobby.

Aerotactics

Keras said:
pacman84 said:
-pac
Agreed. Since there is 0 variation possible with those tracks it`s more than enough to have one of these.

Doubt it. There needs to be a load sequence, else we'd be able to change tracks in the lobby as well, and customize our cars.

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Keras said:
pacman84 said:
-pac

Theres plenty of variations of ovals.Surface type (tarmac,concrete,shale,dirt,chalk,clay) smooth/rough,track shape (Oval,D shape,egg shape), fence type (concrete wall,fixed tires,dirt bank,armco,wire and post,ditch),infield type (open/closed,square,round),width of the straights/bends,camber etc etc

e.g this

is nothing like this

or this

E.g Wire and post is much more brutal than armco or solid barrier

Theres 2 reasons why i love short oval racing. You already know the layout so theres no need to learn it or have a minimap,only focus on driving the fastest lap and perfecting your dispatching skills on it. And 2, there always competitors and the carnage that goes with them close by.

Looking forward to new car&track

conso1727

From Italy
Full time wrecker
I hope it will be available on Friday, next week I have to begin a work stage, and I will be able to enjoy it only in the weekend :C

Backlash1337

Great to hear that with the car and the new track :) hopefully the update rolls out at friday but we'll see.
will the Online modus have 12 player slots (like in LAN modus) or less to safe stability ?
and is it possible that some day we can play online with 24 players to get ultimate destruction like in offline mode ?
That would be sick :eek:

Keep up the great work guys! :)

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Aerotactics said:
Keras said:
pacman84 said:
-pac

Doubt it. There needs to be a load sequence, else we'd be able to change tracks in the lobby as well, and customize our cars.
Huh?, any proper racing game online allows host to pick the next track or some racing games have you vote on 2 tracks. And players get to pick the right car for the track.

I do hope loading scene, if not now, by final version show a minimap of the track. :)

I'm hoping with Steamworks, US and Euro players will now be able to race together online without lag. :) LAN Bridger program cause some major lag between US and Euro players.

MSPORTBMW

Master Blaster
pacman84 said:
-pac
Like others said.....I like the smaller tracks....it keeps the cars bunched closer together for more action, especially online !!! Cant wait for the oval and racing some of you guys.
Loving the addition of the new car too.
I too am hoping for a friday release so i can give it a go on saturday.....but im more than happy to wait until Monday or Tuesday if it means getting online being even more stable.
Keep up the great work Bugbear....Ive been waiting for a game like this for years. Flatout was great, but this will be even better as it is more realistic without ragdolls and nitro. And more like the banger racing we see in England.

Roll on the weekend......better start optimizing my laptop. :)

J

Jelco

Great stuff! that figure 8 with the big space in the middle is awesome and ofcourse online play!
also i hope takedows in racing will be just a little more easy and realistic with pit manouvers and cars being able to roll/flip over properly.
i think the rolling part needs a fix because this one time i should have rolled over many times i ended
up sliding forward sideways on 2 wheels for like a 100 meters but it never flipped and started rolling lol

Dillinja187

Sweet !, cant wait to play new build until fingertips and eyes bleed. For now though im going to keep fingertips crossed all goes well with new build, also I agree with the hotfix situation least you can do something straight away if the proverbial hits the fan :)

Sterling work men

Ryno917

Full time wrecker
pacman84 said:
-pac
Formula 1 hasn't race on ovals since the 60s. ;)

Update notes sound good. Looking forward to it!