We're on KICKSTARTER!

dbs213

Master Blaster
I take the "idiots" insult back, I was just rather pissed about the fact that people still care for such bland and boring ol' games like Call of Doody and Need For Greed Speed.

They once shined brightly in the gaming scene but they seem more like cash printers for the media to feed on nowadays.

I've got no other words for this and will shut up about it.

KazzyMac

Unce Unce Wub-wub-wub
Team Bugbear Member
Mopower said:
lol, he was putting out a general statement... And yeah, not going to mention any games but... Need For Speed after Underground 2 sucked. I refuse to get another CoD after Activision acknowledged and ignored known bugs for MW2 for PC which caused certain weapons to be overpowered. I'm moving more towards free to play games and indie companies... The big name producers make stuff like random explosions, low detailed, industrialized crap for the sheer entertainment of impressionable 12 year olds that love violence and explosions.
Blur is the reason I'll never buy another Activision game ever again. Blur, taking Drifter Mod out of the equation, is probably one of the best and balanced arcade racing games of all time. But then because it wasn't Carl of Duty Black Cops, Activision canned it and its developer, and in the process pissed off about 75% of the xbox racing community to the point that I heard most of them intending to boycott Destiny because Activision are publishing it.

Anyways, on the subject of NFS - I respect your opinion. NFSU2 is the only NFS game that I've played that I never finished, simply because there was so much to do in terms of customization, racing and free-roaming that I never managed it. I think I got as far as unlocking scissor doors. I then got stuck. I really need to grab that game on PC and get it finished.

However, sure, games beyond NFSU2 have been catered more for the 'gaming kids' generation that games like carl of duty are made for, but there are still some gems. NFS: Most Wanted (2005) was a brilliant game. There wasn't as much customization, sure, but the racing was solid and the cop chases brilliant. People regard The Run as a big flop but as an online-multiplayer game, the races were still fun even if a few circuit tracks wouldn't have gone amiss. NFS: Most Wanted (2012) is best regarded as Burnout Paradise 2 but again, with friends the online is heaps of fun. NFS:Rivals is looking like it's going to be good too with the advancement of the cops-vs-racers shtick that was introduced from Hot Pursuit.

Maybe none of them are in the same league as NFSU2 and the original Most Wanted in terms of core singleplayer gameplay, but I still consider them good games in their own rights. The developers are still trying new things with each one - Carbon introduced the concept of crews/clans and 1-v-1 touge races, Hot Pursuit gave the modern gaming era the concept of being able to play as the 'good' (cops) or bad 'illegal racers' guys.

On this subject I couldn't possibly compare NFS to FlatOut. They're completely different premises, completely different strengths. These days NFS is all about driving fast cars very very fast. FlatOut is all about driving cars into other cars and obliterating them like a maniac. I enjoy NFS for the speed, but I enjoy FlatOut for being able to indulge the dirty-sported side of me, the spectacle of car-on-car fisticuffs. It's a shame that the Kickstarter hasn't caught on like I'd hoped it would, but then again a lot of games and things I've seen on there recently have fallen very very flat.

Still, we know what Bugbear are making and we know from experience that what they will make will be mind-blowingly good. Besides, we don't need those 12-year-old carl of duty kids on the race-track shouting at us about 'our mommas' because they can't figure out that they need to use the brake pedal to finish a lap. Cannon fodder. xP

Usmovers_02

Full time wrecker
This game may fail on KS and the game will likely be smaller than we want but I firmly believe it will still be amazing. If the game sells well enough for a sequel then this new franchise will have a reputation. A positive reputation can really bring people in as we've seen with the rep BB earned through FO. So this game may be smaller than we want but the next game should be bigger :)

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Usmovers_02 said:
This game may fail on KS and the game will likely be smaller than we want but I firmly believe it will still be amazing. If the game sells well enough for a sequel then this new franchise will have a reputation. A positive reputation can really bring people in as we've seen with the rep BB earned through FO. So this game may be smaller than we want but the next game should be bigger :)
Or Bugbear could do an expansion pack 6 month after release that would have the features Bugbear would like to add if they had the money to continue more development of NCG.

crazychris4124

Full time wrecker
Purple44 said:
Usmovers_02 said:
Or Bugbear could do an expansion pack 6 month after release that would have the features Bugbear would like to add if they had the money to continue more development of NCG.
that could work

ExxionNexxion

Team Bugbear Member
Purple44 said:
Usmovers_02 said:

Patches sure are a viable option! :)

jadedcyborg

Full time wrecker
Usmovers_02 said:
Problem is it's bloody hard to sell a game (well enough to turn a profit) without a marketing budget. Truth is, Bugbear needs a publisher. They tried this crowdfunding thing to avoid having to bow to a publisher, but since it's about to fail they'll have to face the music or go down with the ship.

M

Mopower

jadedcyborg said:
Usmovers_02 said:
Problem is it's bloody hard to sell a game (well enough to turn a profit) without a marketing budget. Truth is, Bugbear needs a publisher. They tried this crowdfunding thing to avoid having to bow to a publisher, but since it's about to fail they'll have to face the music or go down with the ship.
I believe bugbear said they already have the means to produce the final game? All this extra funding is only to add more things that us fans have asked for...

buzzkill4thewin

Full time wrecker
I backed NCG on KS, but in hopefully an unlikely event that the goal isn't met, will the direct preorder option be put back up on nextcargame.com ?

RacerBest

Team Bugbear Member
buzzkill4thewin said:
I backed NCG on KS, but in hopefully an unlikely event that the goal isn't met, will the direct preorder option be put back up on nextcargame.com ?
Yes.

Cornkid

Yada Yada - Actions speak louder
Full time wrecker
buzzkill4thewin said:
Devs have previously said that pre-orders will be back up in the event of a fail. Hopefully with a wide payment option.

I wouldnt be surprised if steam greenlight process moves on a bit further, and you can order thru steam soon after that.

Its early days yet, and BB are focusing on game me thinks, which is good, stick around m8, they are as keen to get youre money as you are to spend it ;)

jadedcyborg

Full time wrecker
Mopower said:
I believe bugbear said they already have the means to produce the final game? All this extra funding is only to add more things that us fans have asked for...
Yes, they have promised to release the game regardless. But that's not the same as turning a profit, and they need marketing to turn a profit.

Usmovers_02

Full time wrecker
They've said they're not completely closed to the idea of getting a publisher. It's a pretty tough call. I could certainly live with a smaller game than they wanted to ship but I'd be very unhappy if a publisher understandably decided to mess around with BBs vision.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Usmovers_02 said:
They've said they're not completely closed to the idea of getting a publisher. It's a pretty tough call. I could certainly live with a smaller game than they wanted to ship but I'd be very unhappy if a publisher understandably decided to mess around with BBs vision.
Bugbear may need a publisher to take NCG to the consoles, but I hope Bugbear can avoid using a publisher for the PC version. Bugbear has gotten over the biggest hurdle to selling a PC game, they got NCG on Steam where most PC games are sold these days. Not retail stores shelves like back in Flatout 1 days.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Administrator
Staff member
Exactly, we are first and foremost considering publishing partners for the console versions. It remains to see how much Sony and Microsoft are opening up their platforms for independent developers, but as far as we can see publishers are still very much needed especially in retail. And to be honest we really have nothing against publishers, given that the publisher wants to work on mutual partnership basis, taking into account what's best for the game.

As for our Kickstarter, all is definitely not lost in case the campaign is a failure. We can still ship a game that will offer a full experience and hopefully that way attract a larger audience so that we can keep on expanding the game and adding more content.

Fantazm

I just registered and paid $40 on kickstarter, if goal is not met, what is going to happen? Do we have to go thru refund process or we still get the game?..

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Fantazm said:
I just registered and paid $40 on kickstarter, if goal is not met, what is going to happen? Do we have to go thru refund process or we still get the game?..
Right now you have only made a pledge, your credit card has not been charge. If kickstarter reaches the $350,000 goal in pledges, then your credit card will get charge the $40 amount.

If kickstarter come up short, no one is charge their pledge amount and Bugbear get $0 dollars. No one from Kickstarter get a game or any of the kickstarter rewards. You will have to wait for Bugbear pre-order page to go back up or wait until NCG goes live on Steam, to pre-order. Don't know if rewards will still be offered or not.