What’s up for Week 36?

Jori Virtanen

Automatic weapons and boundless love.
Hey all y’all!

Another week is starting off here at Bugbear. A lot of effort is now being put into pushing out the next build – if all goes well, Build #6 should see the light of day early next week. However, like always, this is subject to change – if we hit a serious snag, we may need to delay the launch so we can fix the issue. That’s a better solution than releasing a crippled game, right?
In any case, Build #6 is almost here :)

So, what are we working on, then?
First, definitely the best news we can have: online racing is finally here! The network code seems stable enough to withstand internal testing, but we need to put it through its paces some more before we can be certain it’ll hold up. That being said, it will crash, and it flail, and it will lag, and otherwise give you a hard time, but such is the nature of a work in progress :)

Next up is a new car, which, again, should work well enough to be included in the next batch, but we can’t make any definite promises. It may be wise to push this beauty into Build #7, but we’ll see. In any case, the newest baby is modeled after a famous European coupe, and it sure is pretty as a picture! Of course, that’s before it’s been through a few laps of some serious demolition derby :p
It’s also been noted that the car appears to be almost too shiny to be a banger. Yep, this is true – the rust and other finishing touches to the appearance will come later on.

The level artists are busy making a few new tracks for us, namely an oval track, a Figure 8 track, and a new Gravel Pit track! However, it’s unlikely that any of these will make it for Build #6, for there’s lots and lots to be done before these babies can hatch.
Be that as it may, here’s a few pictures of how the Gravel Pit looks like from the modelers’ end, just to give you a glimpse behind the scenes, and how the track almost seems like a juryrigged apparatus of bubblegum and wire under a paper thin veneer of polished facade. Also a shot of the new Figure 8 track from the bird’s-eye view gives an inkling of what the future promises.

As a small but certainly welcome addition, we also added a new automatic camera view for reversing, so you can see where – or at whom – you’re reversing without having to hold a key down to look back. Yeah, we’re kind and merciful that way. Let us know what you think of it, especially if you think it could be better (and how).

In addition to this, we’ll be planning, scheming, fabricating, contriving, devising and outlining a whole lot of gimmicks and features we’ll work on later down the road. We’re gaining more and more focus, day by day, and a seriously huge chunk of that is because of our fans. Thank you, a million times, for your constructive feedback. Keep it coming, we’re most certainly listening.

Stay tuned, folks, good things ahead, and if you've a mind to share with us what you think, don't hesitate :)

-Jori Virtanen, game designer, Bugbear Entertainment​

conso1727

From Italy
Full time wrecker
Can't wait to see the build, and give that online code an hell of a test!
Will we ever find you in game once online is up?

Gents,

The time is nigh, please stay calm and shelter you'r loved ones in a place where no harm can be done. Lock the doors of your homes. Hoard the heavenly fluid called beer, prepare the beef, trim your beard.

Cause i'll trash your car and make it personal.

Sincerly,

Rien

ztox

Great stuff Jori!

I'm loving how big the space in the middle of the fig 8 looks, hope to see lots of carnage there :D

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
I think the cars should come rusty and dented. But if you're willing to spend some money on fresh paint, why shouldn't it be possible to restore the cars to a nce and shiny condition. At least appearing on the outside. ;-)

Lari Fari said:
I think the cars should come rusty and dented. But if you're willing to spend some money on fresh paint, why shouldn't it be possible to restore the cars to a nce and shiny condition. At least appearing on the outside. ;-)
And for a bonus you can put Nicolas Cage in the driver's seat, with his hair waving in the wind!

conso1727

From Italy
Full time wrecker
The idea of a shiny skin is not that bad, actually. So we would know who to target first D:<

Needles Kane

Weeked Smasher
Lari Fari said:
I agree with Lari. I'm not fan of pristine condition paint but some peoples like them and why remove that paintjob if it's allready done.

Lari Fari

Gaming Since 1989
Yeah man! How satisfying would it be to put that first dent in someones untouched paintjob! :D

And on the other hand: As this game will be played by many car lovers. It would be nice to fix up cars you don't necessarily want to tear up in a derby. So you can spend possible surplus winnings on perfecting your favorite car which you would never race in a derby. :)

Great news!

Btw, will the Figure 8 track replace the one we have? I have the feeling the one currently in game is pure madness, close to a derby experience, while the one you're working on is more like a real track.

Needles Kane

Weeked Smasher
Victor Cortez said:
Great news!

Btw, will the Figure 8 track replace the one we have? I have the feeling the one currently in game is pure madness, close to a derby experience, while the one you're working on is more like a real track.
No, I think not. Why they remove that if it's allready done and many peoples like it.

chuckskyline

Master Blaster
Wait.. the devs don't have a secret magic wand that can finish the game completely?!!? FAIL!

:)

I really like the insight of what the guys are doing and these weekly progress reports. It would be awesome, to get some behind the scene footage, and maybe a brief 1-2minute interview with some of the guys (hoping they can speak english) on what they are working on, that would be awesome.

Keep up the good work. I'll wait patiently